Author Topic: Richmond vs West Coast @ the MCG --- Round 8, 2023  (Read 2877 times)

Broadsword

Re: Richmond vs West Coast @ the MCG --- Round 8, 2023
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2023, 04:32:51 PM »
We get the win.

I hate to say it, but the season's not over.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2023, 04:41:56 PM »
Forward line still dysfunctional but we got around a dozen goals from our mids today to kick a winning score. Still need to lift our intensity across the board. Not going get such a low-pressure game as we did today (Eagles 140 & us 155 pressure rating) that's for sure against any other team.

Take the win and hope it at least begins the process of rebuilding some confidence for the rest of the season. Reality check is more than likely coming next week :help but Essendon and GWS after that are the games we need to target to make something of this season.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2023, 05:14:31 PM »
There is a very faint pulse…

Vlas and Shai got some form back.

Win against the cats and who knows.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2023, 05:16:29 PM »
It’s gonna be a blood bath next week. I hope the cats supply lube

Offline Tiger-time

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2023, 05:36:19 PM »
Look, a win is a win, but I don’t think beating a team that has 3/4 of its side on the injury list as a sign the season isn’t over. I’ve resigned to the fact that it’s done. Blow it up and start again.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2023, 05:47:43 PM »
Most likely no Danger next week.

And as we have seen we seem to lift against better opposition
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2023, 04:59:39 AM »
Team stats:

Disposals:    377 - 358 ..... ( contested: 153 - 130 ; uncontested: 226 - 224 )
Efficiency%:   71 - 73
Kicks:           217 - 216
Handballs:    160 - 142
Marks:           83 - 97 ..... ( contested: 12 - 10 )
Turnovers:      66 - 76
Tackles:         59 - 55
Clearances:    37 - 45 ..... ( centre: 13 - 13 ; stoppages: 24 - 32 )
Inside 50s:     65 - 43
In50 marks:   15 - 9
In50 tackles:  12 - 7
Hitouts:         51 - 30
Bounces:        10 - 7
One %ers:      60 - 45
Frees:            17 - 16

Individual possies:

Hopper   32
Bolton   31
Taranto  30
Martin   27
Prestia  23
Ross     22
D.Rioli  22
Baker   22
Short   18
Vlastuin 17
Broad   16
Ralphsmith 15
Pickett   15
Miller    13
Balta    13
Riewoldt 12
Graham  12
McIntosh 10
Ryan    8
Clarke  7
Grimes 6
Mansell 4 .... subbed on in 3rd quarter.
Cumberland 2 .... subbed off in 3rd quarter.

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/4849#player-stats

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2023, 09:43:37 AM »
For the 2nd half of the 3rd qtr as well as the final qtr it looked like a Richmond game

We played the way we should.  Yes there was still errors but the attack on the contests, the pressure was there. Those things have been few and far between this season. A couple of small things leading to the 3 Prestia goals and we were away

I get people are frustrated with the constant referencing to "a Richmond game, our brand" etc but for those 45 minutes yesterday that's what we got.

And for me at least it was good to see it

Finally, I am not sure the last time we won a game without Jack R kicking no goals and without Lynch. That was a huge positive for me
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2023, 10:22:02 AM »
Surprised we lost the clearances. Thought Ryan and our midfield were very good.

Perhaps they really gained ascendancy in the second half.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2023, 11:17:26 AM »
I maintain the Cats are no good. They have beat bottom 4 sides and haven't won a game away from GMHBA.

I think next week will be a lot closer than you think. No Danger either. Stop Cameron and we beat the Cats. Simple as that.
Go Tigers!

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2023, 11:25:07 AM »
Any other team and the game would have been well and truly gone at half time.
The skills of players on both sides was diabolical.

All the game told me was the worst team got beat by the second worst team in the comp.In fact i went out at half time and watched the second half later i just could not put up with just how bad we were.
I agree also i thought too many of the kids had a mare no excuse for them but it deflects from how poor the skills of others really was. Same old culprits as well.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2023, 06:54:41 PM »
Any other team and the game would have been well and truly gone at half time.
The skills of players on both sides was diabolical.

