Author Topic: Rebuild Post Dynasty  (Read 3278 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Rebuild Post Dynasty
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2022, 09:03:54 PM »
Our midfield is worst in comp.

LDU and Simpkin would be out best mids. Enough said.
Go Tigers!

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2022, 09:42:12 PM »

LDU is a gun though seriously.

Otherwise yes our mids stink.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2022, 09:44:24 PM »

LDU is a gun though seriously.

Otherwise yes our mids stink.

Agree re LDU

I'd be trying to pry him out of N0rt
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2022, 10:34:55 PM »
Dimma should seriously consider his legacy. He can walk aeay now with a decent payout and be a Richmond immortal or he can risk it by staying on and missing finals year after year and ruin his legacy. His time has arrived.

I’m frustrated with the coaching to but to think Dimma will leave the club as anything but an immortal is just emotion talk after a couple of crap weeks. 3 time premiership coach, broke a 37 year drought, most games coached for Richmond (I think). We could completely tank and finish with the spoon next year and that wouldn’t change.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2022, 10:35:37 PM »
Dimma should seriously consider his legacy. He can walk aeay now with a decent payout and be a Richmond immortal or he can risk it by staying on and missing finals year after year and ruin his legacy. His time has arrived.

I’m frustrated with the coaching to but to think Dimma will leave the club as anything but an immortal is just emotion talk after a couple of crap weeks. 3 time premiership coach, broke a 37 year drought, most games coached for Richmond (I think). We could completely tank and finish with the spoon next year and that wouldn’t change.

True.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2022, 03:52:38 PM »
Tigers’ twin focus

While Richmond is striving to play finals this season, the Tigers also have their sights set on next year and beyond, as coach Damien Hardwick explained in his weekly press conference yesterday.

“We’re doing two things at once. We’re trying to contend, and we’re also trying to regenerate or rejuvenate at the same time,” Hardwick said.

“We had four first-year players in the side (v North Melbourne) on the weekend . . . we have done that over the course of the year.

“That itself is a challenge. But the fact of the matter is I think we’re going to have a longer period of window (of opportunity), so to speak, than we do if we go the other way.

“The challenge for us as a club is to remain competitive like the very best sides have over a long period of time . . . 

“We’re giving ourselves our best chance of success, not only this year, but years moving forward as well.”

Richmond has had five AFL debutants this season – Josh Gibcus, Bigoa Nyuon, Judson Clarke, Noah Cumberland and Tyler Sonsie. Last year, seven players debuted at senior level with the Tigers – Riley Collier-Dawkins, Rhyan Mansell, Will Martyn, Ben Miller, Hugo Ralphsmith, Maurice Rioli Jr and Samson Ryan.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1176914/tigers-twin-focus

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 05:41:58 PM »
Banks and Brown should debut. RCD should come in as well so we can finally see if he can save his career.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2022, 06:54:40 PM »
RCD should come in as well so we can finally see if he can save his career.

Can't save a career when you haven't been given the opportunity others have to establish one

#justsayin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2022, 10:55:19 PM »
Reckon im in the proper rebuild camp. Rather than trade away good picks id look to get some and go to the draft for two or three years..If we got say a first rounder and maybe a second for Dusty and im being honest here i dont think that will happen due to Dusty's age then all good.
Would be happy to get some quality older types thru F/a or cheap trades.
If im going to give up top picks for players then im targeting young players like 19 yo Callaghan or tom Green rather than a 26 27 28 yr old who will be past it by the time we rebuild and get enough games into the kids we take.

People need to get out of fantasy land they talk as if we can stay up and win a flag its yet to happen and if honest we just dont have the quality coming thru to take over from all the retirements that WILL happen the next two or three seasons.Imo its  Crazy people think  an actual rebuild will take just 3 or so years. There is just two ways to go, embrace a full on rebuild and if we get it right 4 or 5 seasons without finals. or we can do a Geelong and wait 10 years for the cards to fall our way if we are lucky.

Reckon we have ALL got greedy and have forgot just how we got there.

Its really simple Draft well then develop well get a large core to 80 100 games which will take 5 or so seasons then add the missing pieces and hopefully you get another dynasty.

In three years time it is likely all of the following will be gone Martin, Grimes, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Lambert, Prestia, Lynch, Edwards, Pickett, Tarrant, and possibly Broad and of course Caddy.

Then you have fringe and ordinary players who really should be gone like Aarts, Castagna Parker, Soldo, McIntosh and yess im throwing Short in here as well.
Then theres a whole pile of younger blokes who really do have big questions about weather they will even make it. Dow, Ross, RC-D, Ryan, Rioli, Nyuon, Martyn, Miller, Colina and im sure ive missed a few.Some could come on in leaps and bounds but right at the moment its not dumb to question if they will make it long term.

I believe there is really only one path to take and that is to accept and embrace a full on rebuild starting yesterday.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2022, 12:31:03 AM »
I'm with you Claw, I think we re-build & do it properly even if it takes 3-5 years it will be worth it. 
The list of young blokes you mentioned & wondered if they will make it - well, the next 3-5 years will tell us!  I hate cutting young blokes unless they are total busts ( for reasons us supporters may never hear about), if there are no obvious red flags then I'd rather ride the bumps while they develop than to cut them & watch them bloom at another club.  I think there is some talent in that list & I'm prepared to invest a few years in them. 
Then keep the kids coming from the draft ...   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2022, 07:20:09 AM »

Can't save a career when you haven't been given the opportunity others have to establish one

#justsayin

Yep. I agree. Wasnt a Dimma favorite.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2022, 08:56:22 AM »

#justsayin

Maybe Dimma is jealous that RCDs parents are solidly still together? 
Yep. I agree. Wasnt a Dimma favorite.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2022, 06:18:07 PM »
I think also a key is contract and salary cap management.

We need to time out development and salary cap peak at the right time. At the moment out top 2 earners are out injured, one is ageing and apparently wants a change of scenery. Mix that with some older guys hanging on a bit too long like Edwards and Lambert (injury main, how many games has he played) and guys who have been looked after too much being carried by a dynasty (Castagna).

Those things need to be fixed and aligned with age and development and our window will peak again.

Challenging a midfield of Viney, Oliver, Petrecca and co we are just not there currently.
Go Tigers!

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 08:23:04 PM »
Look at the pies under McRae his rejuvenate with kids , quality assistant's and a few not bad recruits they aren't nothing special there hungry and playing as team so it's not impossible to get back into finals contention if we make a few hard decisions and revamp football department we have quality kids and good picks again need to make few hard decisions on player retirement and up for trade.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2022, 08:49:30 PM »
Look at the pies under McRae his rejuvenate with kids , quality assistant's and a few not bad recruits they aren't nothing special there hungry and playing as team so it's not impossible to get back into finals contention if we make a few hard decisions and revamp football department we have quality kids and good picks again need to make few hard decisions on player retirement and up for trade.

100%. Kids are the way to go.

Time for us to cut some dead weight