Author Topic: who remembers...  (Read 2738 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: who remembers...
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2022, 11:19:08 PM »
Plenty of nuts at Victoria Park :yep.

I remember my first ever trip to Kardinia Park when I was a kid (early 80s) when Geelong was still like a country town. Cats fans like the extras from the movie Deliverance  :help.

Moorabbin swamp ... I mean Oval ... was always an experience too with their animal enclosure. St Kilda grannies by the fence in their members wanting to whack opposition players with their brollies if there was a fight by the boundary line: "Leave my boys alone!"

As for how clubs treated other clubs after the game, Carlton was the worst. Back in the 80s with the U19s, the home club post-game would put out party pies, sausage rolls, sandwiches and drinks for both sets of players and officials (and their kids  ;D ) in the social club. Carlton was the only club who wouldn't. They wouldn't allow any opposition into the Carlton social club unless you became a paid member for the privilege .... yeah right! Just another reason to despise them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: who remembers...
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2022, 12:13:03 AM »
The 80’s and especially the 90’s were great times. Footy at its purest.

Saturday afternoon footy.
U19 and reserves before the main game.
Running onto the ground at the final siren.
Esky’s were allowed so if you asked nicely they’d let you stand on them so you could see the game properly.
Local grounds ie. lakeside oval, Vic park, Junction oval, Arden st, princess park, vfl park, western oval, moorabbin, Kardinia park.
Developing ways to sneak into the members area at different grounds.
Sneaking into the club rooms after the game.
Duffle coats
20cent records
Radio commentary
Winners. World of sports.

Simpler days and great memories.

I think footy was at its purest by the 90’s when players started to get professional but coaches weren’t as smart as they are now. And when the rules were black and white and there wasn’t such a thing as prior opportunity to ruin umpire decision making for all time  :help
The club that keeps giving.