Author Topic: Tigers' attack to play key role in finals hopes (afl site)  (Read 456 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers' attack to play key role in finals hopes (afl site)
« on: August 30, 2022, 01:05:56 PM »
Tigers' attack to play key role in finals hopes

Perhaps more than any other side, Richmond's fearsome attack is key to its finals hopes.

By Anna Harrington
AAP
30 August 2022

RICHMOND is the seventh-ranked team in the finals chasing pack but there is arguably no hunter with a more fearsome bite.

The Tigers' forward line, spearheaded by Tom Lynch, showed it was the most potent and multi-pronged in the League in a dramatic late-season surge into the eight.

Now that attack appears certain to determine whether the 2017, 2019 and 2020 premiers overcome their cut-throat elimination final against Brisbane on Thursday night – and if they kick on even further beyond that.

The first cab off the rank is powerful key forward Lynch, who finished second in the Coleman Medal but whose aerial ability and presence is matched by few in the competition.

Lynch has booted 60 goals in 18 games, including 21 in the past month, and has overcome groin soreness to prove his fitness for the Gabba.

"It's just amazing seeing him fly at the footy," teammate Jayden Short said.

"He obviously knows his strengths.

"I love being able to kick the footy to him because he's a massive presence. He's been unreal."

But if Lynch doesn't get you, there's plenty of other Tigers who will.

Shai Bolton has evolved into one of the League's most dangerous forwards, booting 41 goals and earning his first Therabody AFL All-Australian berth, while the typically reliable Jack Riewoldt has kicked 37.

Add in Noah Cumberland's breakout season, Maurice Rioli jnr's intense pressure and cameos from Tyler Sonsie and Shane Edwards and there's no shortage of attacking weapons.

Then there's the trump card: Dustin Martin's impending return.

All in all, it's the type of forward line that's excited defender Nick Vlastuin as much as any as he's seen in 10 seasons at Punt Road.

"Lynchy's in terrific form, so just him by himself up there would be a pretty hard task," Vlastuin told reporters.

"Then 'Cumbo' always sneaks up at the goals, Jack's playing good footy, Shai's probably going to win our best and fairest, so it's a pretty handy forward line.

"Dusty, we've played a lot of footy with him so we know what he's good at – which is pretty much everything.

"So we'll just get the ball in there and let our forwards do the rest and lock it in."

It's a fair strategy, given Richmond's 2165 points for was the highest of all teams across the home-and-away season, while the Tigers have booted 100 points or more in their past four games.

The dashing Short, whose raking kicks off half-back and through the midfield play an underrated role in the Tigers' frenetic attack, puts it pretty simply.

"There's a few blokes who can kick some goals," Short said.

"I'm lucky I'm not down there, to be honest, because I wouldn't get a kick.

"But it's strong. Those boys are just playing great footy.

"We're lucky to have all them in our team and the way they go about it's just amazing. I'm rapt that they're our forwards."

Richmond's frenetic forward pressure and tackling was the hallmark of its three premierships.

If the Tigers are to find a way to their fourth premiership in six years, they will have to navigate their most difficult run yet.

But, unbeaten in five games and with an attacking arsenal that's the envy of the competition, they're as capable as any team of striking some body blows in September.

"We've given ourselves the opportunity," Vlastuin said.

"Two, three weeks ago, we were probably worried we weren't going to make it, so it's nice to get that opportunity

"Like the other seven teams, we have a shot at winning the flag. Who knows where it goes from here?"

https://www.afl.com.au/news/832539/-i-wouldn-t-get-a-kick-why-tiger-champ-s-glad-he-s-not-a-forward