Author Topic: Josh Gibcus [merged]  (Read 56536 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 9: Josh Gibcus
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2022, 09:57:56 AM »
If and i say its a big if, this kid is ready to play then it still fees up Balta to play fwd.

Personally i like the idea of a dour big one on one shut down player to take over from Astbury for me the one with the size height strength should be Miller.

If Miller is only a magoos player then why did we keep him.

Ideally the future that is three year time would be Miller= Astbury  Gibcus = a taller Grimes  and Balta = hopefully Rance but after his season im not sold on that.

Right now we have Grimes and Tarrant that frees a natural fwd like Balta up to actually go fwd while we get games into the other two.

Can tell you Miller has had a very good pre-season and is keen to step up this year. Can also play as a running defender (Broad type) which provides us, and him, flexibility.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2022, 04:17:52 PM »
Riewoldt on Richmond’s ‘very special’ new player

By Jon Pierik
The Age
February 17, 2022

Richmond great Jack Riewoldt has hailed draftee Josh Gibcus as a “very special player” who is as athletically gifted as any young key-position player he’s seen.

Gibcus, a top-10 selection in last year’s national draft who attended St Pat’s college in Ballarat, was regarded as the best key defender in the draft, and is seen as the archetypal, new-age, defensive tall.

Riewoldt, now in his 16th season, said he had never seen a rookie as athletic as the 196-centimetre youngster.

“Gibcus has played every single minute on me [in the pre-season] and I think he is going to be a very special player that the Richmond faithful should be very excited about what he brings,” he said.

“I had dinner with my cousin [Nick Riewoldt] last night and I was chatting to him about him and I said he is as athletically gifted as I have ever seen a young key position come in. And he has got a real thirst and want to learn.

“In terms of the profile of player who you want to get into the club, he fits the mould. I don’t want to put too much pressure on him, he probably does a little bit of that himself, but we expect him to be a very good player for us going forward.”

The Tigers have young, exciting talent to unleash or give further opportunity to. But they are also stacked with talent heading towards the end of their careers.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/riewoldt-on-retirement-legacy-and-richmond-s-very-special-new-player-20220216-p59wv7.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2022, 05:02:02 PM »
Josh Gibcus

The reviews out of Richmond on Josh Gibcus this summer have been pretty effusive, and he didn't put a foot wrong in his first showing.

The intercepting defender is still lightly framed, but even so he held his own matched up on Jeremy Cameron. Gibcus will get games this year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-28/rookie-round-up-from-the-first-weekend-of-afl-preseason-games/100867146

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2022, 08:10:42 PM »
Josh Gibcus has recorded a team-high seven intercept possessions for Richmond.

13 disposals (9k, 4h, 6c, 6u, 69.2% eff.)
2 marks
3 tackles
7 intercepts
1 inside 50
79 metres gained
2 score involvements
2 frees for
81% time on ground

https://www.afl.com.au/matches/4009#timeline

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2022, 08:52:07 PM »
Impressive

Reckon he is a look for round 1
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2022, 09:40:03 PM »
Impressive

Reckon he is a look for round 1

Lock even +1 . Ver impressed.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2022, 11:09:43 AM »
Great matchup for silvagni round one. 

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
People seem to be evenly divided as to whether he's ready to go or still miles off it....reckon he demonstrates signs of both which puts him in front of most first year tall kids who are usually just the latter... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2022, 04:58:02 PM »
At the KFC SuperCoach launch event Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph revealed to passengers on “The SuperCoach” (SuperCoach’s official bus) that Josh Gibcus ($171,300 DEF) looks likely to play every match in 2022 as long as he remains fit.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/supercoach-news/kfc-supercoach-2022-latest-whispers-selection-and-injury-news-from-every-club/news-story/86c842ddfd98213bee3e6f15a93a33b3

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2022, 12:15:49 PM »
Debut confirmed!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Josh Gibcus to debut [update]
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
“Look forward to it, mate. Just bring your strengths, that’s all you’ve gotta do.”

The moment Dimma told Josh Gibcus that he would debut in Round 1.

WATCH: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1503527602170269696

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »

Josh Gibcus will make his senior debut in Richmond's season opener against Carlton on Thursday night at the MCG.

The 18-year-old key defender, 196cm and 87kg, was Richmond's first selection in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft, taken with pick No. 9.

The athletic Tiger was born in Brisbane and grew up in Queensland and Western Australia before moving to Ballarat.

He was touted as the best intercept defender in last year's draft pool, leading the NAB League for intercept marks playing for Greater Western Victoria Rebels in 2021.

Announcing the news to the playing group on Tuesday morning, coach Damien Hardwick said Gibcus had done a power of work to earn his guernsey.

"There’s nothing more exciting than when you add a new face," Hardwick said.

"It’s exciting, first and foremost, for Josh and his family, but it’s exciting for us as a team.

"We’re very fortunate to have first gamers come in and make an immediate contribution.

"Look forward to it, mate. Just bring your strengths, that’s all you’ve gotta do."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1077652

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2022, 02:01:46 PM »
Congrats Gibby. All the best on Thursday night :clapping.

What a way to make your AFL debut - at the 'G in front of 80K+ fans!  :thumbsup
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2022, 02:51:32 PM »
Wishing him al the best. He’s gonna be in fine company. Hope they give him a block of at least 4 games to let him play with a bit more freedom and not freezer up when he’s going to have his colours lowered a bit which is inevitable for a first gamer

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2022, 06:54:53 PM »

Source: AFLphotos.com.au