Author Topic: U18 Championships  (Read 7973 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »
Scorpions shake off Thunder
3:08:19 PM Sat 24 June, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

NORTHERN TERRITORY: 2.5   4.6    8.7   10.10 (70)
QUEENSLAND:                3.2   9.4  11.6    15.8 (98)

GOALS - Northern Territory: Calma-Holt 3, Rolfe 2, Djerrkura, Fittock, C.Rioli, S.Rioli, Sharples
Queensland: Smith 3, White 3, Armitage 2, Tippett 2, Dzufer, Lawler, Marchant, Proud, Renouf

BEST - Northern Territory: Anderson, Calma-Holt, Djerrkura, Oliver, Stokes, C.Rioli,
Queensland: Petterd, Urquhart, Tippett, Dzufer, Proud, Smith

UMPIRES - Craig, McCarthy, Pattinson
MC Labour Park, Carlton

Highly-fancied second division team Queensland has opened the 2006 NAB AFL Under 18 championships with a solid 28-point win over a tenacious Northern Territory at MC Labour Park on Saturday.

The Scorpions 15.8 (98) defeated the Thunder 10.10 (70). In the first of the double-header at Carlton, Queensland led for the majority of the day, but it wasn't able to truly shake the Territory from snapping at its heels until the final term, when it booted four goals to two.

Queensland, a state that is expected to be bountiful for draftees this year, had several standout performers. And it was those prospects that stood tall.

Ricky Petterd was outstanding with 28 disposals - the most for the match - while Albert Proud, rated one of his state's best draft prospects this season, and the pony-tailed Gavin Urquhart, who was an All-Australian at this level last year, were terrific.

The courageous David Armitage, who suffered a nasty injury to his ear against NSW/ACT in the Challenge Cup on the Queen's Birthday yet played against the Territory with a helmet, was one of his side's best. Former basketballer Kurt Tippett, at 199cm, is also one to keep an eye on, as he impressed with some strong marking in front of goal.

Forward Chris Smith was lively in the first half and finished with three goals, while key tall Jesse Smith also finished with three to his name.

Northern Territory skipper Joe Anderson won 16 disposals before the main break, before ending the match with 26 to his name - he was arguably Northern Territory's best - while Trevor Oliver and Nathan Djerrkura impressed. Jethro Calma-Holt was also impressive up forward with three goals.

Queensland started off strongly with the opening three goals of the match, while Northern Territory peppered the scoreboard but was unable to capitalise. Enter the diminutive Stewart Rioli, continuing a great Territory football name, who beautifully chipped a soccer goal for his side's first major. And when Charlie Sharples followed up with another Thunder goal, the margin was just three points at quarter-time.

Patrick Fittock made it three in a row for the Territory - putting his side in front for the only time in the match - when he kicked off the second term. But when the Scorpions answered with six of the remaining seven goals before half-time - including three to Smith - Queensland took a 28-point lead into half-time.

The only sour note for Queensland during that period was the yellow card handed out to Dzufer, who was sent off after being involved in a scuffle, which resulted in him being reported for striking. He was sent from the ground for 15 mins, returning in the second half.

After the long change, Northern Territory made a bright start when it booted the first three goals of the second half to reduce the deficit to just 10 points. But two quick goals from the Scorpions gave them some breathing space. Yet when Territorian Peter Rolfe threaded through a brilliant goal from the boundary at the Legends Stand end as the siren was sounding, the Thunder were still within touch at three quarter-time.

Although Queensland took control in the final term, the undoubted highlight of the term was a classical hanger to Calma-Holt - sure to feature in the DVD highlights for years to come.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=275890

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tassie def. NSW - Riewoldt, Hislop, Thorp best
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 05:50:30 PM »
Riewoldt impresses
5:34:30 PM Sat 24 June, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

TASMANIA:  3.3   5.9   8.11  11.12 (78)
NSW/ACT:   4.1   7.2    9.2    10.7 (67)

GOALS -
Tasmania: Riewoldt 4, Garland 2, Hislop 2, Thorp 2, Wells
NSW/ACT: McIntyre 2, Stroobants 2, Dickinson, Eintwisle, Koehler, Louis, Meiselbach, Neyland

BEST -
Tasmania: Riewoldt, Thorp, Hislop, Joseph, Wells, Mohr
NSW/ACT: Bird, Dickinson, Paine, Duryea, Suckling, McIntyre

UMPIRES - Ritchie, Bowen, Raven
MC Labour Park, Carlton

Jack Riewoldt, the cousin of St Kilda superstar Nick, has produced a match-winning performance to give second division title-holder Tasmania an 11-point victory over New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory in its first match of the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

The Apple Isle 11.12 (78) defeated the Rams 10.7 (67) to complete the second match of the double-header staged at MC Labour Park in Carlton on Saturday. In the earlier match, Queensland held off Northern Territory by 28 points.

