Author Topic: RIP Shane Martin  (Read 4619 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: RIP Shane Martin
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2021, 12:39:55 AM »
Covid?

>:(

Will repeat cause of death has not been released 

So please out of respect don't speculate
I don’t know how asking a question is speculating anything.  :help

Agree 1000%

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2021, 10:28:27 AM »
Covid?

Why the question? Was it really necessary, is it that important to know right now?

People can put up a dozens of words with question marks next to them and say "just asking a question, not speculating". In the end the questions lead to speculating

As the cause of death hasn't been released. Don't think it is too much to ask to let things take there course.

Also, don’t think it is that hard to show some respect (which Dusty has asked for) and just wait to find out what happened.

As MT said losing a parent at any age is devastating.

Speculating, questioning what happened doesn't help the 3 blokes who lost their Dad. It doesn't help Shane's wife and girls. Support and respect is all we can offer right now and I don't think it is too much to ask
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 05:40:40 AM »
Just awfully sad news. Losing your parent(s) is devastating. Dusty was obviously very close to his dad. He would always send shoutouts to his dad whenever interviewed and he would fly to NZ to spend time with his dad whenever there was a break in the season. Deepest sympathies and condolences to Dusty and the whole Martin family. Take as much time as you need Dusty. Family comes first.
Ditto. Deepest condolences to Dustin and his family.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 10:47:44 AM by WilliamPowell »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2021, 07:19:34 AM »
It doesn’t take a genius to know what went on but who cares wp is right.

The tigers will win the flag next year for his old man.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »
Richmond players have rallied around Dustin Martin and his brothers in the wake of their father’s death.

Here’s when Dusty plans to return to the Tigers:
https://bit.ly/30LyArc  @ClarkyHeraldSun

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1472824531798532096

--------------------------------------------

Doing it for dad: When Dusty will be back with Tigers

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has no plans to take an indefinite break from football after the death of his father.

Behind a paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/richmond-superstar-dustin-martin-is-mourning-the-death-of-his-father-but-is-not-planning-on-taking-extended-leave/news-story/fb124cdb80064eef88f42fd523bf2812
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:20:47 PM by one-eyed »

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »
Paywall scum. Any summary would be appreciated?
Go Tigers!

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2021, 10:13:05 AM »
Paywall scum. Any summary would be appreciated?

Seems more speculative than factual because reality is no one not even Dustin will know at this point in time how he will be feeling in 3 weeks or so.  Grief is a process, and everyone will experience it differently with some days much better than others.  Here is the article ........

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin is mourning the death of his father but is not planning on taking extended leave
Richmond players have rallied around Dustin Martin and his brothers in the wake of their father’s death. Here’s when Dusty plans to return to the Tigers.

Jay Clark
2 min read
December 20, 2021 - 6:00PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
9 comments

00:21

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has no plans to take an indefinite break from football after the death of his father.

Martin’s welfare is the Tigers’ No.1 priority as teammates and club staff rally around the champion midfielder and his two brothers, Bronson and Tyson.

Shane Martin died last week in New Zealand, where he has been living since 2016. The cause of death is not suspicious.

Richmond would fully support the brilliant playmaker if he wanted to take some time away from the game in the new year, as one of the game’s biggest stars mourns the loss of his greatest supporter.

However, Martin, 30, has not suggested he wants to step away from the game for any period of time.

It means the Tigers will prepare to welcome the triple premiership Tiger back to training with the rest of his teammates when the club resumes on January 10, or whenever he is ready.

Plans are underway for a funeral.

Almost 10 weeks after the return to training, Richmond will open its season against Carlton in Round 1 on Thursday, March 17 at the MCG.

A pre-season game against Hawthorn in northwestern Tasmania will also take place on Saturday, March 5, to help raise funds for the families of six children tragically killed in a jumping castle accident last week.

A venue for the match is yet to be confirmed. A scratch match against Geelong Cats is also in the works in late February.

Martin had planned to ramp up his training in the new year and enter full contact drills after making a full recovery from a lacerated kidney which he suffered late in the regular season in a clash against Brisbane Lions.

The triple Norm Smith medallist lost more than 10kg in the aftermath but Richmond’s fitness staff have set out a road map for him to regain full strength and running power for the 2022 season.

Martin, who won the 2017 Brownlow Medal with one of the greatest individual seasons of all-time, has three more remaining on his seven-year deal, which expires at the end of 2024.

The brilliant goal kicker recently said he played football for his dad and wanted nothing more for Shane Martin to be able to watch him play from the MCG grandstands.

“I love my dad and he’s made me the man I am today,” Martin said.

The Tigers had their annual general meeting on Monday night, two days after the club publicly declared its support for the Martin family.

More Coverage
Dustin Martin mourning the death of his father
How will Tigers play powerful draft hand?
Richmond closing in on new deal for Tiger king
“The Richmond Football Club is mourning the passing of Shane Martin,” the club said in a statement.

“The club extends its heartfelt sympathy to Dustin, his brothers Bronson and Tyson, and the entire Martin family in this extremely difficult time.”

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2021, 10:39:22 AM »
How the stuff would they know what he wants to do? Doubt footy's even crossed his mind yet.... ::)
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2021, 12:45:29 PM »
How the stuff would they know what he wants to do? Doubt footy's even crossed his mind yet.... ::)

Seems more speculative than factual because reality is no one not even Dustin will know at this point in time how he will be feeling in 3 weeks or so.  Grief is a process, and everyone will experience it differently with some days much better than others.
Both posts spot on.

Give Dusty as much time as he needs to grieve.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2021, 01:39:55 PM »
Dusty’s break from Victoria after dad’s death

Richmond star Dustin Martin has spent Christmas with family and friends in Sydney, making the most of his time away from the Melbourne AFL bubble.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/sheahan-ink-dustys-break-from-victoria-after-dads-death/news-story/b7b2822fb767ba2566540162e1ae512a

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2021, 04:14:01 PM »
Dying alone: Dusty’s dad suffered ‘terrible injustice’

Exiled from Australia, Shane Martin’s final moments were spent in loneliness as his biographer reveals new details surrounding his passing.

The man who co-wrote Shane Martin’s biography has paid tribute to the former bikie boss, saying he was a good man who had suffered a terrible injustice.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martins-loss-author-pays-tribute-to-afl-greats-father-shane-martin-after-he-died-in-auckland-this-month/news-story/fbb5ef94e6d240aaf60bad9a2ed841d3

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2021, 06:37:23 PM »
A biographer who became a close friend has shed light on the sudden death of Shane Martin, the father of AFL star Dustin Martin.

Shane died aged 54 in New Zealand one week before Christmas, with the cause not immediately clear at the time.

Dr Jarrod Gilbert, who said he recently shared a phone call with Shane’s wife, reported the father of three was “all alone” when he suffered a suspected heart attack.

The grieving footballer reportedly spent Christmas in Sydney with family and friends, including former AFL player and supportive friend Michael Gardiner.

The Martin family is said to be hoping to hold Shane’s funeral in Australia.

“Goodbye, Kiwi, you weren’t what the labels suggested. You were a good man, and I will miss you,” Dr Gilbert wrote.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/close-friend-shares-devastating-details-on-death-of-afl-player-dustin-martins-father-shane-c-5099111

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 01:03:24 AM »
Covid?

Why the question? Was it really necessary, is it that important to know right now?

People can put up a dozens of words with question marks next to them and say "just asking a question, not speculating". In the end the questions lead to speculating

As the cause of death hasn't been released. Don't think it is too much to ask to let things take there course.

Also, don’t think it is that hard to show some respect (which Dusty has asked for) and just wait to find out what happened.

As MT said losing a parent at any age is devastating.

Speculating, questioning what happened doesn't help the 3 blokes who lost their Dad. It doesn't help Shane's wife and girls. Support and respect is all we can offer right now and I don't think it is too much to ask
   :help
I didn’t speculate I was legitimately asking about covid because we are currently in a worldwide pandemic and I was concerned it may have been another unfortunate covid death.

I haven’t checked any media at all first I heard was on this forum when I had a quick look at the forum during summer break and saw the news here so I was curious about whether it was Covid related or not.
I’m not interested in any drama or stupid gossip or social media bs. This is the only social media type platform I ever use.
It’s like I’m in a room full of mates and someone says, “hey fellas did you hear Dusty’s dad died?”
What question do you reckon anyone would ask next?

I can’t see how asking about covid when someone just died in the height of a pandemic is so terribly bad, you make out I was asking for some nefarious purpose.
Well I wasn’t and was just asking because I just read the title and assumed it may have been covid related and it’s the first thing that popped in my head.

Not as big a deal as you make it like I committed some terrible crime asking a question amongst forum mates.
I lost my dad too and if anyone asked me I told them how he died it’s not a big deal because he really did die.
I feel for the whole family it’s gonna be real tough time for them all and they’ll need all the time necessary to grieve and support each other through it. My prayers go out to them.

Ridiculous overreaction WP.
Sometimes you blokes are too bloody sensitive.  :banghead  :help
The club that keeps giving.