Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156417 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #1065 on: June 12, 2017, 08:48:39 PM »
Mourning the dead is against your culture? Righto.....

::) ::)

you surprised?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #1066 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
The same mob that in 2015 refused to get on a team bus here in australia bc the driver was a woman - and this mob are the head of the Human Rights Council?  :lol

dwaino

« Reply #1067 on: June 13, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
Jeggo replacing Jedinak for friendly and confederations cup. Surely Ange can't go with a 3 defence formation now.

dwaino

« Reply #1068 on: June 14, 2017, 12:06:42 AM »
Definitely got schooled tonight. It's not a fair comparison though, we had our best and they had a second string but even then was full of Premier League, Barcelona, Juventus, PSG, Bayern etc starters. We just can't compare when we're lucky to have more than one or two players to even have minutes in the same leagues.

In saying that I thought we were good at times. Box to box and the stuff you can coach I thought there were times where we clearly matched them, but it's the stuff you can't coach. Things like quick flicks and fancy passing, the cheek to take an opponent on with a trick, and just the kind of football brain that comes with being from a culture that has lived and breathed the game for generations. I saw a few times our boys tried to mimic them with some quick passes and it nearly paid off. Playing against sides like that will do us good even if we get smashed. Our guys don't really get that sort of exposure to quality opposition even with their clubs. Just constantly playing nations from our confederation will never make us better if we want to be a genuine middleweight. Will be interesting to see what they've learnt from tonight and what they take into the game against Germany's B team. If they haven't learnt anything then Draxler is going to absolutely pants them like Coutinho did. Sounds harsh but it was good to see their faces after the game as they crashed back down to Earth. No pats on the bum and "we did what we needed to do" tonight.

tony_montana

« Reply #1069 on: June 14, 2017, 01:17:45 PM »
Agreed Dwaino, structurally we were much better than we have been recently and looked a bit sharper but when Brazil put the foot down they pulled us apart like we were witches hats. Biggest issue I see (apart from the individual skill gulf) is the difference in speed and agility. The only player that looked like he could match them off the mark and in straight line speed was Leckie. I saw the after game discussions on foxsports and was disturbing to hear that we dont evaluate speed and strength conditioning for up and coming players at the AIS anymore. :gobdrop

As a matter of urgency we should be putting in place programs and checks through junior reps sides and camps to ensure this is trained and monitored. We may not be able to ever have the individual brilliance of Brazil but there should be no excuse for not churning out absolute elite athletes.

Im jumping around a bit here but regarding our individual skill level, our national program over the past 10-15 years is also at fault here. In the past we had no problems churning out bonafie world class players like Kewell, Viduka, Vidmar, Okon, Zelic, Bresciano, Grella, Bosnich, Schwarzer, Simunic, Seric(last 2 traitorous scum that chose to play for Croatia)  these are players that played in top sides in top leagues and didnt look out of place on the field against world class sides.

Our national coaching philosophies have changed - we have bred and developed a new 'safe style' player that doesnt look for killer balls to break up defensive structures. We need to go back to the drawing board and not stifle individual creativity. Right now, the only players in our squad who genuinely and consistently look to break lines and arent afraid to go for low percentage through balls/or runs are Rogic, Kruse, and to a lesser extent Luongo. (I like the way Irving times his runs late and gets himself into goal scoring positions for a midfielder - its an art and you either have that or dont). No one else has the balls or ability to do it at international level.

Another thing that is costing us is players making terrible club decisions based on money.
-Sainsbury for mine has everything you would want in a defender - imo he could and should be world class but 2 years ago when it was time to leave the dutch league, instead of stepping up into the german, spanish, Italian or english leagues, he chose the money in China and stifled his development. Transferred to Inter Milan last season but barely got a look in, he is just entering the prime of his years and has missed 2 big years of development and mprovement.
-Spiranovic at 18 was playing 1st team football in the bundesliga, was cruelled with injury for a couple of years, but going to China after getting form back after a stint in the Aleague has ruined any chance he had of developing into a top class defender.
-Milligan has grossly underachieved for the god given talent he has, he is a big player that reads the game as well as anyone, walked out on euro football when he was younger bc he didnt like the commitment required which tarnished his reputation. Content to play within himself in the a league and some crap arab league.
-Kruse leaving the bundesliga for China? really? Understand that his time at the club may have been up due to injury etc but I have no doubt he couldve joined another decent side in a decent league. He has quality but another example of chasing the dollar.

