Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 95230 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #90 on: May 28, 2023, 05:08:00 PM »
Items at the top of the list for whoever the new coach is:

1. Forward line, structure and entries. Bombing it aimlessly high and long is not a gameplan. Enough said!

2. Defensive structure at stoppages. Hello having a sweeper! Summed up today by Drew's goal from a ball-up 10m out that rolled through :facepalm.

3. Tackling technique. The number of times we mistackle by not pinning the arm or going too high  :help.

4. Goalkicking technique and routine. Do our players each have one? Both set shots and snaps (where we can't make the distance from 30 out  :huh). We're sadly on par with Carlton's inept level  :help :thumbsdown.

You have it all worked out and should put your hand up MT

Sounds simple

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2023, 05:10:35 PM »
Won't be McQualter.  Had a chance to stamp himself on selection and game plan.  Did neither.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »
Former Richmond duo flagged as “left-field candidates” for senior coaching role

Could a familiar face, or two, be on the Tigers’ radar?

Mitch Keating
zerohanger.com
MAY 29, 2023

A pair of former Tigers players have been flagged as "left-field candidates" for the Richmond coaching job ahead of an extensive process to find Damien Hardwick's successor.

2017 premiership player Shaun Grigg and former Richmond defender Troy Chaplin are both seen as potential options that could emerge in the coaching race after building impressive post-career assistant coaching stints with Geelong and Melbourne respectively.

Grigg has worked closely under Cats coach Chris Scott since landing at Kardinia Park ahead of the 2020 season, joining as a development coach months after call-time on his playing career after 214 games with Carlton and Richmond.

Chaplin, currently Melbourne's backline coach, moved to the Demons after calling time on his career with Port Adelaide and Richmond, playing 75 games for the latter.

The 37-year-old joined the Demons as their offensive coordinator, and like Grigg played a part in his club's recent premiership success, with the Cats and Demons claiming the past two AFL premierships.

AFL reporter has Damian Barrett noted both Grigg and Chaplin as "left-field" options for the vacant role at Punt Road, likely contending against caretaker coach Andrew McQualter.

"We've got a few candidates coming from left field," Barrett told The Sunday Footy Show.

"Andrew McQualter will be the interim coach and Ross Lyon is endorsing his credentials from way back. Wanted him to join him at the St Kilda Football Club this year.

"But there's going to be a few left-field candidates. Shaun Grigg has been someone who's been spoken about quite highly now for some time with his role at the Geelong footy club.

"Troy Chaplin too, a key off-field player with what Melbourne did in their premiership success in 2021 and still there, also just one of those left-field candidates that might emerge as the weeks unfold."

The Tigers have stated they will be on the hunt for the "next Damien Hardwick" following his shock resignation, with McQualter set to lead the club for the remainder of the season in what will be a valuable dress rehearsal for the highly-rated assistant.

Richmond is set to consider untried assistant coaches to fill the role, with Chaplin's Melbourne colleague Adem Yze, former Richmond assistant Blake Caracella and West Coast's Jaymie Graham among those potentially on the club's radar.

https://www.zerohanger.com/former-richmond-duo-flagged-as-left-field-candidates-for-senior-coaching-role-137949/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2023, 12:57:33 PM »
Leppitsch not ruling out Richmond coaching job

Oliver Caffrey
AAP
May 31, 2023 12:37PM

Justin Leppitsch insists he is committed to Collingwood but would not rule out an approach from Richmond to be Damien Hardwick's successor.

The former Brisbane Lions coach instantly became a favourite to head back to Punt Rd after Hardwick's shock decision last week to leave the Tigers after almost 14 seasons in charge.

Leppitsch had two successful stints working as an assistant at Richmond under Hardwick, including during the Tigers' three premierships in 2017, 2019 and 2020.

The 47-year-old has been an integral part of Collingwood's coaching staff during the Magpies' extraordinary surge up the ladder under Craig McRae.

"I guess I'm long enough now from my last appointment (at Brisbane) that I'm not burnt by the experience," Leppitsch said on Wednesday.

"But I think these things, it's almost like a marriage, you've got to commit together for a long period of time.

"It's such a pie in the sky thing for me at the moment.

"I'm really committed to this club (Collingwood) and where it's going and I've just started this journey, so for me, it's not even on the radar."

Leppitsch said he was "not ready" to answer if he would consider an approach from Richmond.

"The difference is I know everyone at Richmond," he said.

