Author Topic: Do you consider Damien Hardwick a great coach  (Read 8192 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Do you consider Damien Hardwick a great coach
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2022, 03:44:52 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2023, 06:07:20 PM »
Finals record of all the current coaches. Dimma with the equal best win percentage (from more games).

________________Matches __Wins __Losses __Draws __Win% __Highest Finish
Damien Hardwick16106062.5Premiership x3
Simon Goodwin853062.5Premiership
Alastair Clarkson261610061.5Premiership x4
Adam Simpson1275058.3Premiership
Luke Beveridge1275058.3Premiership
John Longmire241212050.0Premiership
Ken Hinkley1055050.0Preliminary Final
Brad Scott844050.0Preliminary Final
Justin Longmuir211050.0Semi Final
Michael Voss211050.0Semi Final
Chris Scott281315046.4Premiership x2
Ross Lyon20910145.0Runners Up
Chris Fagan936033.3Preliminary Final
Craig McRae312033.3Preliminary Final

Non-Finalists
Stuart Dew        2018 -
Adam Kingsley   2023 - 
Sam Mitchell      2022 -
Matthew Nicks   2020 -

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2023, 11:05:33 AM »
Lol at Fagan and Lions with their pre-emptive 'Charlie gets held a lot so hopefully gets a few frees in front of goal tonight's

Suck attitude for a suck club.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2023, 08:34:10 PM »
Scott losing 15 finals is shocking lol
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2023, 06:46:32 PM »
BUCKLEY’S 2023 CATEGORIES FOR ALL 18 COACHES

SEN
7 March 2023

Damien Hardwick

14th season, contracted until the end of 2024

“Richmond fascinate me, Damien Hardwick has been there and done that, he’s driven to go again,” Buckley said.

“I think he’s a connection coach who builds commitment to team by celebrating the individuals in it, that’s been the Richmond way through their success of the last six years.

“No one player is ever more important than the team … with a few more pieces to play with it’ll be fascinating.

“Damien Hardwick is going to do what he’s always done and they’re going to do it on the same cultural piece and with a very similar game plan but just double down on it.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/07/mining-for-gold-sink-or-swim-buckleys-2023-categories-for-all-18-coaches/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2023, 09:25:07 PM »
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2023, 09:04:08 PM »
I consider the Balme / Hardwick a great combination
Balme balanced out a few when he can home

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
WHY HARDWICK WILL SURPASS CLARKSON’S LEGACY WITH A PREMIERSHIP IN 2023

By Lachlan Geleit
SEN
10 March 2023

David King believes Damien Hardwick has the chance this season to become perhaps the best coach of the modern era.

From the last 50 years of VFL/AFL history, King has current North Melbourne and former Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson as the best to do the job having won four flags with the Hawks from 2008 to 2015.

Currently sitting on three premierships with Richmond, King believes that if Hardwick wins a fourth in 2023, he can go past Clarkson as the “best coach we’ve seen since Norm Smith”.

If Hardwick does win another flag, he’ll join the likes of Allan Jeans, Tom Hafey, David Parkin, Ron Barassi, Leigh Matthews, Dick Reynolds and Clarkson with four to their name.

“I’ve done some research on this, I believe if Damien Hardwick wins the premiership in 2023, he’ll overtake Alastair Clarkson as the best AFL coach we’ve seen since Norm Smith,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“That’s in the last 50 years, he would go to four flags alongside Alastair Clarkson, but I think he’s done it with less.

“I’ve done the research, there’s been less top 10 picks, less top 20 picks.

“This is no slight on Alastair at all, and it shouldn’t be received that way, because we’re talking about the pointy end of the coaching fraternity, the top guns.”

Placing their resumes next to each other, King first explained how he felt Hawthorn became so dominant with master coach Clarkson at the helm.

“Clarko coached for 17 years, five Grand Finals, four flags, it was done through an era where there were challenges with two new franchises coming in, compromised drafts, we had free agency – which they came in and scooped the pool on,” King explained.

“They forced clubs to trade ahead of time, players like (Jack) Gunston where they said, ‘He’ll walk, he’ll come to us, better get a trade done’, there was Brian Lake and a whole host of players.

“They cashed in their draft selections through that period and got known products such as Brian Lake, (Ben) McEvoy, David Hale – those sorts of players.

“They were very smart, and the tactical nous of Clarkson added to that period, and it realised itself with four premierships.”

While it’s a big ‘if’, whether Hardwick can win another premiership in 2023, King believes that if he does he’ll surpass Clarkson’s resume due to achieving the same success with what he perceives as less talent.

“(Hardwick) has spent 13 years at Richmond, three Grand Finals, three flags, he’s done it with less,” King said.

“Yes, they have traded towards the end with (Dion) Prestia and obviously with the free agency of Tom Lynch, they’ve had a big impact at the right time.

“But I believe if Hardwick was to win it this year and go to four flags, you could mount a case he goes past Clarkson because he’s done it with less talent.”

After bowing out in an elimination final last season, Richmond under Hardwick will be hoping to improve and push for their first premiership since 2020 this year.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/10/why-hardwick-will-surpass-clarksons-legacy-with-a-premiership-in-2023/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2023, 02:39:40 PM »
Richmond’s out-of-the-box performance was a product of Hardwick’s demeanour

Nathan Buckley
SEN
15 May 2023

“The third one today I want to talk about Richmond.

“I want to talk about Damien Hardwick and what a great result that was for Richmond, but just even Hardwick's demeanour over the last five weeks, five losses, but I think the way he carries himself and his expectations of that group give gave them the capacity to be able to have that performance in that win against Geelong.

“In the last five weeks, he's been combative, he's been humorous at times and he's been able to maintain his humour, he's maintained his energy.

“He's had questions asked about his long-term tenure, about his commitment to the club, about whether he needs to look elsewhere.

“This result is only one week, but I think that it's a product of the coach's demeanour, his attitude, his combativeness, I just think that he's been amazing.

“In a situation where there's plenty of different ways you can go about communicating your message for the club and for the team or handle the questions that come from the media … I just think that he's been first class there.

“Their back seven, Jayden Short coming back in the side has definitely helped Daniel Rioli.

“They've got some real toughness there with (Liam) Baker, (Nick) Vlaustin and (Dylan) Grimes … they're really solid the back seven.

“They can't win the flag this year, but they could (make the eight).

“Last week I said, you know it's not going to be their year, and that's from making finals, but they could definitely.

“We wouldn't have thought they were going to win a game against Geelong and you talk about inequities in draw and whatever Richmond will be in the middle six in that area.

“So, they'll probably get some advantage from that.

“They lost the contested ball, they lost inside 50s, Broad on Cameron was fantastic, Dusty played one of his better games.

“Trent Cotchin kicked three goals and got in the majors, that’s taken him for four for the season.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/14/the-buck-stops-here-adelaides-exciting-mix-unheralded-on-ballers-and-coach/