But it was the heroics of Riewoldt that will have plenty of tongues wagging, as the 193cm-tall forward booted three successive goals in the final term for Tasmania - his side's only majors during that period - to give the Apple Isle the four points.

After NSW/ACT's Jay Koehler opened the final term to put the Rams in front, the combine looked set to upset the more favoured Tasmania. But when Riewoldt stepped up to boot three goals in six minutes, the boys from the south were home.

It was a terrific comeback from Riewoldt, who did not get a touch in the first quarter. Yet he finished with 15 disposals in a best-on-ground effort. His whereabouts come November will certainly be one to keep an eye on.

Mitchell Thorp, arguably Tasmania's highest-rated draft prospect, was one of his side's best. The 195cm-tall forward/defender finished the match with 24 touches - the most for the game - in an impressive display. Tom Hislop, another name to keep tabs on, also shone with 23 disposals and a couple of majors.

For NSW/ACT, among its best was captain Craig Bird, who finished with 20 possessions and six tackles, while Todd Dickinson also laid 11 tackles. Evan Duryea won 22 disposals - the most for his side.

New South Wales gained the early jump with the first two goals of the match, but when Hislop booted his second, Tasmania trailed by just four points at the first break.

Again, the second term was tight. Tasmania gained the lead mid-way through the quarter, but when the Rams added two in succession, the combine led by six points at half-time.

The Taswegians booted the first three goals of the second half to break away to a 14-point lead and it looked as if the Apple Isle was set to take full control of the match.

But when Josh Meiselbach opened NSW/ACT's account 20 minutes into the second half and the opportunistic Tim McIntyre snapped his second, the Rams were right back in the hunt. At three-quarter-time, Tassie led by just three points.

But after eight lead changes in the match, when Riewoldt stepped up in the final term, Tasmania was home.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=275912

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Riewoldt finishes with a bang, and the name is Jack (The Age)
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2006, 02:56:00 AM »
Riewoldt finishes with a bang, and the name is Jack
Emma Quayle
The Age
June 25, 2006

A RIEWOLDT kicked three match-winning goals yesterday, but it wasn't Nick.

As the St Kilda player took the weekend off, his 17-year-old cousin, Jack, recovered from a slow start in Tasmania's opening under-18 game against NSW/ACT to kick the last three goals of the game and secure an 11-point win.

After not touching the ball in the first quarter, the 193-centimetre forward finished with 15 possessions, eight marks and four goals, a month after returning from a broken collarbone.

Teammates Tom Hislop and Mitch Thorp, who like Riewoldt have already played in Tasmania's VFL side, also impressed.

Riewoldt did not have to look far for injury advice when a teammate fell on him at training earlier this year, snapping his collarbone. Two years ago, Nick Riewoldt ran into his own early-season shoulder woes playing Brisbane at the Gabba.

"Nick was really good. He talked to me all the time about it and he said, 'You can't let it get you down'," Jack told The Age before the national championships.

"That was how he put it to me and, in a way, it was a good time to do it, because I knew I'd have to work hard if I wanted to play at the championships.

"I looked on it as a positive thing, to get fit and concentrate on the parts of my game I knew I could get better."

Riewoldt is one of several youngsters who have brought famous names and footballing bloodlines to Melbourne for the nine-day carnival. Western Australia will take on Vic Country and Vic Metro will launch its title defence against South Australia at Princes Park today.

Geelong has already secured Tom Hawkins, son of Jack, as a father-son selection. The big, bubbly forward, who is from Finley in NSW, was allowed to play for Metro because he goes to school in Melbourne.

Thorp is a nephew of Brent Crosswell and Craig Davis and a cousin of Nick Davis. Two of Dean Rioli's cousins, Stewart and Cyril, played for the Northern Territory in its 28-point loss to Queensland yesterday.

