Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 96218 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2023, 02:53:52 PM »
‘Been down that path’: Tigers’ contender’s honest admission on whether he’d want the top job

Fox Sports
July 8th, 2023

Collingwood assistant coach Justin Leppitsch has seemingly ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Richmond job with a brutally honest take on where he wants his future to go.

Leppitsch joined the Magpies in September 2021 to work under coach Craig McRae, after he was sacked as Brisbane head coach in at the end of 2016 before spending five seasons as an assistant at Richmond.

Speaking on 3AW on Friday, Leppitsch said he’d rather be a second in charge on a “good journey” than be the front man at a struggling club – like he was at the Lions.

“I think I’m in a great position as far as experience in my coaching journey – there’s no doubt about that,” he said.

“I’m 18 years in, I think I’ve experienced as many heartaches and seen the good and bad in footy.

“But whether you want to be a senior coach – that’s such a different thing nowadays.

“I’ve been down that path – I’m actually really happy supporting Craig and supporting this team and this journey.

“One thing I’ve learnt is I’d rather be part of or I guess a background part in a good journey, than the front man of one that’s going to struggle for years.

“I think that would be my preference.”

Leppitsch, a three-time Brisbane premiership star, endured a tough time as Lions coach winning just 14 of his 66 games at the helm.

He led the Lions to a 15th finish in his debut season as coach before back-to-back second-last spots saw the former defender handed his marching orders.

“It was a hard situation back then in terms of just where the club was – he would have had to be a genius coach to get much out of the squad,” 3AW’s Leigh Matthews added.

But while Matthew Lloyd said it was “interesting” to hear Leppitsch talk about rather being “number two in an environment like this than somewhere else”, there was still scope for him to eye off the Richmond job – if the right support was put in place.

“I haven’t heard that too often – AFL coaches I know a very different sport, but similar situation to Formula One drivers. There’s only a certain amount of seats and everyone wants them,” journalist Sam McClure added to the debate.

“Whether it’s with the best team or it’s with the worst team, you want to get in and show people that you can be the best.”

Fox Footy commentator Anthony Hudson agreed Leppitsch’s comments didn’t fully rule him out of the running at Richmond.

“I read into that that if the team is right, it could be Richmond,” he said.

“If you thought you were going to have a team that could have success..”

Leppitsch is reportedly one of a number of contenders in the race to replace Damien Hardwick, including current club caretaker coach Andrew McQualter and the likes of Josh Carr, Shaun Grigg and Hayden Skipworth.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/been-down-that-path-tigers-contenders-honest-admission-on-whether-hed-want-the-top-job/news-story/698653d1df9ee53e6a70c41dd45fcbf9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2023, 02:52:27 PM »
Gale has been direct in saying he hopes Hardwick coaches somewhere else. They see the amicable departure as a win-win and have set about establishing the criteria for a new coach. They will soon finalise a panel consisting of internal and external experts to select their next coach and attack the process with an open mind.

Their caretaker coach Andrew McQualter is doing a good job and will put his hat in the ring, but he will have to go through the full process and compete with every other candidate. It appears to be a dream job for a first-time senior coach, but the market will be wide.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/if-change-is-dew-hardwick-might-be-first-but-not-only-call-the-suns-make-20230706-p5dmcs.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2023, 10:11:42 PM »
Caro on Footy Classified tonight:

* Richmond is on the verge of announcing the external person to go on the coach selection panel. Benny Gale is running the process overseen by O'Rourke.

* The Club will go for an untried coach.

* Livingstone and Hartley are both contracted and the Club is keen for both of them to stay.

* Not ruling McQualter out of the job. He's done well so far as interim coach.

* The Club will look at Leppitsch but his past when senior coach at Brisbane will go against him.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2023, 10:20:51 PM »
Caro on Footy Classified tonight:

* Richmond is on the verge of announcing the external person to go on the coach selection panel. Benny Gale is running the process overseen by O'Rourke.

* The Club will go for an untried coach.

* Livingstone and Hartley are both contracted and the Club is keen for both of them to stay.

* Not ruling McQualter out of the job. He's done well so far as interim coach.

* The Club will look at Leppitsch but his past when senior coach at Brisbane will go against him.

Here's the clip:

"To me his football brain is as good as anybody's in the country."

