Author Topic: Rule change: AFL cracks down on shrugging, ducking (afl site)  (Read 1797 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
UMPIRES have been instructed not to pay free kicks to players who they believe are responsible for drawing high contact from tacklers.

Where the tackle is applied, and there is prior opportunity, and the ball carrier creates the high contact through any of the above means, they will be penalised with holding the ball.

As always, the ball carrier must be protected against indiscriminate tackles that make high contact.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/802909/-they-won-t-be-rewarded-afl-cracks-down-on-shrugging-ducking

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Rule change: AFL cracks down on shrugging, ducking (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »
Better late than never.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 08:34:54 PM »
So they basically wait for the entire stuffing career of J Selwood to go by before introducing this rule after about 10 games of Ginnivan.

I agree '65 better late than never but stuff me it sure is late.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 08:34:07 AM »
So they basically wait for the entire stuffing career of J Selwood to go by before introducing this rule after about 10 games of Ginnivan.

The problem for Ginnivan is he created the angst he faces all by himself. He went on media street and boasted about trying to milk the frees, admitting he dropped to his knees, lifted his arms (like Selwood always has). He created the focus with his own stupid comments  :wallywink

And and then Fly Macrae comes out and says we coach it adding the proverbial cherry on top.

Yes Selwood has been doing it his entire career but I cannot recall him ever coming out and talking about it let alone boasting about it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 09:14:18 PM »

The problem for Ginnivan is he created the angst he faces all by himself. He went on media street and boasted about trying to milk the frees, admitting he dropped to his knees, lifted his arms (like Selwood always has). He created the focus with his own stupid comments  :wallywink

And and then Fly Macrae comes out and says we coach it adding the proverbial cherry on top.

Yes Selwood has been doing it his entire career but I cannot recall him ever coming out and talking about it let alone boasting about it

Blind Freddy can see they do I on purpose and coach it into them. Just look at the dogs haha.

I'm grateful to Ginnivan for helping force the change.