Author Topic: Why Kane Cornes is "not buying" the Richmond hype just yet (SEN)  (Read 1472 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
WHY KANE CORNES IS “NOT BUYING” THE RICHMOND HYPE JUST YET

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
10 October 2022

Kane Cornes is not quite as bullish as some on Richmond’s 2023 prospects.

Speaking on AFL Trade Radio on Friday, both Stephen Silvagni and Matt Rendell agreed that the Tigers would be a top four team next season, thanks to the acquisitions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

However, Cornes believes many questions marks remain over Richmond next year.

“They think Richmond are primed. Why are Richmond primed? Hopper and Taranto come in, but I think they’ve got some issues,” he told AFL Trade Radio.

“They’re clearly all-in on this group and they went on about the midfield … we can’t expect Dion Prestia to play more than half a season, he continually gets injured.

“Dylan Grimes has had issues with his hamstrings and is going to be nearly 32 by the start of next year.

“Taranto and Hopper are great additions, but they’re injury prone as well particularly Taranto.

“Everyone is saying they’re going to get Dustin Martin back – well are you? Are they going to get Dusty back? What sort of version of Martin are we going to get back? Is he fully invested?

“I don’t think that just because they’re getting Hopper and Taranto that Richmond are automatically a lock for top four, but I understand I’m largely on my own with that opinion.

“What do you do with Trent Cotchin? Jack Riewoldt is going to be 34, Tom Lynch has had his injury concerns, Toby Nankervis is a solid citizen as a ruckman. I’m just not buying into all the Richmond hype.”

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd agrees, wondering where Richmond’s internal improvement comes from.

“I want to go through the best and fairest results at Geelong. Everyone gets sucked into the age, but what about the improvement?” Lloyd said.

“Who’s Richmond’s Sam De Koning who finished eighth in their best and fairest and took the game by storm? Who’s the Brad Close going to be? He transformed himself into one of the most consistent half forwards and finished seventh.

“Who’s the Tom Atkins? He finished fifth. They might say it’s Tim Taranto or Hopper. Who’s the Tyson Stengle who came fourth and kicked 53 goals as a forward?”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/10/why-kane-cornes-is-not-buying-the-richmond-hype-just-yet/

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Why Kane Cornes is "not buying" the Richmond hype just yet (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 11:40:38 AM »
This guy, he really does hate us doesn't he?

“Who’s Richmond’s Sam De Koning who finished eighth in their best and fairest and took the game by storm?  Balta or Gibcus

Who’s the Brad Close going to be? He transformed himself into one of the most consistent half forwards and finished seventh.  Noah Cumberland or M Rioli anybody

“Who’s the Tom Atkins? He finished fifth. They might say it’s Tim Taranto or Hopper. They's be right, Tom Atkins not even in the same class as these 2. 

Who’s the Tyson Stengle who came fourth and kicked 53 goals as a forward?” Fair enough, he had a great year but Cumberland could be that player. 

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 01:48:09 PM »
Ignore it. We can waste our energies elsewhere
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 02:55:47 PM »
“Taranto and Hopper are great additions, but they’re injury prone as well particularly Taranto.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/10/why-kane-cornes-is-not-buying-the-richmond-hype-just-yet/
Taranto played in 40 out of a last possible 46 games with the Giants. He missed four games with a back and two with concussion. That's hardly injury prone :facepalm.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Tim_Taranto.html#20220
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 03:01:47 PM »
WHY KANE CORNES IS “NOT BUYING” THE RICHMOND HYPE JUST YET

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
10 October 2022

Kane Cornes is not quite as bullish as some on Richmond’s 2023 prospects.

Speaking on AFL Trade Radio on Friday, both Stephen Silvagni and Matt Rendell agreed that the Tigers would be a top four team next season, thanks to the acquisitions of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

However, Cornes believes many questions marks remain over Richmond next year.

“They think Richmond are primed. Why are Richmond primed? Hopper and Taranto come in, but I think they’ve got some issues,” he told AFL Trade Radio.