Lloydy's praise for Justin Leppitsch, as Caro gives us an update on Richmond's search to replace Damien Hardwick.

WATCH HERE: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1678375811793973250

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2023, 10:27:27 PM »
But I was told the players had already chosen Mini and that was that. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

FooffooValve

« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2023, 11:03:38 PM »
Personally I think we should be promoting from within, and consider Jason Castagna as Senior Coach, with Luke Meehan and Jack Graham as his assistants.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2023, 12:19:18 AM »
Personally I think we should be promoting from within, and consider Jason Castagna as Senior Coach, with Luke Meehan and Jack Graham as his assistants.
  :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2023, 01:02:02 PM »
Malthouse: Has the next Paul Roos emerged?

Mick Malthouse
HeraldSun
July 15, 2023

In Richmond’s case, one has the feeling that Damien Hardwick could see that the dynasty was coming to an end and it got too much for him. He has since regained his appetite and wants to be back in the hot seat, at a different club.

Richmond, as a club, operates better than most, and would have done its homework before appointing Andrew McQualter as interim coach ahead of assistants and former senior coaches, Ben Rutten and David Teague, who could have been easy options.

McQualter is in his 10th season at the Tigers so he knows the club, the game style, and the players. Sometimes familiarity can breed contempt, but I wouldn’t think so in this case. Not judging by the response from the team so far. Four wins, two losses, and a real chance of winning five or more games in the rest of the season.

He got the best out of himself as a player at St Kilda and Gold Coast, and he knows the Tiger psyche.

Given the history of Richmond under Brendon Gale, where he appointed Hardwick in 2010 off his experience as an assistant coach, and stuck by him when the Tigers finished 15th, 12th, and 12th in his first three seasons, this is a deliberate attempt to see how McQualter handles the situation. And that he is a genuine chance of holding on to the job.

Gale is fair minded, non-fussed, and doesn’t need to smell the liniment because he’s been a footballer, he knows the drill, he’s seen Richmond through the ups and downs as a player and administrator.

The next seven weeks could well define how McQualter is thought of by the playing group, how he handles wins and losses, deals with injuries and suspensions, and how he brings through the next group of players, because the Tigers are going through a transitional period, no question.

The team that Hardwick left will not stay together for much longer. As great as it has been, it’s ageing. Robbie Tarrant, 34, has just announced his retirement. Trent Cotchin (33), Dylan Grimes (32), Tom Lynch (31), Dustin Martin (32), Marlion Pickett (31), Dion Prestia (31) and Jack Riewoldt (35) can’t play forever.

So, do the Tigers give McQualter a run at it, someone familiar with the team’s game patterns and the strengths of young players coming through? Or do they scout the field for who’s available? We may have another Paul Roos here.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-mick-malthouse-and-stuart-dews-sacking-the-curious-case-of-the-interim-coach/news-story/9e33c5ebdb6f78badd4383da20360e71

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2023, 09:06:52 PM »
Sad to read and catch up on Leppas stance. Those comments for me rule him out entirely. They are actually extremely soft IMO. Completely understandable but not from someone I'd be head hunting. If you'd rather be in a cruisey gig that a challenging and more rewarding one then we can't be wanting that.

I want someone who would give their left leg for this club. I actually think it will be mini on a 2 year deal. In that time the club can rejig the list and then launch from there with a new coach or extend mini
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2023, 12:17:14 AM »
Sad to read and catch up on Leppas stance. Those comments for me rule him out entirely. They are actually extremely soft IMO. Completely understandable but not from someone I'd be head hunting. If you'd rather be in a cruisey gig that a challenging and more rewarding one then we can't be wanting that.

I want someone who would give their left leg for this club. I actually think it will be mini on a 2 year deal. In that time the club can rejig the list and then launch from there with a new coach or extend mini
Leppa is a great assistant coach. And it ends there

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
I think that is right.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2023, 10:51:42 AM »
You think whatever the club tells you to think. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2023, 07:03:35 PM »
 :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2023, 07:39:08 PM »
MJ hoping it's not Mini. :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: July 16, 2023, 08:15:19 PM »
I remember watching McRae talk about going back to basics when he got to Collingwood and focus on basic skills. That’s what we need. All year our skills have been poohouse.