Author Topic: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]  (Read 69960 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Adem Yze is our new coach [merged]
« Reply #675 on: September 22, 2023, 11:02:46 AM »
Interesting that Yze said he'd be happy if Mini stays as his right-hand man. The Club though is giving Mini space for a few days as he would obviously be disappointed in missing out.

Yze also talked about Brett Ratten as the two are close. All depends on what positions need to be filled.

No talk though of us taking a step back in 2024. Not putting a ceiling on next year.

Yze said he's big on clarity of roles and how he wants the team to play.

He also mentioned he was at Hawthorn when Koschitzke arrived at the Hawks.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #676 on: September 22, 2023, 11:09:50 AM »
Is a replay of the media conferecne available.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #677 on: September 22, 2023, 11:31:29 AM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ...
Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel once combined to turn a particular song into a chart-topping success ...

THEN ...
Adem Yze may have embraced it as his motivation. After 43 second placings - well, maybe not that many, but a lot - he's secured a senior coaching gig. Yes, I know the lyrics don't quite line up with his story. But the title does, and I love his refusal to stop trying. Don't Give Up.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036163/sliding-doors

That makes absolutely no sense. Yes these sliding door things usually don't make sense but this has to be the worse one he has ever done.

Maybe time for break

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #678 on: September 22, 2023, 12:45:05 PM »
YZE KEEPS RICHMOND DOOR OPEN FOR MCQUALTER, CONSIDERS ASSISTANTS AND OFFERS INSIGHT INTO COACHING PHILOSOPHY

Andrew Slevison
SEN
22 September 2023

New Richmond coach Adem Yze has kept the door open for unsuccessful candidate Andrew McQualter to remain at the club.

On Thursday night, on his 46th birthday, Yze was appointed as the Tigers’ new senior coach after a rigorous process.

The now former Melbourne assistant was preferred to McQualter, who undertook the interim coaching role in the wake of Damien Hardwick’s mid-season departure.

But McQualter’s days as a Tiger are not over, provided he wants to remain and not pursue a job elsewhere having missed out on the main role at Punt Road.

“If he stays I’d love him to stay,” he said at his press conference.

“He’s created some strong relationships, he understands the place, so I’d have no issue with him staying around and being my right-hand man.

“But if he does move on - we’ll find that out in the next few days - he’ll go with our blessing and I’ll try to fill that spot.”

Yze will now assemble his team of assistants whether they be currently at Richmond or from rival clubs.

He admits he’ll call on former Carlton, St Kilda and North Melbourne (caretaker) coach Brett Ratten who he considers a mentor having worked closely together during Hawthorn’s successful era.

“I’ve got some ideas of the people I might try and bring in, but right now we’ve got an amazing staff, we’ve got some really strong line coaches that have already created a foundation and relationships that I don’t want to break,” Yze continued.

“We’ll work that through that in the next couple of days.

“‘Ratts’ is a mentor of mine, so I’ll give him a call, but we’re just trying to work through what spots we need to fill.

“If there is an opportunity (with Ratten) then there’s a possibility. He’ll be one that I will talk to.”

The former Melbourne star, who played 271 games for the Demons, narrowly missed out on both the Essendon and GWS jobs in 2022 but was not deterred to apply for another senior gig.

“I really enjoyed the process going for two jobs at two good footy clubs,” he said.

“I was really disappointed to miss out but proud of the way I presented. In the end, for me, it was just hoping that there would be another opportunity pop up.

“When an opportunity (came) to coach a big footy club like Richmond footy club, I jumped at it. I was ecstatic when I found out.”

He continued: “It’s a hard one. You start to second guess yourself on whether you should keep going for them, you don’t want to miss too many (jobs).

“I just didn’t want to pass up another opportunity to go to a stable footy club, a really powerful footy club.”

Yze also provided some insight into the way he wants his playing group to perform on the field after making what he describes as a “natural progression” to senior coaching ranks.

The new-school mentality surrounding connection will be key as he goes about endearing himself to the playing group.

“My whole theory around my coaching philosophy is around clarity and connection,” Yze added.

“So they (the players) will be really clear in the way that we play and hopefully they realise how caring I am for our players. I love relationship building, I love connecting with the players, I can’t wait until they get back from Thailand to meet the boys.

“I think I’d be the best coach ever if I rocked up in Thailand and said hello. But that side of it, I can’t wait to meet them and I can’t wait to teach them.

(A trip to Thailand is not actually on the cards).

“The last two really strong footy clubs that I’ve been involved in, the roles I’ve had I’ve felt like I was in the passenger seat.

“The last three years at Melbourne I feel like I’ve been in the driver’s seat on game day. A lot of the roles that I’ve had at both footy clubs have had a lot of responsibility in the way that way play so I feel like the natural progression is senior coach.

“I’m hoping to bring the knowledge and experience of what I’ve learnt over the last few years at two strong footy clubs and bring my slant on the way I think we should play.

“Hopefully we can bounce back really quickly.”

And one of the joys of taking the Richmond role will be getting the chance to coach club great Dustin Martin.

“I can’t wait to work with him,” he said of Martin.

“He’s an amazing player, an amazing person, an amazing Richmond man. To be at the footy club when he plays his 300th game is going to be an amazing opportunity for me.

“He had a terrific season and I can see, not only next year, but a fair few solid years out of ‘Dusty’.

“I’m hoping I can help deliver that with a nice clear role for him and have some impact on games like he normally does.”

