Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 96260 times)

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2023, 11:15:40 AM »
Yep, there's no doubt that our next coach is important & should look something like what is outlined in that list. 
But there's something equally important that the RFC has to do over the next month or so - they have to retain either Jack Reiwoldt or Trent Cotchin at the club in an off field role.  Both, if possible, Dusty can join them too if he wishes. 
Why?  Because those two/three are our playing culture.  They are our living culture & we need to make sure that we keep this culture at the club or it just wont matter who we appoint as coach, or president, or CEO or even boot studder.       :gotigers
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2023, 11:29:45 AM »
Agree with you JP. However I also think Messers Gale and Balme are of equal if not more importance to that culture continuing and changing if need be

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #407 on: August 15, 2023, 12:18:00 PM »
I do wonder what Newman is like as a coach. Had great success at vfl level ( like mcrae ) worked under sam mitchell in recent times who i think is earning great respect across the league. Also hawthorn think they are developing a game style for the future, not for the now, which newman has probably had a bit to do with. Interesting times and i think Mini could very well be the best option available but its hard to know how much to read into this season. No doubt he wouldnt have changed anything major mid season so I'd love to know how he would plan to progress the club going forward.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #408 on: August 15, 2023, 02:18:17 PM »
Really like Mini, but there is something that just sits with me that we need a totally fresh voice.

I have been convinced the Mini would get the job, dont think the last two games will have much impact on the overall decision. We have had such a terrible record there over recent years so its somewhat consistent.

Newman and possibly if Chaplin have the insight and some connection to being a Richmond man, one thing Dimma was certain of when he spoke a month or so ago was that it would be an internal appointment.

Just really keep thinking we need some change of mindset to a degree and our gameplan needs to evolve with the times.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #409 on: August 15, 2023, 02:36:39 PM »
Newman as coach with Grigg & Chaplin as assistants.
Bounce Teague & Rutten, new direction. 
Mini to coach the VFL team.  Needs to coach his own team.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #410 on: August 15, 2023, 02:41:04 PM »
If the last 2 weeks hasn't been a eye opener for club and fans nothing will be. We aren't even doing the basics in footy and that's effort and intensity totally switched off. Add to that poor team selection and questionable tactics. Mini is not the solution fullstop.

As for Newman my concern is he was part of our poor culture and losing one. Is he going to make the tuff calls and allowed to be his own coach that worries me.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #411 on: August 15, 2023, 06:36:28 PM »
FORMER TIGERS CAPTAIN, HAWKS ASSISTANT ENDORSED FOR TOP RICHMOND JOB BY OLD COACH

Andrew Slevison
SEN
15 August 2023

Terry Wallace has given a glowing endorsement of Chris Newman as Richmond’s next senior coach.

The former Tigers captain is one of several candidates the club is believed to be looking at as they continue the search for Damien Hardwick’s successor.

Newman is currently an assistant under Sam Mitchell at Hawthorn having overseen success with the Box Hill Hawks by winning the 2018 VFL premiership.

Wallace coached Newman at the Tigers between 2005 and 2009, installing him as captain in his final year as coach.

He is the type of person that Richmond may be looking at, according to ‘Plough’.

“It seems pretty clear that they’re wanting to go for a first-time (coach) to develop and grow with the group,” Wallace said on SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“As ‘Dimma’ (Hardwick) did the last time around. All those boys were 19-20 at the most when Dimma arrived so he could grow with them.

“I think that’s exactly what they’re looking for again. One era is over and the other is about to start.

“If it is that way, I’m a little bit biased because I ended up making Chris Newman captain when I was at the club.

“I’d love to see Chris get his opportunity. He’s a fantastic footy person and I’d love to see him get his chance.

“I think it looks like it will go down that way from everything that we hear.

“Daniel Giansiracusa is another one that I drafted in the system with the Bulldogs so I’d love to see him get an opportunity as well.

“But that’s in their (Richmond’s) court. We’ll all sit back and wait and see how it plays out.”

Wallace outlined some of the key Newman attributes that will help him make the transition from Hawks assistant to a senior role elsewhere.

He referenced the fact that retiring Richmond star Jack Riewoldt spoke of Newman’s 250-game milestone as one of the highlights of his career.

“He’s a strong personality, I still think there’s a bit of that needed,” he added.

“You need to have empathy with the players. I coached with Craig McRae so I’ve seen his journey and how fantastic he’s been. He is that empathetic type person.

“On the same side I think Chris is a man’s man, he’s done the hard yards, he’s seen good times as well. I think he’s a really balanced individual from that point of view.

“I like that in somebody who is going to be a leader. He was the obvious leader. In Jack’s press conference he marked out his greatest moment, apart from winning the premierships, was winning in Chris’ milestone game.