West Coast's Josh Wooden has a brother, Jacob, in the NSW/ACT team, Peter Everitt's brother Andrejs will hold down a spot in the Metro defence, and West Coast's Mitch Morton has a brother, Jarryd, in the talented WA line-up.

Nathan Krakouer, Andrew's cousin and Phil and Jim's nephew, will also play for WA, Vic Country's Ben Reid is the son of Bruce Reid, who played 88 games for Footscray, and Danny Frawley's nephew, James, is also in the Country squad.

Riewoldt, who switched from soccer three years ago, said he watched his cousin closely when he got to see St Kilda play. Jack's father, Chris, played 273 games in Tasmania, another 50 state games, and knocked back an offer to join the Saints in 1980, because of work.

"Dad's been a huge influence on me and so has Nick. He'll point out little things to me and I try to watch how much running he does, and do the same in my games," Riewoldt said.

"I don't want to be too much like him, but we're similar body types and we play the same position. If I want to become a good player, he's a good person to model myself on."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/24/1150845421073.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships - Proud discovers discipline (The Age)
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2006, 02:59:53 AM »
Proud discovers discipline
Emma Quayle
The Age
June 25, 2006

ALBERT Proud did not feel particularly satisfied when he left Melbourne at the end of last year's national under-18 carnival.

The Queenslander had been forced to watch from the bench for the start of the second half as his side and Tasmania battled out the division-two decider.

Proud and a Tasmanian opponent had been yellow-carded after a melee, which broke out on the half-time siren and left Proud with a three-match suspension, a two-game suspended sentence, and a determination to work out how to handle himself better, next time.

"They got under my skin that day. I let them get to me pretty bad and it wasn't a great day," Proud said.

"It's a bit bizarre to look back on now. It was a bit wild. They just got me at the wrong moment."

Queensland lost that match, but Proud, who was too young for last November's draft, had done enough throughout the championships to earn a place in the AIS-AFL Academy squad.

There, he learnt how to make sure there are no more wrong moments.

"You just have to learn that people are always going to try and get under your guard. You're the one who can't let them," Proud said.

"There was a psychologist I used to see at the AIS, and that really helped. I learnt some strategies to deal with that sort of stuff, things I can think back over or write on my hand to remind me. I won't let anyone get to me any more."

Proud was back in Melbourne yesterday, putting an injury-interrupted year behind him to captain the Queenslanders to a 28-point win over a tenacious Northern Territory side in the opening game of this year's carnival.

The powerful midfielder, who returned from stress fractures in a foot at the start of the year, only to injure his shoulder after one match back, impressed in the midfield alongside the smooth Ricky Petterd and the fearless David Armitage, who wore a helmet after he almost had an ear torn off in a trial game a few weeks ago.

He was also the player who picked the ball up and sent a free kick quickly forward, after teammate Daniel Dzufer was reported for striking and yellow-carded, prompting another short scuffle.

Kurt Tippett, a high-leaping recent convert from basketball, kicked three goals for the Scorpions. Another ruck and key-position prospect, Jesse White, booted three, and a dogged Gavin Urquhart played well across half-back.

Proud, whose one-year academy scholarship will end at lunch with teammates and coach Alan McConnell tomorrow, was able to play in only one of the under-17 team's mixed rule games against Ireland this year. The 17-year-old had been desperate to wear Australian colours before then, but found there were ways to contribute even though he couldn't play. After two draws, the Australians clinched the series with a huge win in the final game.

"I'm pretty big on the team thing, so I thought if I couldn't play, I'd do my best at whatever I could do," Proud said.

"That was getting better for the third game, and before then carrying the water around and encouraging all the boys. Doing those things made me feel like I was part of it."

YOUNG GUNS TO KEEP AN EYE ON

Vic Country: Lachlan Hansen (30), Travis Boak (4), Shaun Grigg (18), Ben Reid (21)

WA: Scott Gumbleton (18), Clayton Collard (6), Leroy Jetta (4), Matthew Leuenberger (23)

Vic Metro: Tom Hawkins (9), Andrejs Everitt (29), David Mackay (7)

South Australia: James Sellar (20), Bryce Gibbs (10), Chris Schmidt (13) Zac Millar (8)

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/24/1150845421094.html

Ox

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2006, 09:55:32 AM »
The Riewoldt family got smashed with the ugly stick,big time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2006, 10:23:47 AM »
I see there is another Selwood running arond in the under 18 championships this year.

