Author Topic: Josh Gibcus [merged]  (Read 45643 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Josh Gibcus [merged]
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2022, 09:00:39 PM »
Dimma post-game confirmed Gibbo has a shoulder injury but not sure yet to what degree or how many weeks he will miss.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2022, 08:34:30 PM »
One of the top 5 nominees for the AFLPA's best first player award.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2022, 03:01:41 PM »
Richmond General Manager- Football Talent Blair Hartley said that the highly talented Gibcus was important to the Club’s future.

“Josh has had an exceptional debut season of AFL football and is continuing to learn and improve his craft,” he said.

“To play so much senior football in his first season is a great achievement for Josh as a young key position player and is a credit to the hard work he has put in since first arriving at the Club.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1207969/impressive-young-tigers-commit-to-richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2022, 04:56:21 AM »
Gibbo, despite being the lowest ranked player on the ground last night (after the injured McInerney), hopefully as a future KPD takes the most learnings from last night and this year (18 games) into next preseason.

8 disposals (2k, 6h, 5c, 2u, 50% eff.)
0 marks
1 tackle
1 inside 50
6 intercepts
106 metres gained
1 score involvement
94% time on ground

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2022, 07:40:41 AM »
Looks great athletically but he has had a nervous and fumbly back half of the year IMO.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2022, 07:45:32 AM »

Was disappointing last night

Looked very much over awed

But as Willie highlighted back half of the year he's been fumbly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2022, 08:21:04 AM »
Cost us a few times.  Lacked poise which is understandable

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2022, 08:27:54 AM »

Was disappointing last night

Looked very much over awed

But as Willie highlighted back half of the year he's been fumbly
yep

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2022, 09:25:05 AM »
Brisbane kicked two goals directly from errors Gibcus made.

But plenty of other - more experienced - players made errors cosing us on the scoreboard

Hate the term he will learn from it but that is exactly what he needs to do. Has plenty of time at 19 to become a rock in defence.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2022, 04:54:14 AM »
28. Josh Gibcus

Had “a touch of the fumbles” according to Channel 7’s Brian Taylor, dropping several marks. Looked like the occasion got to him.

Foxsports rating: 2

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #190 on: September 04, 2022, 10:09:53 AM »
28. Josh Gibcus

Had “a touch of the fumbles” according to Channel 7’s Brian Taylor, dropping several marks. Looked like the occasion got to him.

Foxsports rating: 2

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-finals-2022-richmond-tigers-vs-brisbane-lions-second-elimination-final-highlights-stats-best-and-worst-players/news-story/7fc45960b9d79ca09461c1ff3de0ff76

Reading all these ratings

So far the only one they've got spot on.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2022, 01:26:04 PM »
Hope we continue to play him as a regular next season. Looks very likely and he will be so much better for the off season with another season in the gym.
Imo would be a huge step backwards for us if we fail to continue to pump games into him.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2022, 07:03:42 PM »
He will be better with a preseason and this years experience  behind him. I have high expectations

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #193 on: November 09, 2022, 05:41:54 AM »
@Richmond_FC defender Josh Gibcus joins us in studio!

https://twitter.com/brayandethan/status/1589914472889868291

Got any questions for Josh while he’s in Perth?

#BrayandEthan #Perth #AFL #Footy #Richmond #RichmondFC

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2022, 01:50:07 AM »
“I DO PINCH MYSELF”: GIBCUS LOVING “UNREAL” RICHMOND EXPERIENCE

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
11 November 2022

Josh Gibcus impressed many with the way he went about his business for Richmond in 2022.

The no.9 draft pick featured in 18 games in his debut campaign in the yellow and black and picked up the club’s Best First Year Player award for his troubles.

Gibcus’ first experience at AFL level came in front of more than 72,000 fans at the MCG against Carlton in Round 1 and it is something that he won’t forget anytime soon, even if it did end in defeat.

“Shane Edwards put it in a good light which was walking out before the game and to take a look around the whole stadium and the crowd and take it all in,” he said on SEN’s Overnights.

“You couldn’t hear your own thoughts with (almost) 75,000 people there. Playing in that match, you couldn’t hear yourself or your teammates or anything, but it was just unreal to be able to say that I did play Round 1 against Carlton.

“It was an unfortunate loss but it was a good starting point (for me).”

After what many would consider a more than proficient debut season, Gibcus admits he at times has to pinch himself just to remember where he is and what he does for a living.

Especially considering the company he keeps, namely co-captain Dylan Grimes, three-time premiership skipper Trent Cotchin and superstar Dustin Martin.

“I do pinch myself quite a bit saying that I have been picked by Richmond and got to play a few games this year,” he added.

“It’s big to realise that I have lived out my dream as a kid to be able to play on the big stage with a couple of big names such as ‘Grimesy’, ‘Cotch’ and ‘Dusty’.

“I was honoured to be able to put on the jumper first of all and to be named Best First Year Player was a good honour.”

The GWV Rebels product, who slotted in nicely to Richmond’s defence this year, was also able to experience living with triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick during the season.

“‘Dimma’ is an unreal bloke,” the 19-year-old said.

“He’s probably one of the better blokes I’ve met. I got to actually live with him for a couple of months so I got to know him a bit better.

“He loves Richmond, he loves the boys and he’ll do anything for us. You can see that, on and off the field.

“He’s one of the best coaches I’ve had over my footy career.”

Having lost the Elimination Final narrowly to Brisbane, 2023 looms as a massive year for the Tigers who many believe may have lost their shot at another flag with the current playing list.

However, there are some pundits who are adamant that Richmond, after adding Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper, remain well and truly in contention.

Gibcus concurs.

“We just got Taranto and Hopper and obviously they’re unreal players,” he said further.

“I got to play against both of them in the early rounds of the year. They were standouts for them and I think they’ll help us a lot coming into our side.

“I think the run is not over. We still have a chance to be top four by the end of next year and even have a run for the premiership as well.

“I don’t think it’s quite over yet.”

With this month’s draft rapidly approaching, Gibcus recalls last year’s edition when the Tigers grabbed him inside the top 10 ahead of St Kilda.

And he has not looked back since.

“It was between Richmond and St Kilda. There were a couple of other clubs as well,” said the key back.

“But Richmond, it was a great pick (to have). To be able to get picked up by them and play for them this year was obviously a great honour and I’m privileged to be able to put on the jumper.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/11/11/i-do-pinch-myself-gibcus-loving-unreal-richmond-experience/