Author Topic: List management: Keep, trade or delist?  (Read 36998 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: List management: Keep, trade or delist?
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2023, 09:23:28 AM »
Seeing GWS last night after they traded out Taranto and Hopper for currency which helped turn into Cadman who obviously didn't play.

The idea of trading away your best player 100% makes you worse isn't always the case. 2017 Brett Deledio trade case and point.

With Tasmania coming through, I honestly think trading Lynch for a first rounder is an absolute must do. Kosi coming in and with Ryan another year developed we will be fine.

The other way of looking at it. With his injury record he's likely to play 50-70% of games for the rest of his career. 4 seasons absolutely max that's looking at about 50-60 games. If we are competing for a premiership a Pick 4 is worth more than 50 games from Tom.

Can't not love Tom, but this type of decision can be the difference between getting back to the top in a couple of years or end up like St.Kilda and Essendon and spend a decade with average players on the list.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2023, 09:47:47 AM »

The idea of trading away your best player 100% makes you worse isn't always the case. 2017 Brett Deledio trade case and point.

IMHO Brett Deledio was not our best player in 2016. Certainly in our top 5 but definitely not our best

I've always believed and have posted it. We would not have won the 2017 premiership if Deledio had stayed.

Finally there is a massive difference between Lynch and Deledio and that is Brett couldn't wait to get out of the place. He's said as much this year in his commentary job on the ABC.

Lynch doesn't want to leave and knows he owes the Club

As it stands we need him as our key forward while we develop any young player that comes through the doors. Throw in that he is also a leader which is another area we are struggling in and it is clear no brained for me he stays

But of I see him at the AFLW today I'll make sure I pass on your idea  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2023, 09:49:27 AM »
With lynch I’m thinking once we clean out our fitness staff we might fix lynch’s injury woes. I look at someone like Daniher who was injury ridden at Essendon then has been able to line up most weeks at Brisbane

Offline Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2023, 11:06:03 AM »
With lynch I’m thinking once we clean out our fitness staff we might fix lynch’s injury woes. I look at someone like Daniher who was injury ridden at Essendon then has been able to line up most weeks at Brisbane

Most of Danihers "injuries"  at the bummers were between his ears imo.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2023, 11:31:11 AM »

IMHO Brett Deledio was not our best player in 2016. Certainly in our top 5 but definitely not our best

I've always believed and have posted it. We would not have won the 2017 premiership if Deledio had stayed.

Finally there is a massive difference between Lynch and Deledio and that is Brett couldn't wait to get out of the place. He's said as much this year in his commentary job on the ABC.

Lynch doesn't want to leave and knows he owes the Club

As it stands we need him as our key forward while we develop any young player that comes through the doors. Throw in that he is also a leader which is another area we are struggling in and it is clear no brained for me he stays

But of I see him at the AFLW today I'll make sure I pass on your idea  ;D

Absolutely agree re: Lynch. He had a lot of ability but was clearly never a great leader or contributor to our culture - unlike Grigg who was universally recognised within the club as being a great bloke and friend.

Lids also was injury-riddled with calf problems and GWS got only modest amounts of game time out of him.

Most of Danihers "injuries"  at the bummers were between his ears imo.

He simply didn't want to play for the drug cheats.

Played a few games every year to remind everyone of his ability and then just took his massive paycheck while relaxing.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2023, 04:57:42 PM »
Unless it Jaw dropping deal and even then why trade a the only real key forward at your club

On another note I notice Collingwood have lost one of their 1st picked key forwards and have another 3 to pick from, and we had a wingman as the replacement , terrible planning by us

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2023, 05:59:12 PM »
Unless it Jaw dropping deal and even then why trade a the only real key forward at your club

On another note I notice Collingwood have lost one of their 1st picked key forwards and have another 3 to pick from, and we had a wingman as the replacement , terrible planning by us

Because we are looking at potentially years in the wilderness.

He's ageing but has currency for clubs in contention.

We need to improve our draft hand.

Having him win us games when we aren't contending will hurt our draft hand.

