Author Topic: Sniper Stewart given 4 weeks [update]  (Read 11923 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Sniper Stewart given 4 weeks [update]
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2022, 07:28:02 PM »
So Prestia misses nearly a whole game and then can’t play next week, and Stewart gets 4.
I thought 4 was correct but it just doesn’t seem right.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2022, 07:46:41 PM »
4 is not stuffin correct. It’s a bloody joke.

Can someone please post up the bachar 4 week hit then perhaps someone can tell me how they both received the same result.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2022, 07:47:43 PM »
I thought 4 was about right, providing Stewart makes up the 2 that Prestia is already missing (Saturday's game & next week) & then adds the 4 onto it!  2+4=6!      >:(
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2022, 07:50:10 PM »
I personally don’t think Stewart is a gutless sniper
He’s a tough ball player normally
He’s being made out some cross between David Rhys-Jones and Hannibal Lector

This was a terrible act , but people make errors .. it’s not like he’s a repeat offender with a career of dogs acts

In saying that , I’d happily have us do the Yeats/Dermie 1989 as some sort of retaliation come finals time 😂😂😂

There’d be a sting in the Granny if we played them.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2022, 09:01:57 PM »
Once they went in and the AFL's rep asked for 4 weeks, he was never going to get more than 4

And of course the moment it was graded careless and not intentional, it was only ever going to be 4 weeks

It should have been at least 5

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2022, 09:32:02 PM »
Unfortunately, 4’s about right if you take his record into account

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2022, 09:37:08 PM »
So is it worth the same as Bachar???

Yes or no. Keen for everyone’s thoughts.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2022, 10:05:41 PM »
I reckon he wanted to hurt Prestia, just not hit his head/concuss him.

Knock the wind out of him sort of thing.

4 weeks is the minimum I'm OK with. 5 would feel better. 6 a stretch.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2022, 12:12:55 AM »
Can someone please post up the bachar 4 week hit then perhaps someone can tell me how they both received the same result.
Here's the vision: Houli swung his arm back and got Jed Lamb high knocking him out.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/99415/houli-reported-for-lamb-strike

It was graded as intentional and high impact to the head.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/40942/houli-to-face-tribunal

Houli was originally given 2 weeks by the tribunal but the AFL appealed describing the verdict as “manifestly inadequate” and he ended getting suspended for 4 weeks.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bachar-houli-back-at-the-tribunal-as-afl-appeals-twoweek-suspension/news-story/f5ab91597424daa0f5bca6929fa7b247

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2022, 12:23:55 AM »
Jack Riewoldt was 360 last night and asked what he saw.

Jack said he didn't know what happened. He was wondering why Stewart was being booed all night. No one remonstrated at the time because it was off the ball so no one saw it. Jack actually went up to Stewart after the game and patted him on the head. Jack knows him well and likes him from their time together in the same AFLX side.

------------------------------------------------------------

After the Tigers’ loss, Riewoldt could be seen exchanging words with Stewart, something he explained on AFL 360.

“I didn’t even know what had happened at that point, they booed him for the whole game but I didn’t cotton on to what had actually happened,” he said.

“No one remonstrated because it was past the ball and no one saw it. I just went up to him, I’d figured out something had happened with him, I said it is what it is.

“He’s not a bad guy, I’ve had beers with him and I really like him, unfortunately he made a blunder and he’ll serve the consequences.

“He puts his hand up, he’s made a blue and he does what a good person does, he owns it and moves on.”

Source: Foxsports

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2022, 12:24:30 AM »
Thought houli should have had 3. Dunno how they called that intentional when he was trying to run off the bloke holding his jumper and not even looking ffs.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2022, 02:50:09 PM »
‘Stop insulting everyone’: AFL urged to fix flaw that’s been ‘consistently wrong for eight years’

Ben Waterworth
Fox Sports
June 29th, 2022

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson says the AFL must stop “insulting” the footy world by grading certain bumps ‘careless’ as AFL 360 co-host Gerard Whateley urged the league to make an “essential” MRO guidelines change.

Robinson and Whateley’s comments come after the AFL tribunal handed Geelong star Tom Stewart a four-game ban for his ugly bump on Saturday that left Richmond star Dion Prestia concussed.

“As I said from the start, I accept the tribunal’s decision. I was left to their discretion,” Stewart told reporters post-hearing on Tuesday night.

“Obviously disappointed in my actions and I had to own that as a man.

“Still my immediate response was Dion’s wellness and that of his family that have had to experience this. So as disappointed and disheartened as I am right now, it’s still not about me. It’s about Dion’s wellbeing and how he is.