Is he related to the Selwood twins that play for WCE & Brisbane repsectively?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2006, 03:06:21 PM »
Joel Selwood is the younger brother of the AFL twins WP. Plays with the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup and has been ranked as a top 5/10 pick in the draft this year. He isn't playing in the U18 Champs due to a knee injury which he copped at the end of May against Geelong Falcons which put him out for 4-5 weeks.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships - Vic Country def. WA
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2006, 05:14:46 PM »
Vic Country topples WA
3:03:14 PM Sun 25 June, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

VICTORIA COUNTRY: 4.2 7.4 11.8 14.8 (92)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA: 4.1 6.6 8.10 11.14 (80)

GOALS - Victoria Country: M.Brown 3, Weeks 3, Grigg 2, Eddy, George, Hardy, Reid, Ross, Ryan
Western Australia: Foster 3, Krakouer 2, Collard, Dick, Jetta, McNarmara, Morton, Moss

BEST - Victoria Country: Grigg, Eddy, George, Hansen, M.Brown, Weeks
Western Australia: Moss, Gumbleton, O'Brien, Jetta, Foster, Masten

UMPIRES - Medlin, Walker, Tuckett
MC Labour Park, Carlton

After failing to win a match in last year's NAB AFL under 18s championships, Victoria Country has opened its 2006 campaign in style, defeating the highly-fancied Western Australia by 12 points on Sunday.

Country 14.8 (92) defeated the Sandgropers 11.14 (80) in the first of the division one matches of this year's tournament. It was the opening match of the double-header at MC Labour Park on Sunday.

In an entertaining and free-flowing contest, the lead changed seven times, while the scores were level on three occasions. But Vic Country gained the ascendancy in the second half and at one point had registered six consecutive goals.

AIS/AFL Academy graduates Shaun Grigg (22 touches and two goals) and Robert Eddy (28 disposals - including 24 kicks) were outstanding. Grant Weeks and Mitchell Brown were also strong performers in front of goal, with the duo booting three majors each.

Scott Gumbleton, a distant relative of 1975 Kangaroos premiership player Frank, showed why he will be a much-sought after player in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Gumbleton, a 195cm tall forward/defender, took a courageous mark in the first quarter, while he made a brilliant tackle during the second term, when he ran down Ben Ross, who was charging towards goal.

Garry Moss was Western Australia's leading ball-winner with 30 touches, while highly ranked draft prospects, the exciting Leroy Jetta (26 possessions) and penetrating kicker Brock O'Brien shone. Dominic Foster also kicked three goals and impressed with his set-shot kicking.

Ruckman Matthew Leuenberger looms as a beauty long-term and was one that caught the eye, while Clayton Collard, another player to watch, certainly made his mark in the second term with a terrific hanger over the top of Vic Country's Jeff Ryan.

Jetta kicked off proceedings, before Vic Country opened its account with three in a row - including two from Grigg. But Country's 14-point lead was quickly reduced to just the narrowest of margins at the first break, when the Sandgropers hit back with three of the remaining four goals for the term. This included two lovely set-shot goals from Foster.

Western Australia jumped away to an 11-point lead early in the second term, but the Vics hit back with the final three goals of the quarter to claim a four-point advantage at half-time.

The Sandgropers hit the lead early in the second half, when Foster kicked his third and Brad Dick followed up soon after. But Country fought back strongly with four unanswered goals - including two to M.Brown - to claim a 16-point lead at three quarter-time.

Country bounced out to a 28-point lead - the biggest of the match - early in the final term, which in the end was too much for the Sandgropers to peg back, although they booted three of the final four goals.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=275963

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships - Vic Metro thumps SA
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 06:15:29 PM »
Future stars shine in Vic Metro win
5:44:41 PM Sun 25 June, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

VICTORIA METROPOLITAN: 4.4 9.6 13.10 17.13 (115)
SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 3.1 4.2 7.5 8.8 (56)

GOALS - Victoria Metropolitan: Hawkins 5, Adams, Anderson, Dawes, Houli, Kreuzer, Prismall, Smith, Veszpremi
South Australia: Thomas 2, Burton, Gibbs, Hurley, Jurek, Schmidt

BEST - Victoria Metropolitan: Hawkins, Adams, Allen, Veszpremi, Anderson, Houli
South Australia: Gibbs, Hurley, Sellar, Buckley, Thomas, Schmidt

UMPIRES - Shepherson, Dalgleish, Lessels
MC Labour Park, Carlton

Geelong has done it again. The Cats have already claimed the likes of Gary Ablett and Matthew Scarlett via the father-son rule and again they have another beauty on their hands in Tom Hawkins.