“That’s how much of an impact he had on Jack as a leader. I see him as a leader of men. I think the opportunity will come, whether it’s this time around or not, who knows?”

Newman is one of several candidates for the Richmond job which is currently held by interim coach Andrew McQualter.

Other names on the list include Fremantle assistant Jaymie Graham, Melbourne assistant (and former Tigers defender) Troy Chaplin, his fellow Demons coach Adem Yze, Essendon assistant Daniel Giansiracusa and Collingwood’s Hayden Skipworth.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/08/15/former-tigers-captain-hawks-assistant-endorsed-for-top-richmond-job-by-old/

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #412 on: August 15, 2023, 08:29:49 PM »
Real question is when can it be Kane Lambert

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2023, 08:34:44 PM »

Next VFL coach. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: August 15, 2023, 09:27:28 PM »
Discount Grigg.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #415 on: August 15, 2023, 09:51:34 PM »

Next VFL coach. :shh

We can only hope
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2023, 03:29:14 PM »
Inside Tigers race that could shape next dynasty as every contender broken down

David Zita
Fox Sports
August 16th, 2023

Richmond’s coaching search has been narrowed down to a shortlist, with a decision on Damien Hardwick’s successor to be made before the season is out.

Caretaker coach Andrew McQualter is an obvious contender given his interim coaching stint that is still ongoing, with his journey having become well-known over the last three months as he has made his play at the top job.

Other contenders’ journeys are less public to this point, but their names will be firmly in the mix as they sit down for follow-up interviews in the coming days.

Chris Newman is among those to be short-listed and his name would be well known to Richmond faithful, given his 268-game playing career at the club that ended at the close of 2015.

His move to Hawthorn was virtually instant, joining the club near the close of October as a development coach.

Newman’s impact was immediate at Waverley, with some observing early on he had all the attributes of a senior coach in waiting.

Like other candidates on the shortlist, Newman’s strength has been in relationship-building and team bonding.

Those close to Newman have noted his ability to open up on his own vulnerabilities and empower players to do similar has helped build stronger bonds between teammates at the Hawks.

That process would ring true at Tigerland, given a similar process led to the club’s premiership dynasty.

Candidates have been asked to have a proven track record and Newman’s stint at the helm of Box Hill could help him make a strong case.

Box Hill finished 10th in 2016, but his first season at the helm resulted in a second-place finish and preliminary final berth, with Newman named VFL Coach of the Year.

The following season saw Newman coach the side to a VFL premiership, becoming the first-ever side in the league to win a flag from outside the top four.

His time as an assistant coach has seen him play a significant part in the careers of some emerging players, Mitch Lewis, Dylan Moore and Changkuoth Jiath to name a few.

Newman can strike a fine balance between being direct as a line coach but also employing more delicate approaches where necessary.

He has also worked under Alastair Clarkson and now Sam Mitchell, two considerably talented coaches, with Mitchell rapidly building a resumé of his own.

Working alongside those with an ingrained understanding of the game is also applicable to Hayden Skipworth - another name in the mix.

The Collingwood assistant forms part of a brain trust that has worked wonders for the Pies, led by Craig McRae and made up of the likes of Justin Leppitsch and Brendan Bolton.

Skipworth played 55 senior games for Adelaide and Essendon before retiring in 2009, but has forged an even more impressive career as a coach, having led Essendon’s VFL side during his tenure at the Bombers.

He moved across to Collingwood in 2020, with former coach Nathan Buckley and football boss Geoff Walsh rating him highly.

Walsh recalled Skipworth’s promise when speaking to foxfooty.com.au this week.

“He straightaway impressed me as someone with a bit of integrity and prepared to do the hard yards, which he has,” Walsh said.

“He had a number of roles with us at Collingwood.

“He’s very good with the players. A lot of the assistant coaches are, that’s their bread and butter, they form relationships. But he was very good at forming relationships.”

Skipworth’s time with Buckley has been followed up by his tenure with McRae, who like Mitchell at Hawthorn has rapidly become one of the prime faces of modern coaching.

Like many at the AIA Centre, Skipworth has embraced a growth mindset, completing a renowned Harvard leadership course.

Those who have dealt with Skipworth have noted his interpersonal skills and empathy.

Walsh said that was balanced with an ability to have input on game day.

“The thing I was quite impressed with, he was always willing in the box - and I always judge that, how willing are they to speak up in the box, are they just yes men - he had that style where he’d be respectful but not frightened to offer his own opinion,” Walsh said.

“He was confident in his own ability but not in a disrespectful way.

“He’s an intelligent person. They’re well aware they’ve got to bring their own vulnerability to show to their playing group as much as helping those who are vulnerable themselves. I think he falls into that category.”