"(Richmond football performance manager) Tim Livingstone I speak to all the time because we do Powerball every Thursday night.

"It's not like I need to go through an interview process.

"They might decide they want to go in a completely different way.

"I think it's too early to decide, it's such a long period of the season to go.

"You never say never because you never know if an opportunity presents and it suits where you're at in your time in life, well why wouldn't all of us take an opportunity like that if you want to do it."

Leppitsch said Hardwick's announcement to immediately leave Richmond surprised him.

"I always knew 'Dimma' was never going to overstay his welcome," Leppitsch said.

"I definitely knew that part of it, but I didn't think anyone would have predicted it would be so soon.

"At the time I was shocked, but in hindsight I think I can see why he made the decision - he made it for the club to give them the best chance."

Leppitsch coached the Lions between 2014 and 2016 during a tough transformational period for the club, winning just 14 of his 66 matches in charge.

The triple premiership defender has previously given interviews where he acknowledged mistakes he made while coaching the Lions but said the environment wasn't set up to give Brisbane the best chance to succeed.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/leppitsch-not-ruling-out-richmond-coaching-job-c-10827736

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2023, 06:59:10 PM »
7news cryptic "Powerball syndicate" reference is just Leppa.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1663830095008792576

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2023, 07:38:53 AM »
Leppa strikes me as another Vossy.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2023, 11:43:33 AM »
I think Leppa is primed for this spot, he's going to be really hungry especially if Mcrae walks away with a Flag himself this year.

As Morphieus said, He is the one.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2023, 01:08:07 PM »
TIGES TO SEARCH FAR AND WIDE

Jon Ralph, Jay Clark and Glenn McFarlane
HeraldSun
1 June 2023

Richmond’s search for ‘the next Dimma’ is expected to be the most extensive coaching search in the club’s history, with the Tigers determined to get the right long-term candidate who could potentially take the club into the next decade.

And Tigers CEO Brendan Gale’s assessment that a first-time coach could be the way to go - as it was with Hardwick in 2010 - gives hope to a range of highly-rated assistants.

Andrew McQualter will have every chance to audition for the role in the running, but a host of other candidates including Melbourne assistant coach Troy Chaplin are also expected to be given the chance to pitch for the role.

Chapin played a key role in the Demons’ 2021 premiership success as a part of Simon Goodwin’s coaching panel.

It is understood Geelong made a pitch to Chaplin about joining Chris Scott’s coaching group after the Demons’ success but he opted to stay.

Chaplin won the AFL Coaches Association assistant coach of the year last season, an award that Magpies coach Craig McRae won in 2019.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/trade-hq/moneyball-column-stay-up-to-date-with-the-latest-trade-free-agency-and-signing-news-across-the-afl/news-story/95f0a51b9feba108c765eeb1607d94b6

Offline Thrasher97

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2023, 03:23:09 PM »
I think Leppa is primed for this spot, he's going to be really hungry especially if Mcrae walks away with a Flag himself this year.

Collingwood flag, where's the vomit emoji when you need it   :help

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2023, 04:01:00 PM »
How about Andy Collins? :shh

Wasn't everyone raving about Dean Solomon a few years ago? What happened to him? :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2023, 05:45:45 PM »

Collingwood flag, where's the vomit emoji when you need it   :help

:chuck
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2023, 10:08:01 PM »
Not McQualter he has already shown he won't play kids and as such is probably not prepared to develop and do some hard yards.

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2023, 10:52:18 PM »
Claw you’re able to call this after one senior game in charge? Or do you base it on something else?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2023, 02:15:34 PM »
The type of coach Richmond should hire

Jake Niall
Chief football writer, The Age
June 9, 2023 — 11.50am

It would be surprising if Richmond hadn’t already held some informal discussions about the type of coach they want to steer the Tigers into their next phase.

The Tigers enjoyed astonishing success with Damien Hardwick for a variety of reasons. One was that the hierarchy backed him in – especially after a seven-year itch of 2016 – when they might have buckled. Another factor, obviously, was the quality of players and staff at Dimma’s disposal.

Shortly after Hardwick arrived, a taciturn teenager called Dustin Martin was drafted from the Bendigo Pioneers.

The philosophy that underpinned the Hardwick era, from the day of his appointment in 2009, was that the Tigers were willing to be patient and to take a long-term view, eschewing the quick fixes and jerking of knees that had seen serial failure at Tigerland.