“Ultimately what I chose to do resulted in somebody getting knocked out – that’s not how I play the game, never has been. My actions resulted in a consequence that I didn’t want to happen.”

The MRO graded Stewart’s rough conduct charge as severe impact, high contact and, crucially, careless conduct, with the latter definition indicating the act was assessed as a bump, not a raised elbow.

Past acts from ex-Power player Lindsay Thomas (2018) and Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield (2021) that yielded similar gradings under the MRO matrix led to three-game bans.

As Whateley pointed out on AFL 360 on Tuesday night, Stewart’s ban lifts the penalty for any ‘careless’ act that results in concussion for an opponent from three weeks to four weeks.

Speaking on Fox Footy, Whateley said the tribunal’s decision “further enshrines the penalties for players who inflict concussion as we go along”.

Asked if the four-week ban would be a big enough penalty or deterrent for players to stop similar actions, Whateley told AFL 360: “I would answer that partly with the game did more this time than it did last time. So 18 months ago, it settled at three weeks (for Dangerfield’s bump) and now it has lifted that to four weeks.”

The veteran broadcaster said the “natural progression” was to grade bumps like Stewart’s as ‘intentional’, rather than ‘careless’.

“There should be the intentional bump,” Whateley said.

“It‘s never been ruled this way under this regime. It’s time to stop that and actually assess intentional bumps that can have no other outcome other than serious injury and put them in the international basket, which allows you to provide greater penalty as you go. It means you’re in the five to six category (for the Stewart bump) as a starting point.

“So is the game doing enough? I think that‘s the next progression between seasons is to change that, which has been rigid and consistent – but I think it’s been consistently wrong for eight years and it’s time to adjust that to move with the overall philosophy that they clearly are aiming for.”

Robinson said it was baffling how acts like Stewart’s can be graded as ‘careless’ when he intended to bump – he ran past the ball – and showed no duty of care in the moment, despite showing obvious remorse after making contact.

“The AFL and MRO – not the person, but the system – how about you stop insulting football by calling that ‘careless’. You‘re insulting everyone,” Robinson told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“That wasn‘t careless. He (Stewart) said he cared for Dion after the event – ‘I was really worried’, I’m sure you were – but in that moment, you did not care because you went past the ball and you didn’t show a duty of care.

“So don‘t give us ‘he was careless’ when he actually didn’t show any care in the moment. Let’s strike that word and stop insulting us.”

Whateley added: “It’s really easy to move that to intentional once you move past the ball in such a manner. It‘s long overdue and it’s essential in its application next year.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-tom-stewart-tribunal-ban-for-bump-afl-360-hosts-urge-league-to-change-mro-careless-grading-to-intentional/news-story/9c751e70283ae0851311c4738a9a70d7

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2022, 03:54:23 PM »
Footy’s gone to a crazy place: Balme

Mark Stevens
RSN
29 June 2022

Senior Richmond club advisor Neil Balme has questioned the four-game ban for Geelong’s Tom Stewart.

While some have argued the suspension was too short, Balme declared on RSN 927 that it was too harsh _ even if Stewart concussed Tiger Dion Prestia.

“Footy’s gone into a crazy place,” Balme said.

“I understand why the tribunal did what they did, but it does seem extremely harsh to me. I don’t think there was any real nastiness in it.”

Balme was asked about the Richmond player remaining disciplined and not over-reacting after the collision.

“If it had have been really nasty, that’s when you do. I don’t think it was nasty,” Balme said.

“I thought he was just trying to bump him and make it hard for him to play well … I’m probably a little more forgiving than others.”

On the send-off rule discussion, Balme said: “The less power officials have got, the better off we are. That’s only my opinion”.

“They influence the game too much, we want the game to be influenced by how the players play, not how the umpires umpire.”

Balme indicated Prestia could only miss one game.

“He’s fine. I don’t think there’s too many long term issues with him,” Balme said.

https://www.rsn.net.au/afl/29/06/2022/footys-gone-to-a-crazy-place-balme/

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2022, 03:58:00 PM »
Good onya Balmey
With the hysteria you would think he’d shot him

4 is PLENTY

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2022, 04:10:53 PM »
Yes Balmey  :shh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig85NkmAnVQ

In Balmey's day, Stewart would've left the field via a stretcher. One of the reasons Balmey went nuts in the 1973 GF was as retaliation for what Vinny Waite and co. had done targeting our smaller blokes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 04:30:16 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd