Author Topic: State of Origin [merged]  (Read 17246 times)

gerkin greg

Re: All-star/State of Origin
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
will also be on 7 for all the gumbys  :cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2013, 01:49:55 PM »

True and no one will watch just like the NAB cup GF this year  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 02:10:12 PM »
Personally would get a lot more pleasure and would attend a Richmond mickey mouse NAB cup GF than some made up gobbildy gook trash that no one will play.

The only rep footy that would matter would be a VIC v SA at the G mid season, anything else doomed to failure IM humble O

gerkin greg

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »

ratings will be massive, betting there will be close to a sell out at Etihad as well

:clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »

ratings will be massive, betting there will be close to a sell out at Etihad as well

:clapping

:rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick cold on pre-season rep footy (Ninemsn)
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 05:28:33 PM »
Dimma as RFC coach is definitely no fan of representative footy ...

AFL coaches cold on pre-season rep footy
Guy Hand and Sam Lienert
Ninemsn
16:47 AEST Thu Aug 29 2013

Club coaches Damien Hardwick and Nathan Buckley say players need to be careful what they've wished for as an AFL All-Stars game looms a fortnight before the start of next season.

A revamped pre-season schedule was part of several changes to the 2014 fixture ticked off by the AFL Commission this week.

It has been flagged that the NAB Cup grand final could be axed, with a representative match in a yet-to-be-determined format slated to replace it two weeks before round one.

Players overwhelmingly supported the concept of representative football in a recent AFL Players' Association survey, with 86 per cent calling for its return.

But Richmond coach Hardwick doesn't support the concept in pre-season and doubts the star players likely to be picked would be either.

"We've got $10 million worth of players and we're going to put them out (in a pre-season) game," Hardwick said, starting his response to the question of the showpiece match with a deep sigh and an 'Oh, dear'.

"I'll give you a tip. The 86 per cent of the players who want to play - you know who they are? They're the ones who aren't going to play.

"You know who the 14 per cent are that didn't vote for it? They're the team that are going to play.

"At the end of the day, it's before round one of the season. We've got expensive players that are there to play for the Richmond Football Club. For me, that's the No.1 thing."

Collingwood coach Buckley, who could end up risking players of the quality of Scott Pendlebury and Dane Swan should the concept go ahead, wonders how much support players will give the idea ahead of a new home-and-away season.

"The players of the AFL at the moment are feeling that their voice is pretty strong and being heard and they've asked for this - the trick comes with how heavily they support it when it's three days away," Buckley said.

"I know personally State of Origin was always well supported by players, but when it came to the crunch they would quite often put their hand up and say not me, not this year."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8714660

gerkin greg

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »
Yeah I'd rather the boys play at Moe than risk themselves playing rep touch footy on an AFL ground

STFU Dimma

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Should State of Origin be brought back?
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
Push from stars to bring back State of Origin footy thwarted in favour of International Rules

Adam Baldwin
    Herald Sun
    April 24, 2014 8:30PM

THE AFL has blocked an attempt by the AFLPA to revive State of Origin football next year, despite overwhelming support from the competition’s biggest stars.

The AFLPA believed it presented a strong model and had unanimous support from the players, but the AFL executive instead committed to the revamped International Rules series.

Resistance by AFL clubs to a pre-season representative football concept and scheduling difficulties around the six-week 2015 ICC Cricket World Cup are the main roadblocks.

The AFLPA is left disappointed by the outcome, as it saw representative football as the ideal enter’ to the 2015 season, but remains committed to it’s proposal and is confident of its inclusion in the 2016 pre-season.

“It’s a decision of the current AFL executive, but that’s not to say this position won’t change the following year. We’ll continue to lobby for support from the AFL with a view to 2016,” acting AFLPA chief Prendergast said.

An AFL spokesman last night said the league are focused on the International Rules Series in November, but remain open to other concepts.

“We are open to discuss representative options for 2016 and no determination will be made on that until well into 2015.”

The AFLPA’s representative football proposal featured a traditional State of Origin carnival played over three years or a City vs. Country showcase game.

Under the proposal, Victoria and South Australia would play at Etihad Stadium or Adelaide Oval in the first year, Western Australia and The Allies at Patersons Stadium in the second year, with the winners to play off in a final in the third year.

Alternatively, the City vs. Country concept would be played every second or third year and while it doesn’t evoke the same emotion as State of Origin, players are enthused by the opportunity to reunite with junior teammates.

In a survey of 40 players likely to be selected, the AFLPA found 54 per cent prefer State of Origin, 38 per cent in favour of City v Country and the remainder supportive of either concept.

Sixty-eight per cent of players want representative football to be staged every year.

Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury is one of these players and while he acknowledges the issues at club level, he feels the concept is worth fighting for.

“I’ve been a big supporter of this. While I understand it’s not without its challenges, and that we need to work through these issues, I don’t think this should stop it from going ahead. I’m confident we’ll get there eventually and I’m it’ll be exciting for everyone involved once we do,” Pendlebury said.

In a bid to alleviate the burden on the clubs, the number of players from each would be capped at four, but players not released by their clubs may be ineligible for the following weekend’s games.

The proposal also includes plans to broadcast the team selection process and provide fans with the opportunity to select interchange players by voting online.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/push-from-stars-to-bring-back-state-of-origin-footy-thwarted-in-favour-of-international-rules/story-e6frf3e3-1226895355309?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »
International Rules is a stuffing joke & an utter waste of time.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »

Gigantor

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 09:32:32 PM »
I'd be more interested if Manchester United came out and played the RFC

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2014, 11:07:38 AM »
I'd be more interested if Manchester United came out and played the RFC
We'd lose even if it was aussie rules..... :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2014, 01:51:54 PM »
Louis van Gaal would out coach hardwick

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
Louis van Gaal would out coach hardwick
so would moyes. Too far?