Online Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2023, 06:25:09 PM »
I’m of the opinion that team building is not exclusively about the draft . It’s a combination of many things , yes drafting but just as important recruiting, coaching , and the management and admin support behind those coaches . As on the playing field it’s a team effort by all parts of the club

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »
Clubs who  sell off their senior players lose leadership and mentors , we don’t have a lot and less with Cotch and Jacks retirements
Better option to trade up than Lynch
If you know anyone within the club they would be having  a chuckle at the suggestion of trading Lynch

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »

Think the key words are "potentially years". I disagree with that. I think that our list isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. Yes there are gaps but there is also a lot of unknowns. We have kids we haven't seen much of, so we don't know how good or possibly not they are.

Also think people need to cool their collective jets a bit, we don't know what we've got planned for trade week. Who's up for trade etc.... from all reports this year's draft pool isn't the strongest but next year's is...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2023, 09:58:34 PM »
I’ve always been stubborn and vocal about creating a culture and a reputation for treating your legends well. If lynch wants to potentially pinch one more flag sure he has our blessing. But I wouldn’t off load him given how instrumental he’s been to 2019/20 flags. Same applies for dusty and prestia

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2023, 12:50:46 PM »
Clubs who  sell off their senior players lose leadership and mentors , we don’t have a lot and less with Cotch and Jacks retirements
Better option to trade up than Lynch
If you know anyone within the club they would be having  a chuckle at the suggestion of trading Lynch

100% correct. Get rid of all the experience too quick and you lose your ability to evolve.
People need to seriously think about it. Tom Lynch is the only capable EXPERIENCED kpf we have. He is the one who will now have to protect teach and inspire any future young kpf we manage to get.

Looks like we will be getting Koschitzke are we seriously going to ask him to lead our fwd line. Nope we are going to make it a hell of alot easier for him to develop  play well and learn the craft with Lynch there, that goes for any other young tall fwd we play.
People mention Ryan coming thru and i have to ask seriously. He is a ruckman and hopefully over the next 2 or 3 seasons he can develop into  our #1 ruck.

Bauer shows signs as a tall fwd but he could well end up doing the Grimes role when he retires. I still think Bauer a third tall rather than a kpp no matter what end of the ground he plays.

When you look at it objectively even with Koschitzke the cupboard while not bare is is wide open to conjecture.

If we are to get rid of older players and we do need to make no mistake we do it with the likes of 32 year old Pickett who lets face if we play him in his current roles he will be keeping and stopping kids that are ready from getting games.

Everyone talks about evolving and to a lesser degree succession planning but to me succession planning is the right way to evolve.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2023, 12:54:32 PM »

Okay lets say we a deal for a top 5 pick that pick may be ready to go straight away if its a mid but not if its a kpp. any kid we take will most likely take 3  or so yers to really hit their straps.
Wilderness yes but at some point we have to accept we will spend time near the bottom. How well we do while there will determine how long it takes to get back into contention.

Online RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2023, 06:51:09 PM »
Claw I just wonder what you think of this:-

We trade in Koschitzke for maybe Ralphsmith.
We trade out Soldo and Graham for Marshall and Lord. 

I think Ralphsmith would add a bit of midfield pace that the Hawks seem to lack atm.
While Soldo is probably worth less than Marshall, I would say Graham is more valuable than Lord.

While Soldo is 27, he was a late starter and is only in his 5th year of seniors with a premiership in 2019. I actually think Soldo is a better ruck than Nank judging on this year but we cant trade out our captain and Ivan and Port seem interested in each other.

While Graham is 25, he has two premierships (2017, 20) and was 2nd in our 2021 B&F. This year was very poor from Jack but going back to SA might well ignite him to get fitter. I think he would, at his best, add a bit of hardness to Port's midfield replacing Boak.

The whole point of trades is to give up what you have in abundance to get what you lack.
We have probably too many rucks and small mids but we lack tall forwards.

Win - win for both clubs I think.
The main problem with this is I doubt Port would trade out TWO key forwards.

FooffooValve

« Reply #164 on: September 25, 2023, 07:18:47 PM »

We trade out Soldo and Graham for Marshall and Lord. 

I actually think Soldo is a better ruck than Nank judging on this year but we cant trade out our captain and Ivan and Port seem interested in each other.

Say what?  :rollin