Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156397 times)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #1365 on: July 02, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
The thing is MT, Spain were pathetic last night. Obviously Russia were locking down th flanks, but Spain refused to try and make key passes through the middle. Occasionally when they did, then often found Iniesta in dangerous positions.

Completely their own fault. I’m over seeing Russia do well in this World Cup but that was easily the worst game I’ve watched all tournament. Ended up being the right result. pee of Spain, play with a little date and heart next time and you’ll probably win the thing.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1366 on: July 02, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
The thing is MT, Spain were pathetic last night. Obviously Russia were locking down th flanks, but Spain refused to try and make key passes through the middle. Occasionally when they did, then often found Iniesta in dangerous positions.

Completely their own fault. I’m over seeing Russia do well in this World Cup but that was easily the worst game I’ve watched all tournament. Ended up being the right result. pee of Spain, play with a little date and heart next time and you’ll probably win the thing.
Sorry Dougey if I didn't make it clear but that was the point of my post. I'm agreeing with you that Spain were pathetic. They played too slow and cautiously which is why they lacked penetration. You can't play that way now days against modern defensive formations. Their manager would've copped a pasting in the Spanish media today for his slow set-up tactics. Keep the neat triangles that go nowhere only for skills training on the practice pitch. It's not 2010 anymore.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #1367 on: July 02, 2018, 05:24:27 PM »
Spain remind me of Italy. Currently going through a transition where the guns of yesterday are moving on and they can't find the next generation to settle on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1368 on: July 03, 2018, 02:25:38 PM »
Japan this morning reminded me of us against Iran in 1997. Two nil up with just over 20 minutes to go and then choke. Belgium's 1st and 3rd (winner) goals were due to Japanese mistakes. They failed to clear the ball twice in the first case and then before conceding the 3rd goal they went for last minute glory rather than play for extra time by pushing 7 into the box for their corner. Belgium then burned them on the counter. Great team goal by Belgium's elite strike force (Lukaku with two self-less dummies in the one play to create space for his teammates) but Japan were left to rue leaving the back gate open.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1369 on: July 04, 2018, 06:23:10 AM »
poms 15 mins away from a penalty shootout after choking in the last minute of normal time

1/1
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1370 on: July 04, 2018, 06:24:39 AM »
Was a great goal from Colombia though,

Cmon you pommy bastards!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1371 on: July 04, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »
England got out of jail. It could be the lucky break they need to go on and win it now. They should be too good for the Swedes and make the semis at least.

I liked how the Poms gave the South Americans a taste of their own medicine. Never seen an English side dive as much as they did tonight. Something the Socceroos need to learn from.

You wouldn't want to be Uribe or Bacca given Colombia's history by the way.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1372 on: July 04, 2018, 12:26:02 PM »
Poms actually won a penalty shoot out....the world truly has gone mad.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1373 on: July 07, 2018, 05:42:30 AM »
Can Belgium hold on. Great game

2/1 83rd min

dwaino

« Reply #1374 on: July 07, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
France have the glamour side but I reckon Belgium have the team game as well as the firepower to roll them next. The cup winner will be either one of them IMO. The other side of the draw seems to be gutsy, punching above their weight kinds + England. Croatia is having one hell of a cup but I'm not sure how they'll match against a powerhouse.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1375 on: July 07, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »
Tipped an England vs France final and wouldn't be surprised if the Poms go all the way as this current England side appears mentally tougher and smarter than their past highly overrated teams which not surprisingly always under delivered and failed spectacularly.

Belgium though may put a dent in that tip with their strikepower up front although the French are equally adapt up front with Mbappe, Griezmann, Grioud, Pogba and co.

dwaino

« Reply #1376 on: July 08, 2018, 02:15:56 AM »
As solid a performance that was England have been blessed on the doodle with their draw so far. Croatia (assuming) will be a much tougher affair. Love their old school tactics though. Who says 442 is dead?!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1377 on: July 08, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »
how do you post videos on here?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1378 on: July 08, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »
how do you post videos on here?
Post the video link or if it's a short video then convert the vid file to a gif file and post it as an image.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1379 on: July 11, 2018, 06:23:33 AM »
All about taking your chance(s) in this World Cup where so many goals have come from set pieces. France took theirs and they're through to the final. In the end, one moment of poor defensive marking in the box cost Belgium.