The son of former Cat Jack is set to wear the blue and white in 2007, and he showcased his massive potential in Victorian Metropolitan's win over South Australia on Sunday.

Although Vic Metro 17.13 (115) defeated the Croweaters 8.8 (56) in the second of the division one double-header at MC Labour Park on Sunday, it was the performances of Hawkins and potential No.1 draftee Bryce Gibbs from South Australia, which were the talking points from the match. Earlier in the day, Vic Country defeated Western Australia by 12 points.

Hawkins booted six goals, claimed 19 disposals and grabbed 12 marks in a stunning best-on-ground performance for Vic Metro, despite hailing from New South Wales. Yet he played for the Vics as he is schooling at Melbourne Grammar.

Gibbs was also brilliant with 34 possessions, including 18 kicks and 16 handballs. He also took seven marks and had nine clearances. But in a somewhat twist of irony, recent clarification in rules means that Gibbs cannot be claimed by Adelaide via the father/son rule - his father Ross was a standout for Glenelg in the SANFL.

He is now set to be highly-sought draft selection, with several lowly AFL teams set to be queuing up come November.

Other fine players for Vic Metro including Leigh Adams, who gained 21 touches, which was highlighted with some spearing passess, while Patrick Veszpremi and Bachar Houli, up forward, also impressed.

James Sellar, also one of the country's hottest prospects - he is rated a top five prospect - was particularly impressive in the second half with 22 disposals, while Tom Hurley had 34 touches, including 19 before the main break.

Vic Metro started in a blaze of glory and it was Hawkins who led the way. He booted the opening two goals of the match, while the city slickers had four on the board and a 25-point lead.

But South Australia fought back gallantly in the latter part of the term with the final three goals of the quarter to reduce the margin back to just nine points.

Metro dominated the second term, booting five goals to one, with Hawkins and Houli again posing problems up forward for the Croweaters. Gibbs was the lone South Australian goalkicker, as the Vics claimed a 34-point lead at half-time.

South Australia started in terrific fashion during the second half, when it slammed home the opening three goals to peg the deficit back to just 14 points. But enter Hawkins, who kicked two of the remaining four Vic Metro goals for the quarter, including his fifth.

Vic Metro added a further four goals to one in the final term, running out convincing winners. It was a performance that gives them great confidence in winning its third consecutive title, having won in 2004-05.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=275989

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2006, 10:10:26 PM »
Joel Selwood is the younger brother of the AFL twins WP. Plays with the Bendigo Pioneers in the TAC Cup and has been ranked as a top 5/10 pick in the draft this year. He isn't playing in the U18 Champs due to a knee injury which he copped at the end of May against Geelong Falcons which put him out for 4-5 weeks.

Thanks Mr One-Eyed ;D :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Young Hansen is just keen to get a job done (The Age)
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 02:48:28 AM »
Young Hansen is just keen to get a job done
Emma Quayle
The Age
June 26, 2006

Vic Country's bright young hope, Lachlan Hansen tangles with a WA opponent yesterday.
Photo: James Boddington

LACHIE Hansen treats football much like his year-12 studies. "I just reckon you just get the job done," the Pakenham student said yesterday. "You just do it. It doesn't have to be too special. You just have to get it done."

There is an unfussed side to Hansen's football game, but there are also some special parts. The pointy end of the national draft likes its players tall, fast and smart, able to mark the ball cleanly and read the play well enough to get it.

Hansen could do all of those things before Vic Country toppled Western Australia by 12 points in the opening division game at Princes Park yesterday, and did them again throughout. He glided across the half-back line, in body and in mind.

"He's just a cool character. He's a cool, relaxed person," said Country coach Leon Harris. "He shores us up. He was awesome."

That said, the jockeying for positions within the top three or four is still very much alive. If you don't like Hansen, you might like Scott Gumbleton, the big, bubbly West Australian who Hansen spent some of yesterday's match — as a forward and a defender — playing on.

Gumbleton, like Hansen, takes marks. He also is a player who can interrupt a match by launching himself at a ball, whereas Hansen plays with constant force.

