Author Topic: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, Sun. Aug. 28  (Read 15044 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, Sun. Aug. 28
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »
The lack of scoring will kill aflw. Its a big problem. Good day no rain. Flat track and only 1 goal in a half of footy.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2022, 05:04:44 PM »
I haven't paid much attention to AFLW, but I'm watching tonight. Has there at any time been a discussion about the W comp playing on smaller grounds, at least until they build up their skills and fitness? It would have to be more high scoring if they did.

Interesting comment

Last night's game at Marvel was one of the best games skills wise etc I've seen and I've watched alot of AFLW

Why? Because of the conditions. Roof closed, fast deck and the game reaped the rewards.
I’ve said this before but I’m a big advocate of the smaller grounds for the women. I’m certain it would increase scoring and make it easier for the girls.

For me it’s a no brainer but how it would be implemented on the AFL grounds would be something that would need to be worked out.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2022, 05:04:56 PM »
Does sheahan still have her job at Richmond?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2022, 05:06:27 PM »
Does sheahan still have her job at Richmond?

Yep
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2022, 05:07:07 PM »
We didn't miss so many easy targets in the practice matches. Real season game pressure getting to us.  Too many blind kicks by our mids into the forward line where Geelong have a spare. When we do make a contest, our small forwards are flying with our talls for the same ball. Then we actually have a setshot we are too tense and missing sitters   :banghead.

We need to come back out with our proper game focus and team connection in the second half.

Broadsword

« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2022, 05:08:56 PM »
The lack of scoring will kill aflw. Its a big problem. Good day no rain. Flat track and only 1 goal in a half of footy.
You can see them trying to hoof it beyond their capabilities because of the size of the ground. I reckon the skills would get better if they weren't trying to kick the leather off it all the time. I remember seeing Brad Miller not make the distance for us from 35-40m out one year. When they're looking for lead-up options from 25-30m out directly in front I think that's a clue that there should be a 35(ish)m line for the W comp as it stands. (And the rest of the dimensions would contract accordingly.)

Don't get me wrong, they need support to improve the competition--just talking poo doesn't help anything. But I don't see why they can't come up with some creative solutions to the scoring problem.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2022, 05:09:29 PM »
Nice soft easy goal for Geelong

Great start to the 3rd :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2022, 05:09:32 PM »
Ballwatching gifts the Cats a goal :facepalm

10 - 8

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2022, 05:09:52 PM »
You can see them trying to hoof it beyond their capabilities because of the size of the ground. I reckon the skills would get better if they weren't trying to kick the leather off it all the time. I remember seeing Brad Miller not make the distance for us from 35-40m out one year. When they're looking for lead-up options from 25-30m out directly in front I think that's a clue that there should be a 35(ish)m line for the W comp as it stands. (And the rest of the dimensions would contract accordingly.)

Don't get me wrong, they need support to improve the competition--just talking poo doesn't help anything. But I don't see why they can't come up with some creative solutions to the scoring problem.
100% agree  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Broadsword

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2022, 05:11:49 PM »
I also think the W comp would benefit from more Hafey era coaching than overly-scientific and highly strategized modern footy. Get some tall bookends and kick it long through the middle. Simple footy.

Pardon the pun, but man on man footy rather than zonal marking would also be better I reckon.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2022, 05:11:57 PM »
Soft at the contest, pitiful tackling and panicky disposals  :help.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2022, 05:14:49 PM »
I also think the W comp would benefit from more Hafey era coaching than overly-scientific and highly strategized modern footy. Get some tall bookends and kick it long through the middle. Simple footy.

Pardon the pun, but man on man footy rather than zonal marking would also be better I reckon.

Yep

Broadsword

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2022, 05:18:04 PM »
Beautiful intercept mark and then needlessly played on. Go back behind the mark, let your teammates get forward, and take the field kick. It would actually be more enjoyable to watch that style than the handball-happy Bulldogs-ball the men's game has become.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2022, 05:19:07 PM »
Two teammates alongside and you kick to a contest with a small forward :facepalm

Umps giving Geelong a free ride btw  ::).

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2022, 05:20:21 PM »
What did steph williams cost in picks?