“They’re clearly all-in on this group and they went on about the midfield … we can’t expect Dion Prestia to play more than half a season, he continually gets injured.

“Dylan Grimes has had issues with his hamstrings and is going to be nearly 32 by the start of next year.

“Everyone is saying they’re going to get Dustin Martin back – well are you? Are they going to get Dusty back? What sort of version of Martin are we going to get back? Is he fully invested?

“I don’t think that just because they’re getting Hopper and Taranto that Richmond are automatically a lock for top four, but I understand I’m largely on my own with that opinion.

“What do you do with Trent Cotchin? Jack Riewoldt is going to be 34, Tom Lynch has had his injury concerns, Toby Nankervis is a solid citizen as a ruckman. I’m just not buying into all the Richmond hype.”

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd agrees, wondering where Richmond’s internal improvement comes from.

“I want to go through the best and fairest results at Geelong. Everyone gets sucked into the age, but what about the improvement?” Lloyd said.

“Who’s Richmond’s Sam De Koning who finished eighth in their best and fairest and took the game by storm? Who’s the Brad Close going to be? He transformed himself into one of the most consistent half forwards and finished seventh.

“Who’s the Tom Atkins? He finished fifth. They might say it’s Tim Taranto or Hopper. Who’s the Tyson Stengle who came fourth and kicked 53 goals as a forward?”

Who was Cheatlong's Kane Lambert?

Who was Cheatlong's Alex Rance?

Who was Cheatlong's Dustin Martin?

Who was Cheatlong's Toby Nankervis?

This muppet is anti-Richmond, why do we bother to post his nonsense?

Sorry ...

I didn't realise Cheatlong have won 3 Premierships in 6 years?

Richmond must be getting under-the-table help from the AFL since 2006.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 05:03:02 PM »
We must have sent our GM to make rule changes to help the club to help our club too, ignore the bloke, doesn’t get much right

Broadsword

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 05:20:36 PM »
He's a twit. I would support no longer posting his opinion on here. He is either anti-Richmond on principle or pot-stirring on principle. Either way, he's a twit.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 06:51:26 PM »
Let's see if he criticises his own club for signing JHF on a six year contract ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2022, 09:01:17 PM »
We originally identified Stengle and drafted him. We had so many small forwards, we had to lose a couple.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 10:13:38 PM »
He plays everyone off a break, including some of you lot.

He knows we have the most proud and loyal members and so he plays on it to drum up his own support on socials.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline MaccaDacca

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 10:14:00 AM »
Cornes' attempts to stay relevant and employed are so transparent I dont even read his crap anymore.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 12:52:15 PM »
Let's see if he criticises his own club for signing JHF on a six year contract ::).

Cornes however backs the six-year deal, saying the midfielder will only be 25 when the contract is up.

“I can see why Port Adelaide has done this and you might say that’s the Port Adelaide bias – one of those six years is a standard second-year player contract. $120,000 plus match payments. Well under the AFL average.

“It’s essentially a five-year deal. The guy is 19. At the end of this deal, he is going to be 25. It’s not like Jacob Hopper who is 27 and going to be Trent Cotchin’s age by the time he’s finished at Richmond.

“In terms of the money, I don’t know, I imagine it would be a significant contract in the range of $600,000 and $700,000 with some incentives and benchmarks.

“I don’t love it on the surface, but I’m not dead against it considering the guy is going to be 25.

“What number one draft pick in the history of the game has been out of the system at 24. I don’t reckon any. I don’t think it’s a big risk.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/10/kane-cornes-weighs-in-on-horne-francis-six-year-port-adelaide-contract/

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 01:07:18 PM »
I like how he added an extra year to hoppers age to strengthen his argument. He knows damn well hopper isn’t 27.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2022, 04:57:22 PM »
It’s cause he got belted in his milestone game. Still salty. Let’s not forget the 2020 prelim either