Then, there is James Sellar, who matches their 195-centimetres, is about six months younger and showed his versatility yesterday, playing in the ruck for South Australia against Vic Metro.

Not to mention Bryce Gibbs. Had the priority pick system not been changed this season and Essendon, Carlton or the Kangaroos had early access to two players, the bottom club would have got their midfielder and their tall, the one to develop and the potential quick-fix.

As it stands, they can only get one and logic says Gibbs, who is clean, smart and commanding, will be up and running before the taller boys. He has poise and balance, and is a ball magnet who virtually decides where games go.

The South Australians' momentum yesterday generally came from where he was on the ground, although he could do little to stave off a big win for the locals, 17.13 (115) to 8.8 (56).

Hansen, no relation to West Coast's Ashley Hansen, played in last year's championships and was one of his side's best players throughout, but is too young for the draft. He had a hip flexor injury last month, and yesterday's match was just his second back.

With recruiters tipping Western Australia will provide a larger share of draftees and that Queensland, will have more players drafted than Vic Metro, he is also the big local hope.

Joel Selwood has also been in top-five calculations for more than a year, but persistent knee problems have disrupted his final junior season and kept him out of this carnival.

Hansen thinks no more about the draft than he did last season, but feels he's a bigger, stronger player, having gained about eight kilograms since this time last year.

"I can contest a bit better and not get pushed off the ball easily," he said.

"My marking's probably my strength, and my run. If I don't get pushed around, I can use it a lot more."

Hansen did not start on Gumbleton, who began in the WA defence, but went forward during the second quarter, and made sure to play him from the front.

Late in the game Gumbleton went forward and, like he has before, Hansen chose to sit right behind him.

The pair, teammates in the AIS-AFL Academy squad that went to Ireland two years ago, first met the season before then, as under-16s.

Their duel, and the debate over who is better, will surely continue past this November.

For now, Hansen doesn't want to dish out too much praise. "He's got a pretty big engine. He just keeps presenting when he's up forward and he's a pretty good mark as well," he said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/25/1151174073556.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships round one report (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 02:51:47 AM »
26 June 2006   Herald-Sun
David Hastie

Fair leap: WA's Clayton Collard gets airborne.
Picture: Michael Klein

Apart from Hawkins it was an even performance by Metro.

Western Jets forward Rhyce Prismall, brother of Geelong midfielder Brent, was impressive with two goals, while Northern Knight Patrick Veszpremi, 16, showed skill and maturity beyond his years with 20 touches and a goal.

Dickson also singled out the leadership of Metro captain and Eastern Ranges onballer Leigh Adams, who had 21 possessions and six inside 50s.

``Our captain was sensational today. You can talk about your Gibbs and whoever else, but he really hurt them,'' Dickson said.

South Australian midfielders Bryce Gibbs and captain Tom Hurley both collected 34 touches and were SA's best.

Gibbs, touted as the No.1 draft pick, failed to have a major impact on the game.

In the other under-18 division one match, Vic Country held off Western Australia to win by 12 points, 14.8 (92) to 11.14 (80).

Gippsland Power forward Lachlan Hansen and Peel Thunder's Scott Gumbleton went head to head in an absorbing display. Midfielders Rob Eddy, Shaun Grigg and Lachlan George were among Country's best while twins Nathan and Mitchell Brown were also dominant.

WA onballer Leroy Jetta collected 26 touches, and captain Garry Moss had 30 possessions.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,19587140%255E19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships - QLD annihilate NSW
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »
Red-hot Queensland
1:34:57 PM Tue 27 June, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

QUEENSLAND: 7.3   10.8   16.10   23.14 (152)
NSW/ACT:          3.1   4.4      4.5       5.6 (36)

GOALS -
Queensland: Smith 7, Tippett 4, Kiel 3, Tapp 2, Armitage, Brittain, Dzufer, Eaton, Hampson, Pope, Proud
NSW/ACT: Paine 2, Gumley, Stroobants, Townsend

BEST -
Queensland: Dzufer, Smith, Armitage, Tippett, Kiel, Petterd, Eaton, White
NSW/ACT: Bird, Paine, McIntyre, Dickinson, Suckling

Skilled Stadium, Geelong

Red-hot Queensland is well on its way to claiming its first division two title since 1999 after blowing away New South Wales/Australian Capital Territory by a whopping 116 points.