Consequently, Richmond is a vastly different entity to the one that Hardwick took over nearly 14 years ago. They’ve turned from fiscally fragile to powerful, from a club Brad Ottens fled to one that attracts quality players, from a raging tempest to a calm sea.

Hardwick delivered success, yet was never viewed as the Messiah. In his time, the Tigers learned that a coach, while crucial, is merely a leading part in an ensemble; Hardwick extracted the most from his players, in part, because he kept his role in proper perspective. He became an uber coach by not trying to be one.

If much has changed within the game and Punt Road, the same philosophy that the Tigers adopted in 2009 should prevail again when looking for a senior coach.

They should be looking wide and having an open process that canvasses several candidates, rather than chasing a name.

And they should be focusing largely on landing a first-time coach, instead of recycling or head-hunting a proven senior coach.

It made sense for North Melbourne, given their challenges, to go hard for Alastair Clarkson. Brad Scott’s appointment at Essendon – which still came after a process that he entered late – also fitted the needs of that faction-riven club at that particular time.

Richmond is in a much healthier position, culturally, than North or the Bombers were last year. They have abundant experience in leadership positions, headed by CEO Brendon Gale, and football department bosses Blair Hartley (list/recruitment) and Tim Livingstone (performance).

If Gale leaves his role in the short term – and he has no need to – the club will remain stable at board level, too.

So, Richmond doesn’t need a coach to show them what a decent, united organisation looks like or to reinvent the club.

What they need is a coach who can be at the helm for at least five years and preferably longer (which would mean they’re back in the premiership frame). Logically, this points to a first-time coach, to a current assistant coach who best suits Richmond’s needs.

Andrew McQualter, serving a lengthy audition as caretaker and renowned as a people person, will clearly be a candidate. But the field ought to be wide, counting the highly regarded Daniel Giansiracusa (Essendon), Jaymie Graham (Fremantle) and Adem Yze (Melbourne). McQualter will provide an excellent benchmark for comparison.

If the process is as rigorous as 2009’s search, the Tigers have every chance of identifying serious candidates who’ve never been considered for senior jobs. Remember that Craig McRae, then nearly 48 and as primed to coach as anyone, wasn’t on clubs’ radars pre-2021.

But once he was in the hunt, McRae seemed as bleeding obvious as Tommy Hafey’s game plan, given his mix of Richmondand Hawthorn, and Collingwood pedigree. Most flags are coached by coaches in their first senior gig.

Richmond should be viewing this appointment as having pick No.1 in the coaching draft.

Ken Hinkley, whom Hardwick beat for the Richmond job, is a fine coach. If he and Port can’t come to terms despite a possible top-four finish, he could be available. At 57 in September, however, it’s doubtful that Hinkley would be feasible for a long-term.

There might be other senior coaches, too, willing to come to Tigerland to take over a playing list that’s far from fully replenished and which will lose Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Martin, Dylan Grimes and maybe Dion Prestia relatively soon, having already lost Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli, Kane Lambert and David Astbury from the 2017-2020 crew.

Richmond, thus, will likely be fielding significantly younger teams in 2024-2025 and while they mightn’t agree, the Tigers should be viewing the next two years as developmental, rather than contention-focused. Tom Lynch is certainly a transformational player, but regaining Lynch – and Josh Gibcus – will not be sufficient to prise open the premiership window.

The new coach should be afforded time to build a team, game style and ethos that can withstand fluctuations in performance. Another small factor favouring a first-timer: it will cost less in a limited footy budget (soft cap) at a club that has attacked the AFL for their cuts to football spending.

Richmond’s is an established program that needs re-energising rather than revolution, and is made for a first-time coach who’s done his dues and who aspires to be the next Damien Hardwick.

Essendon assistant coach Daniel Giansiracusa, Richmond caretaker coach Andrew McQualter, and Melbourne assistant Adem Yze CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Assistant coach Jaymie Graham addresses the Fremantle group. CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/young-and-bold-the-type-of-coach-richmond-should-hire-20230608-p5df71.html

Broadsword

« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2023, 03:02:37 PM »
It would be surprising if Richmond hadn’t already held some informal discussions about the type of coach they want to steer the Tigers into their next phase.
It would be surprising if we hadn't already held formal discussions about the attributes our next coach should possess, considering that is exactly what Brendon Gale said we were going to do.

Whenever I think about the type of coach we should hire next, I just ask myself, "what would Jake Niall do?"

#wwjnd