Author Topic: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, Sun. Aug. 28  (Read 15016 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: AFLW R1: Richmond vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, Sun. Aug. 28
« Reply #150 on: August 28, 2022, 10:47:33 PM »
but I saw some real positive signs.

That’s glass half full if I’ve ever heard it  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #151 on: August 29, 2022, 01:38:51 AM »
If richmond fc was serious theyd sack sheahan and ferguson and let us here on oer run the womens program. We'd do a better job 100%.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #152 on: August 29, 2022, 06:00:30 AM »
A late free kick to the Cats saw a highly-touted youngster slot the matchwinning goal in a nail-biting finish. But should it have been paid? Have your say.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/aflw-2022-all-the-latest-news-analysis-fallout-from-round-1/news-story/52f3ddfb607f4aa820d23b9fc18ebadb

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2022, 07:01:06 AM »

One of the worst games I’ve ever seen

Congrats tiger girls on going backwards a million miles, such poor execution of disposal like a U8 match

Worst competition in the country by a mile.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2022, 10:03:36 AM »
The thing is most on here would have only watched our game yesterday. So I totally understand why people are saying how crap the entire comp is. The game yesterday was an embarrassing spectacle for AFLW

But...

I watched 4 games and part of 2 others over the weekend. There were some great games and there were (ours being the beacon) some shockers. The one at Marvel between 2 newbie sides was brilliant. It was fast, good skills and great game styles. Part of that was because of the quality of the venue.

Believe it or not the comp has c9me along way from season 1 but still has a long way to go.

Our effort yesterday did nothing to help the competition but more than that It did nothing to help
Tiger fans get on board our women's side's ride. I usually try and defend the comp and our team but even i cant defend thst. And that disappoints me the most

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2022, 11:04:05 AM »

Congrats tiger girls on going backwards a million miles, such poor execution of disposal like a U8 match

Yep I'd be disappointed in the Tiges kicking 3 goals in a quarter most weeks, let alone 3 in a whole game for both sides.

Dunno what the solution is but the product simply isn't viable as a business model and continuing to expand the teams so quickly will only prevent the quality from improving. I don't think there's enough talent for 18 men's teams let alone the women's.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: August 29, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »

Yep I'd be disappointed in the Tiges kicking 3 goals in a quarter most weeks, let alone 3 in a whole game for both sides.

Dunno what the solution is but the product simply isn't viable as a business model and continuing to expand the teams so quickly will only prevent the quality from improving. I don't think there's enough talent for 18 men's teams let alone the women's.

I reckon they need to divisionalise it, practicallty half the AFLW into Div 1 and Div 2, there is a huge gap between the founding clubs and the rest

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #157 on: August 29, 2022, 11:35:18 AM »
Without mentioning names there are 4-5 players for us that are simply terrible and not at the standard.
I firmly believe the coaching is impacting performance as they play like them men try to play with handball chains and chipping the ball around.  Most goals I see from the women's game is from come from opposition mistakes and turnovers, 
I would be just kicking the ball forward long at all times and limit handballing.
Get all players on the same page so they know where it's going and back them in to win contests.
Simplify. 

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #158 on: August 29, 2022, 12:08:23 PM »
It’s a disappointing result but I saw some real positive signs. Hopefully some of the other girls can contribute more often.

I've really struggled to find any positives outside of Sheerin and perhaps Williams who is ferocious with her attack on the footy (like Hosking) but struggled with skill execution

I’d like to have seen more from Dempsey, D’Arcy and Lavey.

Agree, not sure why Lavey spent so much time on the bench. Also, I am convinced D'Arcy is not a forward; looks all at sea

Wakefield was disappointing and no one else was offering an option up forward. Our smalls completely unsighted except for Williams who at least looked like she was trying to get involved by tackling and harassing. New girl Cox I didn’t notice at all.

Felt for Wakefield. The game plan (and I'm assuming it was the plan) of having her up the ground and no one forward of the ball when we got the turn over and trying to transition was mindboggling.

Then when she was forward of the ball she had 2 on her because we kept having a +1 at stoppages or in defence. She had no hope, all the defender had to do was punch the ball and there was someone on their own to defend because we had no one.

I’m not sure why we continue to persist with Molan I’m not sure what they see in her to be honest.
Poor decision maker, slow and fumbly and cannot execute correctly by hand or foot.
I’d rather see Jacques play ahead of her.

I have nothing to add here; I made my feelings known yesterday.