A recurring theme from Yze’s press conference was surrounding the opportunity for the youth at the club to really step up now that a number of experienced players, including Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt, have retired.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/22/yze-keeps-richmond-door-open-for-mcqualter-considers-assistants-and-offers/

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #679 on: September 22, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »
Watching that press conference - Adem looks so much like Tom Hafey in the face . Once you see it you can’t unsee it 😂

Very impressive- to live in the past you die in the present ❤️

And like Tiger Tom he's from Shepp.

Like all the others I like what I'm hearing.
Clear roles, communication, respectful (to McQualter, Hawthorn and Melbourne, Dusty, Trent and Jack), looking to the kids to improve us.
Also liked the way he talked about recruitment - that we have a good team but he will offer some input.
Emphasis on strategy is also a great plus.
Very classy first interview.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #680 on: September 22, 2023, 05:56:09 PM »
Gale gave a bit of swipe to Dimma saying last 3 years haven't been acceptable and standards dropped and not involved enough.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #682 on: September 22, 2023, 09:08:49 PM »
Yze's first task in preseason is a back to basics on the defensive side of our gamestyle. A heavy focus on tackling and fixing our poor tackling techniques. Re-teaching our blokes to protect the defensive side at stoppages with numbers, don't allow the ball over the back from opposition down the line kicks, and for our smalls and mids to be front and square at contests especially to our tall forwards. If you can't do the basics right and consistently then you've got no chance of being successful.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Gigantor

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #683 on: September 22, 2023, 11:19:07 PM »
I agree with all you say mightytiges but for me even before all you list is to stamp his style of play on the players

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #684 on: September 22, 2023, 11:40:14 PM »
I’ve never heard the word “um” used so often in one media session

Does seem like a really good bloke though .. hopefully he’s the right man for the job

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #685 on: September 22, 2023, 11:54:42 PM »
THE KEY FACTOR THAT WON YZE RICHMOND JOB OVER MCQUALTER

Seb Mottram
SEN
22 September 2023

Adem Yze’s selection as Richmond’s new coach was primarily a decision to bring a new figure into Punt Road.

That’s the revelation from Frank Ponissi, who played a role in the Tigers’ coaching search and suggested Andrew McQualter's position counted against him.

Ponissi, Melbourne Storm’s footy boss, was one of more than half a dozen names on Richmond’s coaching selection panel. He was joined by CEO Brendon Gale, vice president Henriette Rothschild and footy managers Tim Livingstone and Blair Hartley, while Football Australia director Paddy Steinfort was the other external candidate.

Nathan Buckley and Trent Cotchin joined the panel this week.

Yze was unveiled on Thursday night after he and McQualter emerged as the front runners last week and Ponissi paid credit to both candidates.

“I thought it was an outstanding process... it came down to two high quality candidates and look, it could have gone either way,” he told SEN’s Dwayne’s World.

“But I think the decision to go with Adem, a bit of a fresh start was probably the difference but it certainly wouldn’t have been a surprise if Andrew (got it), who I think will be a head coach sometime somewhere.”

Yze will cross from Melbourne, where he has been a senior assistant since 2020, to take up the role at Richmond.

He fell just short in processes for the GWS and Essendon jobs last year but has been given his first opportunity by the Tigers.

McQualter succeeded Damien Hardwick earlier this year and enjoyed a wave of support early in his tenure before Richmond fell away late in the year.

Caretaker coaches don’t have a good record as full-time coaches in recent years, as evidenced by David Teague and Brett Ratten, a fact that may have counted against McQualter.

“I think the fact that Adem, that’s he probably new was a big one to bring in some fresh changes the club was looking for… there were probably some other key little ones as well,” Ponissi added.

“But there really wasn’t too much between the two, that fresh change might have been the difference between Adem and Andrew.

“They both possess a lot of similar strengths and both could have done the job without any doubt.”

With Melbourne’s season ending last week, Yze is free to start at Richmond straight away.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/09/22/the-key-factor-that-won-yze-richmond-job-over-mcqualter/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #686 on: September 23, 2023, 12:13:46 AM »
Are there any details around how long hes actually signed on for ? Would be an indicator of the clubs confidence
It's for 3 years.

Source: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1705135260248531431

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #687 on: September 23, 2023, 10:21:38 AM »
I’ve never heard the word “um” used so often in one media session

Does seem like a really good bloke though .. hopefully he’s the right man for the job

Close to 100 Damo :lol

says the right things though. Just hope he has defensive attributes as we have been terrible in this department for 3 years now.

The standards have dropped, on and OFF the field Benny has confirmed this. :shh

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #688 on: September 23, 2023, 11:01:01 AM »
I think the most interesting thing about that interview were the words of Benny Gale about how our game style had fallen away so dramatically.

Me thinks had Dimma stayed there would have been some serious questions asked of him.
Always better to leave when you can feel the hands of your bosses hand on your back.  ;D

Beyond that, I like the idea of Mini staying - can support Ooze in holding together what has worked for us while learning and growing under him areas that are/were working well at Dees and Hawks.

Every other job should be up for grabs. I did not like the sound of him keeping the other assistants.
To me, they are part of the problem.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #689 on: September 23, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
I think the most interesting thing about that interview were the words of Benny Gale about how our game style had fallen away so dramatically.

Me thinks had Dimma stayed there would have been some serious questions asked of him.
Always better to leave when you can feel the hands of your bosses hand on your back.  ;D

Beyond that, I like the idea of Mini staying - can support Ooze in holding together what has worked for us while learning and growing under him areas that are/were working well at Dees and Hawks.

Every other job should be up for grabs. I did not like the sound of him keeping the other assistants.
To me, they are part of the problem.

Let's wait and see what happens in the next few weeks