In the first of the division-two double-header at Skilled Stadium in Geelong on Tuesday, the Scorpions 23.14 (142) defeated the Rams 5.6 (36) in one of the most comprehensive victories seen in recent NAB AFL under 18 championships.

From the four-minute mark of the first term, Queensland took the lead and never looked back and it's not surprising that a number of Maroons are set to be sought-after players in November.

Up forward, Chris Smith, who loves kicking a goal and celebrating his feats, was the leading goalkicking with seven goals - all in the second half.

His kicking was goal was particularly impressive, while he took a fine pack mark in the final term. It was a terrific performance from the mid-sized forward. Smith now has 10 goals from his two outings in the championships.

Advertising
Kurt Tippett shone before the main break with four majors. Tippett, an outstanding prospect, was such a prominent target for Queensland that his teammates looked for him 15 times as a genuine 'go to man' in the first half.

His contested marking is a feature of his game, while the potential in him is enormous, considering he hails from a basketball background. Tippett was a Queensland under-age basketball representative.

Daniel Dzufer was outstanding with 29 touches and 13 marks, while David Armitage (23 diposals) and Ricky Petterd (20 possessions) were also among Queensland's best. Hayden Kiel was also a fine player with three goals.

For the Rams, captain Craig Bird was his side's best with 23 touches, while Tim McIntyre won 24 possessions. Nick Paine was NSW/ACT's only multiple goalscorer with two majors.

NSW/ACT registered the first goal of the match via Jake Gumley, yet it soon became the Queensland show. The Scorpions booted seven goals to three, jumping out to a 26-point lead at quarter-time.

Again, the Maroons held sway in the second term with three goals to one, with Tippett shining up forward with three goals before half-time. Ball-winners Dzufer, Petterd and Kiel were also among the thick of the action during this period.

But there was never any thought of a NSW/ACT comeback in the second half as Queensland booted six unanswered goals in the third term, while the Rams could muster just one behind via Evan Duryea - who hit the post - in this quarter.

It was truly party time for Queensland in the final term as it added a further seven goals, while NSW/ACT got its first goal from Steven Stroobants since Nick Paine booted his second goal at the 12-minute mark in the second term.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=276414

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: U18 Championships - NT knocked off Tassie
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 04:52:34 PM »
NT breaks through
4:03:11 PM Tue 27 June, 2006
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

TASMANIA:   2.2  4.4   7.4      9.5 (59)
NTHN TERR: 1.2  6.8   10.8   14.11 (95)

GOALS -
Tasmania: Garland 2, Riewoldt 2, Wells 2, Bellchambers, Higgs, Thorp
Northern Territory: Calma-Holt 3, Djerrkura 3, Fittock 3, Campbell 2, Oliver, C.Rioli, S.Rioli

BEST -
Tasmania: Thorp, Hislop, Joseph, Collier, Garland, Wells,
Northern Territory: C.Rioli, Oliver, Djerkurra, Fittock, Calma-Holt, Cubillo

at Skilled Stadium, Geelong

Northern Territory has won its first NAB AFL under-18 championship clash since 2004, after it produced a major upset over Tasmania by 36 points in the second match of the double-header at Skilled Stadium in Geelong on Tuesday.

The Thunder 14.11 (95) defeated the Apple Isle 9.5 (59).

Having gone through last year's carnival winless, Northern Territory bounced back from a 28-point loss to Queensland last Saturday to achieve a fine win.

Northern Territorian Cyril Rioli, nephew of Norm Smith Medallists Maurice Rioli and Michael Long, was outstanding again. He won 23 touches and was arguably best-on-ground.

Tom Oliver also shone with 32 possessions - the most for the match - while he laid eight tackles. Teammate Josh Cubillo was the next leading ball-winner with 26 touches.

The Thunder had three players kick three goals each - Jethro Calma-Holt, Nathan Djerrkura and Patrick Fittock - and all three were crucial players in the win.

Highly-rated Tasmanian Mitchell Thorp was clearly his side's best player. He finished with 27 disposals (17 kicks and 10 handballs) and 10 marks. Tom Hislop also gained 20 touches and was prominent for his state.

In a low-scoring first term, Calma-Holt kicked off proceedings for the Territory, which proved to be the Thunder's only major during that period. But Tassie could only muster two majors, although it took a six-point advantage into the first break.

The Apple Isle opened the second quarter with two in a row, jumping out to a 16-point lead, but it soon proved to be the Territory's term.