Like McQualter, Steven King has the benefit of having coached an AFL side in some fashion, with King’s stint at the helm of Gold Coast to have reached seven games by the time the season is over.

Figures at the Suns have noted King’s tireless work ethic and willingness to be flexible and adaptable with his approach to his time in the job.

His understanding of the game is sound, with his stoppage game a particular strength, which could benefit a side in Richmond that has in the past struggled to thrive in that area despite its on-field success.

King has improved in his short time at the helm and has shown an ability to use motivational tools where needed, taking like a duck to water to the added responsibility.

There are then the more commonly known names of Daniel Giansiracusa and Ash Hansen, who have built impressive resumés in their own right.

Giansiracusa and Hansen’s coaching journeys have been somewhat intertwined.

Both worked alongside each other as coaches at the Dogs and had stints at the helm of the VFL side, with Hansen coaching the side to the VFL premiership in 2016 as Luke Beveridge did the same for the AFL side.

Another similarity is both having completed the Level Four coaching program.

Both have significant coaching experience and both have been in the mix for senior coaching vacancies in the past.

Giansiracusa has coached across all lines and was voted the AFL Coaches Association’s assistant coach of the year in 2020, while Hansen currently heads Carlton’s forwards and offence and has a keen understanding of the game.

Western Bulldogs games-record holder Brad Johnson said on Fox Footy last week he could easily see his former teammate becoming a senior coach.

“He’s been through the process a couple of times just for experience more than anything, just to understand how it all works,” he said.

“He’s coached his own team, he’s ready to go.

“Out of all these guys here, he stacks up really highly among those. He would be a great appointment and one that would be able to take a club forward.

“He’s got that serious approach, no question, but he can also bring the group in and have a bit of fun. The great mix that Gia would bring would be outstanding for any footy club.”

The pathway has been narrowed significantly after the first round of applications have been whittled down, but there are still selection headaches of sorts for the Richmond panel to work through over the next few weeks, extending even beyond the names above.

Its ultimate decision will shape the club for years to come, as Hardwick’s appointment did at the close of 2009.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-next-richmond-coach-shortlist-contenders-for-job-damien-hardwick-replacement-andrew-mcqualter-latest/news-story/f34fcd9f3a7451793cbf45a5557b3200

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: August 17, 2023, 12:59:20 PM »
I think Adam Simpson would be a good fit.
I am less concerned with his recent win/loss as their list management, strength and conditioning make ours look world class.

I am a bit worried at his match day - how does a side push Bombers to a goal and then get smashed at home in a Derby?

Gut says that noone can fix that right now.

He is measured, been to the top (and back which all coaches state is compulsory to learn the most) and frankly a club like the Tigers would be a godsend for him after the last 3 years.

It won’t happen - I know this / but we should look past the superficial analysis of his past 3 seasons and consider the broader club dynamics while also pointing to his first 7 years where he had a great impact on the playing group.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #418 on: August 17, 2023, 01:20:01 PM »
Re Adam Simpson not longer after he took overt they beat us at the MCG by 20 points on a Friday night (think they called it a web defensive system) and I remember thinking this game plan was fantastic.
We basically just couldn't score ot get it past half forward.
Don't think we would even look at this but you never know.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #419 on: August 17, 2023, 04:13:14 PM »
From RSN:

Senior Richmond advisor Neil Balme has provided the latest into the club's search for a new head coach.

While murmurs have begun to swirl as to who Richmond is looking toward, Balme has noted the club doesn't listen to external suggestions, but is keeping its finger on the pulse.

"You've got to have that connection with people to find out what they think of people that you might consider," Balme told RSN on Thursday morning.

"Andrew (McQualter) is telling a good story for himself. He's had a lovely connection with the players. The last couple of weeks we might not be seeing the results we would've liked, but that's not all down to him.

"It's a great opportunity for a club to go into (the process), appoint a new coach and appoint someone who is going to show us the way.

"We will certainly consider who else is available and make the decision that's best for the club."

Balme hasn't ruled out the club's chances of hiring an experienced mentor as their next senior coach, with the Tigers to appoint the candidate who can buy into the club's direction and cultural while knowing the game.

"There's an argument for both (experience and a fresh voice), depending on where you are," Balme said.

"This club is in a pretty strong position culturally, I don't think it would matter one way or the other. As long as they buy in to what you are doing. They've got to know the game and people.

"Whether they're an experienced coach or not probably doesn't matter nowadays. Once, the senior needed to know everything about footy. Now they've got four to five assistant coaches who do the job together. It's about managing their intellect as well.

"We'll put all that down and sort out what type of person we need and what sort of job they need to do."

https://www.zerohanger.com/another-coaching-candidate-out-of-richmond-race-as-tigers-advisor-provides-latest-141288/