Author Topic: Socceroos / Matildas / World Cup / Asian Cup  (Read 156356 times)

Moi

Re: Socceroos / World Cup / Asian Cup
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2006, 06:52:45 PM »
i can assure you, is the usa played australia, the usa would have won. australia did well, they did very well, but they didnt do as well as the media here are suggesting. propaganda is a wonderful thing.
You're pretty good at propaganda yourself lol
Austraila did very well, and most ppl who watched their games would say so as well.  Was very unlucky against the Italians to lose in the last minute, regardless of how many players they had.  They were banking on their fitness to win them the game in extra time - was probably the worst mistake they made.  Should have put the bastards away earlier.  They didn't and paid the penalty. 
Wasn't only the media who thought they did well - they exceeded all expectations IMO.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2006, 07:13:53 AM »
Well done to Italy. I gotta concede X, They played very expansive, especially down the left flank and I think it was good for the game that France pinched an early goal. I don't agree with much of your long post the other day, but it doesn't matter now. Anyway many happy returns.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2006, 08:04:31 AM »
Well done to Italy. I gotta concede X, They played very expansive, especially down the left flank and I think it was good for the game that France pinched an early goal. I don't agree with much of your long post the other day, but it doesn't matter now. Anyway many happy returns.

its a stressfull game. but what a weekend, my tigers killed port and teh italians won and they deserved it!

u r right jake, but reflecting on teh game, france were very lucky on 2 counts, that penalty was not a penalty, australia feel that they were stiff , well italy nearly lost the cup due to bad umpiring!!
then after the italians equalised they scored again and that was called offside and imo was  a gr8 goal.  then italy hit the cross bar. it could have been a 3-0 win to italy. but it wasnt meant to be that way and it went to penalties and finally  italy won one.

the game of the tournament was italy v germany, the final is often an anti climax i think presure and fear of losing gets to to many players

world cup is over. lets concentrate on the getting the tigers into the finals

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2006, 09:13:07 AM »
I agree Italy had a much better first half and should have held a telling lead at the break, but for me it was definitely a penalty as Malouda was denied a goalscoring opportunity (and I had him at $21 for first goalscorer too!).

Early in the second I feel that Zambrotta went through the legs of Malouda and that should have been another penalty. Missed the first half of extra time getting ready for work but it was so dissapointing seeing Zidane finish the way he did. For most, the greatest player of the last 10-15 years and he goes out like that. I'm almost hoping it was provoked by racial or religious abuse because at least then there would be a reason for it.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
I agree Italy had a much better first half and should have held a telling lead at the break, but for me it was definitely a penalty as Malouda was denied a goalscoring opportunity (and I had him at $21 for first goalscorer too!).

Early in the second I feel that Zambrotta went through the legs of Malouda and that should have been another penalty. Missed the first half of extra time getting ready for work but it was so dissapointing seeing Zidane finish the way he did. For most, the greatest player of the last 10-15 years and he goes out like that. I'm almost hoping it was provoked by racial or religious abuse because at least then there would be a reason for it.

nothing racial, zz is very respected , played in seria A 4 many yrs, he was prob told that his mother was a gr8 #$%^

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2006, 04:47:28 PM »
that penalty was not a penalty, australia feel that they were stiff , well italy nearly lost the cup due to bad umpiring!!
then after the italians equalised they scored again and that was called offside and imo was  a gr8 goal.  then italy hit the cross bar. it could have been a 3-0 win to italy. but it wasnt meant to be that way and it went to penalties and finally  italy won one.

the game of the tournament was italy v germany, the final is often an anti climax i think presure and fear of losing gets to to many players

The penalty was karma  ;D but fortunately the Azzurri won anyway  :thumbsup. Agree with Jake that France scoring first was the best thing for the game. Forced the Italians to play and they did it brilliantly. The first half was the best soccer of the tournament IMO. Lightening quick movement of the ball by both sides. A lesson to the Socceroos. Sad to see ZZ lose his head in his last game though.

world cup is over. lets concentrate on the getting the tigers into the finals

:gotigers
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2006, 04:28:20 AM »
Socceroos are still only ranked 33rd in the world despite making the second round and only losing by a whisker in the last seconds of the game to the eventual champions. These FIFA rankings are mostly a joke.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19771923%255E2883,00.html

letsgetiton!

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2006, 03:59:56 PM »
Socceroos are still only ranked 33rd in the world despite making the second round and only losing by a whisker in the last seconds of the game to the eventual champions. These FIFA rankings are mostly a joke.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,19771923%255E2883,00.html

not really mt.  the rankings are probably spot on. australia only won 1 game in the world cup, lost and drew the rest. italy now has been  undefeated  in their past 28 games.

it takes more that 1 competition to prove ur ranking.  33 is actually quite good.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2006, 04:27:21 PM »

not really mt.  the rankings are probably spot on. australia only won 1 game in the world cup, lost and drew the rest. italy now has been  undefeated  in their past 28 games.

it takes more that 1 competition to prove ur ranking.  33 is actually quite good.

Obviously when 9 countries who failed to qualify for the WC are ranked higher than Australia. Turkey and Greece fair enough on recent history and quality but how can you take the rankings serious bar the top few when 4 African non-qualifiers (when only one African nation out of 5 qualifiers made the last 16) and Uruguay who Australia beat in the qualifiers are ranked above and way above the Socceroos.

11     Nigeria
11    Cameroon
14    Uruguay
21    Colombia
24    Guinea
26    Romania
27    Turkey
29    Egypt
32    Greece
33    Australia

letsgetiton!

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2006, 07:48:46 AM »

Obviously when 9 countries who failed to qualify for the WC are ranked higher than Australia. Turkey and Greece fair enough on recent history and quality but how can you take the rankings serious bar the top few when 4 African non-qualifiers (when only one African nation out of 5 qualifiers made the last 16) and Uruguay who Australia beat in the qualifiers are ranked above and way above the Socceroos.

11     Nigeria
11    Cameroon
14    Uruguay
21    Colombia
24    Guinea
26    Romania
27    Turkey
29    Egypt
32    Greece
33    Australia

mt, ur not a happy man about this and i understand. when australia kick arse in the asia cup, watch their ranking climb

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2006, 04:02:35 PM »
Seems the Italians are paying for their world cup win against us. Two penalty box challenges by Frenchmen in recent Euro 2008 qualifiers that were worse that what Lucas Neill did yet both times it was the Italian who got yellow carded for diving. Nice one FIFA ::).   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2006, 02:14:42 AM »
Anyone else here been following the furore of the last few days over FIFA president Blatter's comments in an SBS interview with Les Murray?

The guy sucks up to Australia to collect the votes he needs to stay in power. First of all of promising Oceania a direct WC qualification place when he had no final say in the decision and then on Sunday saying we should have gone further in the WC instead of Italy and apologising for the overall standard of refereeing in the WC. He has been taken out of context by the Aussie media if you hear the full interview but what he says does stuff all for the team 4 months are the tournament has finished.

Instead of being patronising, FIFA needs to clear up the diving or faking injury laws otherwise every major soccer tournament will become a farce like the last WC.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2006, 12:10:11 AM »
The Socceroos were drawn into a good group for the Asian Cup next year. Iraq is half decent but Oman and Thailand shouldn't provide any problems.

Group A  - Australia    Iraq    Oman  Thailand   

Group B -   Vietnam    Japan     Qatar          UAE
Group C -   Malaysia    Iran     Uzbekistan     China 
Group D -   Indonesia  Korea   Saudi Arabia   Bahrain