The Thunder slammed on five unanswered goals - including two each from Bradley Campbell and Fittock - to gain a 16-point lead at half-time.

Northern Territory broke away to a 28-point lead early in the second half, when Djerrkura booted a couple and Fittock added his third. By three quarter-time, Tasmania trailed by 22 points.

Calma-Holt booted his third to kick-start the final term and when Stewart Rioli kicked truly at the 16-minute mark, the Thunder was out to a 41-point lead with victory clearly assured.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=276469

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Queensland a state of excitement for the AFL (The Age)
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2006, 01:47:58 AM »
Queensland a state of excitement for the AFL
Emma Quayle
The Age
June 28, 2006

THREE years ago, Kurt Tippett was preparing to spend Christmas in Los Angeles and San Francisco, playing basketball against American college teams.

Tauryan Zimmer was playing cricket in Warrnambool, Albert Proud was running around in a Braybrook jumper and David Armitage was playing footy in Mackay, wondering if people ever looked at Queensland kids.

Times have changed. Tippett played football for Queensland yesterday. He took five marks, kicked four goals and his teammates looked for him 15 times in the first half against NSW at Skilled Stadium. The likes of Brendan Fevola and Matthew Lloyd are the go-to guys about 12 times in an AFL game.

Zimmer, who shifted to the Gold Coast two years ago, played across half-back. Proud, who moved north years ago, ran through the middle, while the relentless Armitage spent much of his day on his knees, pumping handballs out of packs.

This Scorpions side is considered perhaps the best division two team yet seen at the under-18 championships, and likely to produce at least eight draftees in November.

It all comes a year after the state sent six youngsters to the AFL — Wayde Mills and Rhan Hooper to the Brisbane Lions, Courtenay Dempsey and Austin Lucy to Essendon, Sam Gilbert to St Kilda and Michael West to the Bulldogs.

Proud, Armitage and the smooth-moving Ricky Petterd are the onballers to watch. Gavin Urquhart hurt his neck yesterday, but made the All-Australian side last July and bounded off the half-back flank in Queensland's first game.

He played in the same AIS-AFL Academy team as the three midfielders and Brent Renouf, who has kicked plenty of goals playing senior football in Brisbane this year, and is considered one of the two best available ruck options.

Tippett kicked his first football less than two years ago. When he got home from his six-week trip to the US, with Queensland's under-18 basketball side, his plan was to get back there one day, or at least play in the National Basketball League. Then, his friends talked him into playing some footy. One of them was Ben Merrett, whose father Roger played more than 300 games for Essendon and Brisbane. Tippett started out at Southport, made a Gold Coast representative side, played seniors in his first year and has now come to Melbourne with the under-18 team.

The 199-centimetre forward is the latest youngster to be lured from other sports by Queensland talent manager Mark Browning.

Tom Williams went to the Bulldogs from rugby, while the English-born Brad Moran played soccer, rugby union and rowed before the Kangaroos drafted him after only one season of football.

The 201-centimetre Shaun Hampson played alongside Tippett yesterday after growing too tall to be a soccer striker. Another Queenslander, Scott Clouston, was a soccer goalkeeper before Browning nabbed him.

Tippett still plays basketball once or twice a week, but fell in love with the wide open spaces of the football field, and thinks his basketball skills have helped him adapt quickly to his new game.

"You've got to work hard to get a kick in footy. In basketball, it's given to you, so if you can't catch it, you're not going to be too flash," he said.

"Being able to grab the ball and hold on to it is probably what has helped me."

Zimmer moved north so that his sister, swimmer Tayliah, could train on the Gold Coast. He had played in a Geelong Falcons squad before then, but it wasn't until he played at Southport that he started thinking of bigger things. "When I lived in Victoria, I didn't really think about making AFL. Ever since I moved, I started to realise that I might be able to make it," he said. "When you're in Victoria, you're a number. In Queensland, you can sort of see a way."

Armitage almost didn't make it to Melbourne, after having an ear partly torn off in a trial game two weeks ago. He was born and raised in northern Queensland, and played rugby league and union as a youngster.

His father came from Tasmania, though, which meant footy always came first. "There would have been only a few kids at Auskick when I started and even when I made under 15s, you'd look at the older kids and only a few of them were ever getting noticed," Armitage said. "Now it's different. It's grown so much. It feels like people are taking notice of us now."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/06/27/1151174203169.html