Author Topic: Richmond vs Port Adelaide @ the MCG --- Round 13, 2021  (Read 5121 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Port Adelaide @ the MCG --- Round 13, 2021
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2022, 06:53:43 AM »
Gibcus is an interesting one. With jack unlikely to play on next year it seems like one of gibcus or balta will move forward to take Jack’s spot. It’s almost like they’re both getting trialled now but both need a few pre seasons training forward me thinks. Then a couple years down the track they could both very well be required in the back line again with Tarrant and grimes towards the tail ends… recruiting will be key next few years.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
Bank the 4 points and move on

But like thet next week and we will get smashed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2022, 09:30:57 AM »
We are a middle of the road team. Our ladder position is fair. There is a faint glimmer of hope that, if the stars aline, we could do some damage in September. But everything would need to go our way. Injuries, playing at the G etc.

One stark difference from our flag years is that we are very leaky when the other team has momentum. We seem to give up 4-5 goal runs every week, whereas a couple of years ago teams were lucky to get 2-3 on the trot. I think the 6-6-6 rule and our relatively thin midfield play into this.

Offline RichmondMan

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »
Castagna must play every week.  I don't care if he gets a kick or not.  His closing speed is essential on our forward line. We looked slow without him!

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2022, 01:37:05 PM »
Castagna must play every week.  I don't care if he gets a kick or not.  His closing speed is essential on our forward line. We looked slow without him!

This will be interesting  :rollin :rollin

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2022, 01:45:53 PM »

And Im flying to tbe moon in 15 minutes from now :lol

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2022, 02:00:36 PM »
Tough conditions and not much of a spectacle.
Have to say we want to hope Prestia stays fit and playing well.
Thought Soldo laughable at times. Thought Gibcus size was shown up thats not a knock thats just him being a first year player.
Thought Tarrant was good cmon credit where its due.
Was livid with Short and his half arsed efforts and panic kicks

Who said we missed Castagna they have to be kidding.Got more out of a first gamer and some needed polish than what Castagna has given all year.
But your right as Hardwicks love child hes bound to be back next week.Sheesh

Still believe Miller should be the second big kpd with Tarrant. Gibcus is not there yet and it  Allows Grimes to shut down highly dangerous small medium types like Gray.

And last have to say while Dusty is going okay he is nowhere near his best and may not get back there.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2022, 02:12:33 PM »
Claw -
Wouldn’t you want Balta as the second KPD?
Or did you forget him?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2022, 09:56:56 PM »
Barrett's Sliding Doors column:

IF ...
it was an ugly slog against Port Adelaide on Thursday night ...

THEN ...
who cares? Five wins from the past six. Not one team will look forward to playing the Tigers in the finals. And they will definitely be there to play.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/776484/if-he-s-not-your-obvious-all-australian-player-then

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2022, 01:39:42 PM »
Claw -
Wouldn’t you want Balta as the second KPD?
Or did you forget him?

Nope have said all year with both Tarrant and Miller we have BIG kpd covered. Really need Balta getting as many games as possible as a forward. There are good reasons why we should be persevering with this.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2022, 10:25:59 PM »
My gut tells me putting Balta as a forward will end up like the Harry Taylor as a forward experiment. I don’t think he’s a good enough contested mark (seems to run under the flight of the ball a lot like mason cox) and he also doesn’t get his hands on the ball in the offensive half enough when deployed there.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2022, 11:46:29 AM »
My gut tells me putting Balta as a forward will end up like the Harry Taylor as a forward experiment. I don’t think he’s a good enough contested mark (seems to run under the flight of the ball a lot like mason cox) and he also doesn’t get his hands on the ball in the offensive half enough when deployed there.

Aliir is a decent defender and made Balta look like a debutant. Baltas true strength is probably he athleticism, not his skills or footy smarts. He will only kick goals when Lynch and Jack are there to take the best two defenders I reckon.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2022, 04:59:07 PM »
#AFLTigersPower Final xScores:

RICH 77 from expected 90.2
PORT 65 from expected 52.7

https://twitter.com/AFLxScore/status/1534883801301925894

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2022, 05:04:57 PM »
Report Card: Round 13

Ben Cotton, David Zita and Max Laughton
Foxsports
13 June 2022

RICHMOND

The Tigers of old are back! Led by a desperate Liam Baker, Richmond fought off Port Adelaide’s comeback to keep their finals dream alive in 2022. But it was the way the Tigers got the job done in the slippery conditions - with no Tom Lynch (injured) and just two goals coming from tall targets Jack Riewoldt and Noah Balta. Richmond showed they have scoring options across the ground, dominated in the air and “embraced the chaos” as Leigh Montagna calls it. The Tigers finished +23 in hitouts, +5 in contested marks in a win described by coach Damien Hardwick as “ugly”.

In the votes

Liam Baker threw himself into every contest, especially late in the match. He finished with 26 touches - a team high, five clearances, nine score involvements and a goal. Judson Clarke stepped up on debut to kick two first quarter goals and finished with 11 disposals and three tackles. Defensive quartet Nick Vlastuin, Robbie Tarrant, Nathan Broad and Dylan Grimes had a combined 35 intercepts between them to stifle Port’s push forward. Dustin Martin may have had just 13 disposals, but he continues to be a game changer - kicking two last quarter goals when the match went on the line.

Room for improvement

Shai Bolton could have easily kicked a handful of goals against the Power but had a wayward radar on Thursday night. The West Aussie finished with five behinds from his 19 disposals and three frees against - including a costly holding the ball that gifted Port Adelaide the lead just one minute into the final term. The slippery conditions weren’t ideal for big men, but Noah Balta struggled to get into the match. He finished with just 11 touches - and was chased down by Port’s Aliir Aliir when he opted against giving the hands to debutant Judson Clarke who could have potentially strolled into goal.

Grade

B+

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-round-13-report-card-highlights-grades-analysis-every-club-reviewed-video-best-and-worst-stats/news-story/1607b7a65b96edf1c19782cbaf389702

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2022, 05:12:05 PM »
RICHMOND V PORT ADELAIDE – THE GOOD, BAD, AND UGLY

HB Meyers
themongrelpunt.com
June 10, 2022

I’ve looked forward to Richmond v Port Adelaide games over the last couple of years, mainly based on the two belters they had in the 2020 season.

Let’s be honest – 2020, unless you’re a Tigers fan, doesn’t hold too much of value. Not just in terms of footy, but life, in general, was pretty crappy that season, so the two clashes between these teams – one in Round 11 that saw Port get up by 21-points, and a pulsating Preliminary Final, that saw Richmond win by a kick – were a rare highlight.

Suffice to say, this was a game I was anticipating all week, and in terms of intensity, it did not disappoint. Sure, it disappointed on other levels – there were skill errors aplenty – but the endeavour was there and the players were hard at it… with a couple of exceptions I’ll get to.

It wasn’t a classic Richmond game of footy, yet it felt like a classic Richmond win. It was close, it was contested, and the surge mentality of the Tigers on turnover remained, despite Port being able to turn the tables at periods during the game.

It was Dylan Grimes’ 200th game, and it was Judson Clarke’s first. The Tigers got up, and the yellow and black army sang the song loud and proud as Richmond bullied their way back into the top eight…

… and nobody will want to face them in week one of the finals in around three months.

Let’s jump into The Mongrel’s Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Continue to the full article here: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-season-2022/2022/06/10/richmond-v-port-adelaide-the-good-bad-and-ugly/