Author Topic: Tylar Young [merged]  (Read 26895 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Tylar Young [merged]
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2023, 12:00:53 AM »
One of his better ones. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2023, 03:27:56 PM »
From North Albury to taking on Buddy: Rookie Tiger's wild journey

Tylar Young didn't pick up a footy for nine years. Now he's matching up against some of the best in the competition

By Sarah Black
afl.com.au
7 July 2023

TYLAR Young came into this year with two VFL seasons and six local games of senior football with North Albury under his belt after giving up the game at 12.

On Thursday night, the inexperienced Richmond defender took on the legend of Lance Franklin – in potentially his final game at the MCG – and more than held his own.

A night at the pub saw Young convinced to pick up the oval ball again after a nine-year break from the game, ultimately running around with North Albury Hoppers in the Ovens and Murray League.

He then shifted down to Frankston VFL's side for 2020, but the season never got up due to COVID-19.

It meant 2021 was his first full season of footy since the under-12s, again playing with the Dolphins, before Richmond's VFL side came knocking for the 2022 season.

A strong season in defence saw Young elevated to Richmond's primary list as a rookie at the age of 24, making his debut in round two this year.

Twenty-one players classified as defenders or key backs have participated in at least 35 contests this year.

Young has the equal-second best loss rate of those 21 players, tied with James Sicily at a miserly 14.3 per cent from his 49 contests (with Jacob Weitering in first with 10.9) meaning he neutralises or wins 85.7 per cent of his battles.

"I played footy as a kid, then at about 12 went to soccer. They were clashing, so I had to pick one or the other," Young told AFL.com.au after Richmond's 13-point win over Sydney.

"I played soccer until I was 21, then I was just at the pub with my dad and his mate, who was the treasurer at one of the local footy clubs back in Albury, and he said why don't you come and play footy.

"It's all happened super fast. I've played 12 games, and hopefully I can keep doing it."

As to playing on Franklin, it wasn't even part of the original plan, with Noah Balta starting the game on the Swans champion.

"I didn't actually know I was going to at the start, then I got put on him. He's just another opponent, but it's pretty surreal," Young said.

"You stand next to 'Buddy' and you go, 'far out, he's kicked 1000 goals'. It was awesome, and I'll remember it forever."

Interim Richmond coach Andrew McQualter was full of praise for Young's performance against the Swans, and for his season as a whole, filling an important defensive role in the long-term absence of Robbie Tarrant (hip) and Josh Gibcus (hamstring).

"He's come a long way, 'Youngy'. He was in our VFL program last year, and I think he's played nearly every game this year, and we've given him some big roles and he's been able to get the job done consistently," McQualter said.

"'Buddy' was looking pretty dangerous tonight, so Youngy went over to him, and he had some great moments, really proud of him."

Young is simply living the dream and loving every moment.

"I've always wanted to play professional sport, whether that's soccer, footy, table tennis, I don't care. So to be here in this environment, it's awesome," he said.

"[My biggest improvement] has come from the craft stuff, the one-on-one contests, learning the plays and offense as well. Just getting the ball in my hands and using it, I'm a pretty good kick, so just back myself in and get to work.

"I work a lot with 'Truck' (Ben Rutten, backline coach), then 'Grimsey' and Balta, we're pretty close and we do everything together, and it's been awesome to have them with me.

"I think I debuted 15 weeks ago, and now I've played on Buddy Franklin, we got the win, and I'm playing AFL football, so just loving it."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/964979/from-north-albury-to-taking-on-buddy-rookie-tiger-s-wild-journey

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2023, 05:54:28 PM »
As game went on got better. Beat buddy hands down in the air and did a great tackle in second quarter

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2023, 03:56:23 PM »
Tylar Young in his 15th senior appearance displayed his development from being a purely close-checking, spoiling defender to a backman with the capacity to win the ball back from the opposition and provide some valuable rebound.

He had a career-high 19 disposals (previous best 14 in Round 7 v Gold Coast), career-high 11 intercepts (previous best eight v Gold Coast, Round 7) and career-high 407 metres gained (previous best 351 v West Coast, Round 18), to go with an equal career-high eight contested possessions, five marks, six rebound-50s and eight one-percenters.

The 24-year-old, in his debut season of AFL football, is ranked No. 8 across the competition for one-percenters per game.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1392412/young-s-breakout-game

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2023, 06:18:22 PM »
Not saying much but was probably the best of a sorry sorry bunch down back.

There was 1 play where he was standing the mark around 55m out and the Melbourne player ran off his mark, umpire called play on and young didn’t bother closing him down. Ended up having a running shot from around 50m. Luckily they missed but was 1 of 100 careless/lazy/low IQ moves by the defensive group.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »
THE PLAYER AT YOUR AFL CLUB WHO HAS EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS IN 2023

SEN
9 August 2023

Tylar Young

Not many would have heard of Tylar Young when Richmond selected him in the Rookie Draft last November.

From playing country footy for North Albury, to the VFL with both Frankston and the Tigers, to becoming an AFL regular in the space of a few seasons is a fair effort.

Young has been a mainstay in defence in the absence of the injured and now retired Robbie Tarrant, gaining invaluable experience alongside the likes of Dylan Grimes, Noah Balta, Nick Vlastuin and Nathan Broad.

While he has looked out of his depth on the odd occasion, the 24-year-old has put together a solid debut season which has earned him a two-year contract extension, something not expected when the 2023 campaign commenced.

Emerging ruck/forward Samson Ryan has played 14 games this year and has shown plenty after failing to force his way last year. He has a bright future ahead.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/09/the-player-at-your-afl-club-who-has-exceeded-expectations-in-2023/

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2023, 09:16:23 PM »
Think Young development has been an enormous win for the club. The criticism has been pretty laughable. Has played what 15 games and is winning more duals than not.
Go Tigers!

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2023, 09:59:08 PM »
Agree, to bag a late pick player who has played only a season or 2 in the seniors with less than 20 games doesn’t make sense to me as it takes more time than that for players to develop into regulars unless (usually )they are first or maybe second round picks

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2023, 09:06:28 AM »
I’m more than happy with young’s trajectory at the moment. Ultimately we want to do our best to replicate Rance/grimes/astbury and i if we were to assume Balta becomes the Rance heir. Gibcus to be grimes, I think young has the tools to reach or even exceed the heights of astbury.

Now if only our club could nail its first round picks…..

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2023, 01:45:30 PM »
Ive been a huge critic of Young. Upon reflection he does have a pretty high ceiling given his output vs games played, he just isn't or wasn't what we needed this season if we were to compete for a flag. With that said I have been all about developing the kids and looking to the future this year so I support him getting games, just needs to clean up his decision making because it has costed us goal after goal. Another pre-season and we might be looking at a really solid defender.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
Don't think his ceiling's that high - he's already 24 so not exactly a kid.  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2023, 03:02:13 PM »
He's 24 so not exactly a kid.  :shh

He's played about 20-25 games of footy his entire life I think?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2023, 03:07:11 PM »
A bit more than that and he played it growing up but then switched to soccer when he was 12 - still doesn't make him a kid. :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2023, 11:47:38 AM »
I think he's been a handy addition.

He's making less mistakes with the ball and is quite good defensively.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »
Bleak future if this bloke's a highlight. :shh

- Thomas Sowell