All the game told me was the worst team got beat by the second worst team in the comp.In fact i went out at half time and watched the second half later i just could not put up with just how bad we were.
I agree also i thought too many of the kids had a mare no excuse for them but it deflects from how poor the skills of others really was. Same old culprits as well.

do they even want to win eagles or hawks with that dusty petracca pick 1 coming to the spooner.

The first half was an extension to last weeks game. Rubbish.

Samson IMV was a 4 quarter player out of the young kids. There were also some very soft efforts from some others that i saw being at the ground.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2023, 02:01:19 PM »
Richmond d West Coast

The Tigers have their second win of the season, but just what it means will only be known after they face Geelong in an MCG blockbuster on Friday night. Should the Tigers win, or the result be close, this victory over the Eagles will indicate they have regained momentum. But should the Cats win heavily, this victory will be seen in the same light as the Blues’ 108-point thumping of the bottom-placed Eagles in round seven. What will give the Tigers confidence is, as Damien Hardwick noted on Saturday evening, that midfielders Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto, Shai Bolton, Jacob Hopper and Jayden Short, along with Dustin Martin, the latter more of a high half-forward, are reunited. Prestia, returning to the side, was brilliant against the Eagles. His three goals late in the third term all but ended the contest. Bolton was dynamic all afternoon, while Taranto and Hopper have surely ended ridiculous assertions that the Tigers should not have pursued the former GWS pair. The big if for the Tigers is whether they can truly compete while Tom Lynch is sidelined. For the Eagles, it was another tale of woe. Their injury list now numbers 19 players, typifying a season gone wrong. Oscar Allen, however, reinforced why he was missed last season. He booted four of the Eagles’ eight goals, and has been one of the few beacons of light in a season where coach Adam Simpson finds his future a major discussion point. - Jon Pierik

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-s-blues-tiger-test-and-tall-task-for-dons-key-takeouts-from-round-eight-20230506-p5d69z.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2023, 02:02:08 PM »
Richmond (104) - (58) West Coast

Cornes: “Did we learn anything about either of these two teams? Did it say anything about anyone?

“I was impressed by West Coast hanging in there. They were right in it with five minutes to go in the third quarter.

“I guess it says more about Richmond and there are some good Richmond players waking up on Monday morning feeling a little bit better about themselves on the back of that result.

“I speak of Jacob Hopper, who was really good, Dion Prestia kicked three and had a lot of the footy, and Shai Bolton was the big one, returning to form with his performance.

“There’s some good Richmond players that got themselves back into some form and they needed to to do that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/08/winners-and-losers-the-results-from-round-8-and-who-it-says-more-about/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2023, 02:03:44 PM »
AFL Report Card: Round 8

Catherine Healey, Ben Waterworth, Ben Cotton and David Zita
Fox Sports
May 8th, 2023

RICHMOND

It may have taken until the third quarter, but the Tigers eventually broke the Eagles with a dominant five-goal surge – including three-straight goals to Dion Prestia – in the period to march on to their first win since Round 2. It was proper party time in the fourth quarter as Damien Hardwick’s side looked like the Tigers of old, albeit against a severely undermanned Eagles outfit. With it, Richmond crucially remained in touch with the top eight ahead of a key test against Geelong next Friday night at the MCG.

In the votes

Shai Bolton was at his dominant best, booting three goals from 31 disposals in his best performance of 2023. Prestia was the hat-trick hero in the third term to really separate the hame, while off-season recruits Tim Taranto (30 touches, two goals) and Jacob Hopper (32 disposals, one goal) were also instrumental through the midfield.

Room for improvement

Although it mattered not in the end, inaccurate kicking in front of goal was the only real downside on the day for the Tigers, particularly in the first half where Hardwick’s side converted just 5.8. Richmond in the first quarter also allowed too many contested marks and for West Coast to play at its own pace before tightening the screws thereafter.

Grade

A

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-round-8-report-card-highlights-grades-analysis-every-club-reviewed-best-and-worst-video-stats/news-story/a4b2c226ee00a90eb67db06d07ba44fc