I know she’s very young but Stella Reid (pick 5) is starting to make Molan look ok. Not a great sign. Poppy Kelly isn’t much chop, besides her height I’m not sure what they saw in her to be honest.

I gave Reid the benefit of the doubt last season with it being her first year. Yesterday I was expecting to see more game awareness, more intent at contests but it just wasn't there and it is a worry. to be fair we need to give her more time but I will confess my patience is wearing.

It is funny with Poppy Kelly I thought when they put her at CHF in the last she was actually quiet good. Gave us a traget, took a couple of marks and at least for her when she bought it ground she had some smalls around to try and get the ball or at least make a contest

Play the girls that want the ball and maybe get them fitter so they’ll work for each other when they haven’t got the ball.

Fair point. Still too much getting left to too few IMHO

Good signs from Seymour, Conti, Miller, Hosking, Egan looks pretty good and Sheerin was BOG.

Not all bad news and I’d expect huge improvements next game from McKenzie, Lavey, Dempsey, D’arcy, and Wakefield.

Agree regarding Sheerin, I thought she was brilliant. Egan improved as the game went on. She certainly has good game awareness, her problem was those around her when she passing it on didn't.

I believe the Coaches have been let of the hook a fair bit with regard to yesterday's result. They had a shocker! There was no plan B.

But having said that I not exactly sure what plan A was if I am being honest. Flooding the defensive half doesn't work in the AFLW; so I am not sure why we did it and more to the point persisted with it. No point in generating turnovers and trying to move the ball forward if you have no one forward of the ball. Last time I checked if you do that you just hand the ball back to the opposition

Finally, I think Bethany Lynch is massive strife for that tackle. It didn't look good live and looks even worse from the replays I've seen of it in slow-mo. Reckon it will be at least 2-3 weeks

Fingers crossed Katie B is back next week; we need her not just for goals but leadership
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: August 29, 2022, 12:24:08 PM »
I didn’t manage to catch the game and admittedly don’t follow the woman’s league closely however I disagree with adding/changing any rules in an attempt to increase scoring. In fact I say give them the exact same rules as the men (22 players, etc.). The league will take time (I’d say a decade) but it will slowly but surely get there. Atm players coming in have not been training and committing their whole lives to a career in football because not long ago it wasn’t even an option. Hence you are getting woman in that have only had a few years exposure to the game. With the league now established, you’ll soon see girls that have been playing the game for 10+ years of experience in the junior leagues be drafted and naturally the skill level will become a lot better.

If you look back to the early years of the VFL you’ll see similar low scoring matches and I would assume a significantly lesser skill level than what we see today.

Many may disagree but I just hate this ideology that we’ve recently seen in the mens game of changing or bring in new rules to a game that has been around for 100 years to increase scoring. Don’t get me started on the stupid stand, 6-6-6, etc. rules that they’ve brought in to make the game more ‘enjoyable’ to the fans……

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #160 on: August 29, 2022, 01:19:06 PM »
Lmao

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: August 29, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
The best part of watching yesterday was me predicting next goal wins halfway through the third  ;D

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL signs off on match-winning free, but was it Prespakis’ kick? (afl site)
« Reply #162 on: August 29, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »
AFL signs off on match-winning free, but was it Prespakis’ kick?

Sarah Black
womens.afl
29 August 2022

THE AFL has confirmed Geelong's Georgie Prespakis should not have taken a last-minute downfield free kick which resulted in the winning goal against Richmond.

The AFL ticked off the free kick itself, given away by Monique Conti for a dangerous tackle, and the downfield element of the free.

However, Prespakis herself should not have taken the penalty, which she duly converted in the final minute of the game to pinch the win for Geelong in a low-scoring slog.

Behind-the-goals vision obtained by womens.afl indicates that power forward Chloe Scheer was the closest player to where the ball ended up when the free kick was paid.

The AFL provided the following statement:

"The decision to pay a free kick for a dangerous tackle and for it to be awarded downfield was correct, with umpire coaches ticking it off due to excessive rotation.

"An error was made in awarding the free kick to Georgie Prespakis. It should have gone to the nearest player where the ball landed."

https://www.womens.afl/news/101143?_ga=2.243764741.1284796830.1654439057-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
However, Prespakis herself should not have taken the penalty, which she duly converted

Lol
I understand there was only three goals kicked , which is soccer levels , but ffs Sarah, at least pretend it was a game of Australian footy

It’s called a stuffing free kick