Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156432 times)

Moi

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2006, 03:51:53 AM »
They did well - missed opportunities

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2006, 04:01:20 AM »
Socceroos didn't deserve to go down 2-0. The only difference was Brazil took their opportunities and we didn't. The Aussies missed a couple of sitters  :-\.

Oh well. A draw or win against Croatia and we're through to the second round anyway.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2006, 04:35:50 AM »
How many free kicks did Brazil get, you coulnt even breath on them.

Soccer has no hope of taking over in Australia.

Good effort by the Aussies though, lets take down Croatia  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2006, 04:49:28 PM »
How many free kicks did Brazil get, you coulnt even breath on them.

25-9 according to SBS. Kewell went ballistic at the referee after the game and might get a yellow card for his troubles.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2006, 11:08:17 AM »
Kewell went ballistic at the referee after the game and might get a yellow card for his troubles.

FIFA are thinking of suspending Harry :o.

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2006, 12:36:56 PM »
He would only play half a game even if he's not suspended - he's no-where near fit.

It's a pity he earns so much money otherwise they might just fine him - no amount of fine would hurt him - he will be extremely fortunate to not get suspended. The referee was over zealous and imho affected the way the Aussies played, as when Ronaldo held the ball before their first goal - they held off him, too wary of giving away a free.

Harry was well out of order. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2006, 03:59:14 PM »
Grella was extremely lucky not to get even a yellow card for his tackle with his studs up into a Brazilian players shin but apart from that the Referee was too whistle happy. The Referee penalised Viduka a number times when all he was doing was holding his ground to hold up the ball.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2006, 05:37:49 PM »
When Fred came on I heard him say "Right!!" on the ground mic.

"I'm a model, you know what I mean and I do my little turn on the catwalk"

Sorry for the bad joke.  :help

The ref killed all chances of us having a flowing game. We go from an Egyptian ref against the Japs to Europe's #1 ref against Brazil. He would almost be on a first name basis with most of the Brazilian's. Rent a Ref I hear you say?? It was like wathing a mother protecting her child from the local playground bully. Gimme a break!!!  :wallywink :banghead

I wouldn't be surprised if the ref for our game against the Cro's is Kofi Annan.  :lol

Bulluss

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2006, 07:29:04 PM »
Harry has been cleared to play in this Friday's game against Croatia.

Justice!!!!! :thumbsup

Stick it up em Harry

Moi

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 09:07:47 PM »
Go Harry  :thumbsup

Doesn't matter if he plays, i had a dream last night and Spain and Italy will play off in the final lol

I had to look up the standings and they're going all right.

Cheers

NostraMoi

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2006, 01:56:12 AM »
Harry's a lucky boy  :clapping.

You've got love the "there were 'irregularities' between the referees" comment. Only 16 of the 25 frees paid against the Socceroos were shown to be not frees at all  :whistle.

Bring on Croatia  :thumbsup.

Doesn't matter if he plays, i had a dream last night and Spain and Italy will play off in the final lol

Someone's got the Mediterranean on the brain lol  ;).

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2006, 03:38:29 PM »
Kewell's Cup gets a referee's decision he likes
By DAN OAKES, MICHAEL LYNCH, MICHAEL COCKERILL and MATTHEW HALL

AUSTRALIA'S hopes of making World Cup history by reaching the second round were given a massive boost last night when Harry Kewell was cleared of his abuse of referee Markus Merk.

The star striker faced a ban for telling Merk, "You are f---ing s--t", moments after the Socceroos' loss to Brazil on Monday. A ban would have ruled him out of the all-or-nothing clash with Croatia on Friday morning.

Kewell was angry with the way the German referee controlled the game, in which he gave Brazil 25 free kicks to Australia's nine.

Kewell was cleared on a technicality, with a FIFA spokesman describing reports from match officials as "inconsistent". While referees are allowed to give red or yellow cards after a game, Merk did neither at the time.

FIFA is also understood to be furious with Merk for telling Kewell he would not play in the match against Croatia, leaving the official open to accusations of premeditation in reporting Kewell.

"He basically said, 'Your World Cup is over', and that Harry would not play again," said a teammate, speaking on condition of anonymity.

FIFA insiders suggest Merk changed his story when he realised that his own role at the World Cup may come under threat after his performance officiating in the game, including his failure to issue Kewell with a red or yellow card at the time.

Kewell is understood to have been furious after the 2-0 loss because Merk was congratulating Brazilian players on their win.

Australian Professional Footballers Association boss John Didulica — the brother of Geelong-born Croatian goalkeeper Joey Didulica — helped construct the legal argument that cleared Kewell.

He said that had FIFA suspended Kewell the whole culture of the sport would have been turned on its head because he would have been outed on a decision made by someone other than the referee after the match had finished.

"The referee's power to sanction players rests on his ability to issue red and yellow cards which lead to suspensions. There are other ways for the referee to act against players but they are applied in different circumstances, where players can be charged for bringing the game into disrepute," Didulica said.

Football Federation Australia chief executive John O'Neill said the federation was "enormously grateful for FIFA's wisdom".

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2006/06/20/1150701554785.html?from=top5

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »
Good onya Harry calling a spade a spade!  :thumbsup Couldn't have said it better myself. Gee he must have felt good saying what he said and getting away with it. I'm sure there's a few AFL umpires that deserve the same sort of spray.

ROFLMAOOOO@Merk freaking out and changing his story because he realised he had stuffed up and was on the verge of being booted out of the World Cup himself. :wallywink
If there was a pool match to be played in Siberia, Merk would be officiating for sure.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2006, 07:09:12 AM »
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! :woohoo

Harry delivers when it matters  :thumbsup.

What a farce of a game though. Another referee blind as a bat who can't count. Simunic got 3 yellow cards and we had 2 definite penalities not given  ::). The Pom refs are usually pretty good but what a joke tonight.

Speaking of Simunic - he's done a Nathan Buckley  :rollin.

Guus please put Schwarzer in goal. Talk about heart in your mouth stuff with Kalac whose nerves got the better of him and his fumbling hands :help.

Lucky none of that cost the Socceroos in the end. Bring on Italia and Lygon Street lol :thumbsup 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 07:36:03 AM by mightytiges »

Moi

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2006, 07:55:09 AM »
Really enjoyed watching the cup - don't know much about the game but have managed to watch all games.
Those last 10 minutes this morning was the most nail biting stuff.

If we lose to Italy, do we go out or what happens?  Not that i'm expecting to lose after what i've seen.  The Aussies have been more than competitive, even against Brazil.  I would hate to see a game come down to penalty shoot outs, especially if we have that goal keeper we had today there lol.

Go Aussies, you've done us proud.

:bow