Author Topic: Co-captains: maintain or change?  (Read 20551 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Co-captains: maintain or change?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2023, 07:56:37 PM »
A topic could be who do you think should be our captain .

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2023, 09:17:09 PM »
Before the announcement of grimes and nank, I legit wanted Vlastuin to be captain. I still hold firm on that. Although baker is a closer second.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2023, 09:27:18 PM »
Stick with the current arrangement for one more year, and then Taranto.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2023, 09:33:10 PM »
How does this get decided? Is it voted by the playing group? Decided by the coaches? By the footy department? A combo of all?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2023, 10:01:31 PM »
Playin

Why wait a whole 'nother year? Apart from the fact it's a crap concept to start with, Grimes is half-cooked and Nank is far too undisciplined for the role and arguably on the decline as well. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2023, 10:05:51 PM »
How does this get decided? Is it voted by the playing group? Decided by the coaches? By the footy department? A combo of all?

All of the above with input from a few others eg CEO and then the recommendation is presented to the board to be ratified
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2023, 10:10:48 PM »
Playin

Why wait a whole 'nother year? Apart from the fact it's a crap concept to start with, Grimes is half-cooked and Nank is far too undisciplined for the role and arguably on the decline as well. :shh
OMG we are on the same page. Impossible we agree on this . I'm shocked

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2023, 10:24:13 PM »
Playin

Maybe, but just seems a bit disrespectful to ditch two of our long term champs with a bloke who's been here for one year. Just my opinion.
Actually wouldn't be shocked if Nank stepped down from the role at the end of this year. I reckon he might have realised he's not suited to captaincy and is better off as the enforcer. Hard to be both these days.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2023, 10:26:38 PM »

All of the above with input from a few others eg CEO and then the recommendation is presented to the board to be ratified

I swear since maybe the 3 man team was selected in 2017 the club has been a lot less transparent on this process and the leadership group. Feel like they used to be more open about who was captain, vice captain, deputy vice, who else was in the leadership team, there was even like a young leadership team from memory.

Anyway there isn’t really a standout pick to be captain from our current team imo which is a problem in its own right. Lynch would be my pick but he’s inevitably gonna miss too many games. Taranto is our best player and hasn’t missed a game although I’m still unsure of his leadership qualities since he’s only been with us for 9 or so months. Hopper gives off leadership vibes in his interviews however he has his own injury issues in the past couple of seasons. Baker displays strong leadership qualities on field, putting his body on the line and doing the team things but does also seem like the goofy/prankster/immature type so not sure how he’d go with all the off field stuff.

I think the player which gives you the best balance of performance, durability, on field leadership, off field leadership is vlastuin. Only thing is he is 29 so would be another short term appointment although maybe that’s not such a bad thing. Take over until another natural young leader emerges.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2023, 12:17:29 AM »
Baker strikes me as a Tony Shaw type captain - cheeky little mongrel who leads from the front and gets under the oppos skin and goads them into giving away frees. Can just  see him stirring up flogs like Danger, Sicily & Andrews at the coin toss and laughing at 'em like Shaw did to Spud Frawley all those years ago. Him & Greene at the toss would be interesting. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2023, 01:57:25 AM »
Baker strikes me as a Tony Shaw type captain - cheeky little mongrel who leads from the front and gets under the oppos skin and goads them into giving away frees. Can just  see him stirring up flogs like Danger, Sicily & Andrews at the coin toss and laughing at 'em like Shaw did to Spud Frawley all those years ago. Him & Greene at the toss would be interesting. :shh
Not good, we agree again. This is becoming to common

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2023, 07:15:07 AM »

I swear since maybe the 3 man team was selected in 2017 the club has been a lot less transparent on this process and the leadership group. Feel like they used to be more open about who was captain, vice captain, deputy vice, who else was in the leadership team, there was even like a young leadership team from memory.

Totally agree

Actually in 2017 through to 2021 we just had a captain and vice captain's. Didn't have a leadership group per se. Club spoke of an "emerging leadership group" but never told us who they were or who made-up the group.

During that time when Cotch, Jack and Rance were injured they made the most senior blokes captain eg Shedda or Dusty

When they appointed the co-captains they said no vice captains but we had a a leadership group behind them but despite saying they announced it due course we got crickets

And here we are in 2023 and we still have crickets around any leadership group.

It's frustrating and reckon we deserve better.

If nothing else it would make for one helluva topic to discuss ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:29:01 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2023, 10:15:46 PM »
One from left field but I also think broady would make a good captain. In the best form of his career, shows strong leadership on field and handles himself well in interviews and press conferences. He’s the wrong side of 30 so would only be a short term 2-3 year captaincy. I think his incident after the 2017 GF would rule him out in the eyes of the higher ups though.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2023, 10:48:42 PM »
One from left field but I also think broady would make a good captain. In the best form of his career, shows strong leadership on field and handles himself well in interviews and press conferences. He’s the wrong side of 30 so would only be a short term 2-3 year captaincy. I think his incident after the 2017 GF would rule him out in the eyes of the higher ups though.

x2
Go Tigers!

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2023, 01:12:06 AM »
I think his incident after the 2017 GF would rule him out in the eyes of the higher ups though.

They were exceptional higher ups