I wont go into every player, but you get my drift - some really poor decisions have stifled the expected development and improvement in our NT over the past 3-5 years.

tony_montana

« Reply #1070 on: June 14, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
Current Players I think can become legitimate class players and if I was Ange Id be putting a lot of time into them to ensure they make good decisions for their playing career which in turn would help us out at national level

Rogic(on fire but needs to step up to a big league now)
Mooy(will be playing PL next season which is great for him and us)
Sainsbury(at Inter now, its up to him, he will benefit from training and being around world class teammates)
Smith(In the PL but needs to get some gametime, I rate smith, unbelievable pace, good peg a lot to work with)
Ryan(In the PL next season which will be great for his development, reckon he still has plenty of improvement in him)
Kruse(Massive D-day coming up for a player who is respected amongst his peers, hopefully will go to a good club)
Luongo(Needs to leave QPR imo)
Leckie(doing well in a good league)
Ikonomidis(developing well)
Goodwin(made the right career decision, now battling to establish himself in Holland)
Degenek(slight question marks on overall talent/skillset) but young enough to persevere with.
Irvine(needs to step up into a better league imo)
Hrustic(developing incredibly well)

Make those players the nucleus of the squad moving forward. In terms of pure talent, its actually pretty good, problem is apart from a handful of them, they are all treading waterand have been for a while now.(Geez we're light on for defenders though, Bailey Wright, McGowan brothers, Behich are way off the pace and will never be good enough imo.

dwaino

« Reply #1071 on: June 14, 2017, 05:52:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure Sainsbury has returned to his Chinese club as his Inter loan expired. Still pretty good that a club like that gave him a look in though.

Agree on the others. Mooy and Rogic firing at the same time would be huge for our team. Would be interesting to know what the next generation is like though. That Pasquali 16 year old that Victory had briefly looked all class before getting snapped up by Ajax's youth academy. A few more like that would be handy.

Don't forget that Langarak is back in the Bundesliga after getting Stuttgart back in 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1072 on: June 20, 2017, 04:30:46 AM »
Lost 2-3 to Germany.

Deer in the headlight stuff from us in the first half. We were torn to shreds and we're lucky to be only 1-2 down. Much better second half. Rogic (what a star), Mooy and Kruse when he came on were clearly our best. The German keeper was our next best. He had a shocker which allowed in our two goals.

Once again coughed up a goal early on in the game to put us on the back foot (in the second half as well). We're being exposed big time playing a back 3 when most of our blokes aren't use to playing together with that formation. Opposition forwards and attacking mids can easily make runs into space behind us when we get caught not knowing who pushes up and who stays back.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

tony_montana

« Reply #1073 on: June 26, 2017, 12:58:13 PM »
finished off the confed cup with a 1-1 draw with world number 4 Chile after drawing 1-1 with cameroon several days earlier.

The Cameroon performance was more of the same rubbish - too slow and methodical in our build up, over using Mooy unnecessarily, wright and degenek continuing to give away cheap possession. Lucky to draw that one.

The Chile game was vastly different. No Mooy, Rogic, Leckie, Wright, Degenek, no worries.

Should have and couldve have scored 4 or 5 quite easily. Refreshing to see us finally put together some enterprising movement on and off the ball. Hopefully this is the game we look back at to say thats where we rediscovered our mojo.  Luongo, Irvine, Sainsbury, Milligan, Kruse were the standouts for mine. We took risks and it paid off. I have no doubt that will give the players a lot of belief that they can trouble anyone.

dwaino

« Reply #1074 on: June 26, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »
Didn't see it but I read a fair bit and saw some stuff and reckon we did awesomely against the world #4. We play like that next month and we are off to the World Cup.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1075 on: June 26, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »
Chile might be ranked number 4.

They wouldn't be in the top 10 in the world though.

Brazil
Argies
Spain
Germany
France
Italy
Portugal
Dutch

I'm just plucking off the top of my head and not a soccer fan in any capacity , just my two bobs worth

dwaino

« Reply #1076 on: June 26, 2017, 06:54:54 PM »
Ranked #4 on FIFA ranking points. This Chile team won the Copa last year, romped Brazil 2-0 in the last qualifier and are currently going through a purple patch. They are tuning up for WC and went in strong including guys like Vidal and Sanchez. It was a great effort from our lot unlike the putrid one against Germany's second string side which only had Draxler. 

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

tony_montana

« Reply #1077 on: June 26, 2017, 07:27:44 PM »
Damo, when talking historical pedigree then you're right - but this Chilean side is the bomb, South American Champions as dwaino pointed out beating Argentina in the final, took care of business against Brazil comfortably last start.  They have talent equal to any side in the world - make no mistake this is a heavyweight side that is not punching above their weight class with this generation of players.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1078 on: June 26, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
50/1 and 13th fav for the World Cup

Might throw on a lazy pineapple for some interest

tony_montana

« Reply #1079 on: July 03, 2017, 10:14:51 PM »
Those pesky Germans