Author Topic: Who do you want to have a breakout season in 2023?  (Read 1902 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Who do you want to have a breakout season in 2023?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 09:37:49 PM »
For me i have been hoping for better skilled  more rounded wingers if you like. Would like to see Banks step up or even Brown on a wing.

Really need Ryan to take steps but as a ruckman. Have never been a fan of Ivan.

Bauer is an obvious one the only other genuine tall fwd we on the list outside of JR and TL. He looks more like a tall a bit like Gunston  rather than a big kpf.

Hope Clarke steps up just to keep the pressure on MRJ and Cumberland.

To me its a must Gibcus and Sonsie play all year form and injuries permitting. Just too much potential to not keep on  fast tracking.

Last but not least Ben Miller maybe as a key fwd 2nd ruck. If he can go another step or two he offers us fantastic flexability in games.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 10:46:18 PM »
I would like Biggy have a breakout season , on top of all the others mentioned, confidence seems to be one of the things that holds him back
After all the early concern last year, we brought a lot of kids in last year and I’m hoping for a bit of the same transition this year, with injuries and restings, they will need to first earn an opportuniy  then prove their worth ,as it should be.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 07:25:31 PM »
 Biggy Nyuon currently has no contract and could still  be cut.,

We did bring in some kids last year some got nothing more than a taste some got a decent go.
Imo Miller, Sonsie, Gibcus, Rioli and Cumberland proved their worth. They have to be on the same footing as all the middle tier players imo.
If they have to earn an opportunity so do three quarters of the list.

Would have thought Rioli and Cumberland have the small fwd roles locked away. Miller as a fwd ruck has to be a better option than Soldo and actually showed he was.
Sonsie proved he belongs at the level in a big way.
Gibcus despite fading showed he is just way too good to be playing magoos.

It only left Ross, Balta, Dow, Ralphsmith who played more than a handful of games and they will enter their 4th 5th and 6th seasons next year.
Balta aside who is coming off a poor season anyway, the first group named is easily better options and have defined roles to fill in the seniors.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 07:50:03 PM »
The question is who would YOU want to have a breakout season in 2023 , I would like to see Biggy this year turn it around and last year I wanted to see Cumberland .

Maybe we should compare how many of our under 23’s got a crack last year compared the rest of the competition, I’d would be surprised if we didn’t stack up well , despite the early panic .

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2022, 02:10:41 PM »
SEN says Gibcus.

Josh Gibcus

In 2022, the no.9 draft pick enjoyed an impressive start to what will likely be an extensive AFL career.

Josh Gibcus played 18 games in his debut campaign and largely looked right at home in defence.

His aerial exploits, vertical leap and ability to take an intercept mark are the attributes that will carry him a long way.

Gibcus, who also showed he can drift forward when needed, was rewarded by the Tigers with the Best First Year Player award for his efforts.

With Robbie Tarrant and Noah Balta holding down key defensive posts, and with Nick Vlastuin and Dylan Grimes also defensive focal points, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has the luxury of playing Gibcus in a more periphery role as he continues to develop.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/10/26/the-player-breakout-that-could-elevate-your-club-in-2023/

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2022, 07:44:02 PM »
The question is who would YOU want to have a breakout season in 2023 , I would like to see Biggy this year turn it around and last year I wanted to see Cumberland .

Maybe we should compare how many of our under 23’s got a crack last year compared the rest of the competition, I’d would be surprised if we didn’t stack up well , despite the early panic .

Have done the exercise most seasons.
Currently we only have 13 players who are under 23 and i would argue that we have the least amount of games into this group of just about all clubs.

That was a part of the problem this year injuries hit and all we mostly had to throw in was players with little game time at the level.
Not only do we have few under 22's we dont have a lot of games into most of them.

Going back to the topic i hope Nyuon has a break out season as well but he is well behind Tarrant, Miller, Balta, Grimes, Gibcus.
If we are not going to turn those players into a key fwd maybe it should be nyuon.