Author Topic: Richmond vs Brisbane @ the 'Gabba --- Round 16, 2023  (Read 6470 times)

Offline AstuteTiger

• Jack Dyer medallist
Re: Richmond vs Brisbane @ the 'Gabba --- Round 16, 2023
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2023, 12:31:27 AM »
Bad night all around. Still kicking down the line way too often, making it a 50/50 contest and it got rebounded back more times than not. We do not have the foot skills to pinpoint multiple short passes. The lions' foot skills were spot on, they were pinpointing passes at will.

38 inside 50's, our midfield was obliterated

Seems Cumbo is the new Castagna first targeted after a heavy loss. I say this having read some posts on other forums and social media (big mistake), should've stayed off social media.
He's played 16 games. First game back in a month. Thought he presented well taking 5 marks and kicking a goal. Had 7 disposals.

Now let's compare the others, Clarke who tried hard but didn't use it well. Dropped marks like it was a wet night. DE46%
Jack 6 disposals, 1 mark 0 scoreboard
Ryan 5 disposals, 2 marks 0 scoreboard
Miller 4 disposals, 3 marks 0 scoreboard
Pickett 9 disposals, 1 mark 0 scoreboard
Jack Graham, is having more average games than good. How he escapes scrutiny is beyond me. 11 disposals, 2 tackles, and 1 point.

Cumberland out of the 7 forwards was our best which shows how poor the others were, and Clarke was 2nd even though he turned it over but played with some spark.

From our 7 forwards listed above. 3 tackles between them all. 2 to Graham and 1 to Pickett. It's why I wanted Maurice Junior in, his frenetic pressure and closing the space quickly denies opposition players to waltz the ball out easily. We saw it last week v Saints.

Some other players:
Almost forgot Macintosh, 10 disposals on the wing is just not good enough.
Cotchin had a good game last week but was poor tonight with 14 disposals, 0 clearances, and 2 tackles.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 01:15:00 AM by AstuteTiger »

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2023, 01:03:09 AM »
Disgusting.

That’s not going to get you a coaching job.

We got what we deserved.

Teams have injuries, no excuse.

No future forwards.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2023, 10:19:40 AM »
AFL legend Jason Dunstall took aim after Hipwood got in the face of Tigers defender Noah Balta after Joe Daniher took a mark on the Richmond star in the second quarter.

Speaking on Fox Footy after the match, Dunstall said it was an act a player would “deserve to get chinned for”.

“There is something that has become very prevalent in our game that I don’t like,” he said.

“Now the NFL they have a taunting rule. So if you stand over a player after the play or get in their face and carry on like a tool you cop a penalty straight away and can get ejected.

“We need to stop taunting in the AFL.”

Dunstall said he was not singling Hipwood out but said it was prevalent throughout the sport.

“Because every player is doing this,” he said.

“Instead of celebrating his teammate taking a good mark keep your eye on Eric Hipwood. He is going to go to Noah Balta the opponent.”

After Daniher made the grab, Hipwood sarcastically clapped at Balta, who pushed his rival.

“Look at that, is that not getting in your private space?” Dunstall said.

“Why on earth do we have to put up with c**p like that?

“I just want the players to be better, go and celebrate the positive. Pat your teammate Joe Daniher on the back for taking a good mark.

“Don’t do that, you deserve to get chinned for that and we don’t want to see that coming into the game.

“The rule-makers have to intervene.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/eric-hipwood-deserves-to-get-chinned-for-taunt-afl-great-jason-dunstall/news-story/6809a69bb926291747d904de15e201df

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2023, 10:21:26 AM »
lol at crap being censored (I know its in the original article and not OER)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2023, 10:48:13 AM »
LACK OF INTENT AND COMMITMENT THE DOWNFALL OF “POOR” AND “TIMID” TIGERS

Andrew Slevison
SEN
30 June 2023

Richmond copped its heaviest defeat since 2016 when going down to Brisbane by 81 points at the Gabba on Thursday night.

The Tigers were battered from the first bounce to the final siren by a rampant Lions outfit that banged on 20 goals from 68 inside 50s in a statement performance.

David King assessed the Tigers in the aftermath and was particularly critical of their lack of intent and effort around the contest and at stoppages.

King believes it was the most “timid” he has seen the Tigers in quite a while.

“They were pretty poor,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“I thought it was the most timid that I’ve seen Richmond play in a long time.

“The 50-50 balls were 70-30 balls because they didn’t straight-line the footy. They didn’t commit their bodies like they have for a decade.

“Tim Taranto, there was a genuine 50-50 ball and he just took a step to the side to miss the contact. I thought that’s a bad sign early in the game and it leaked and permeated through the group.

“They’d be really disappointed wth their attack on the footy.

Sam Edmund outlined some of the statistical areas where the Tigers, who were coming off the bye deathtrap, were punished.

He wondered where a loss like this leaves a team that is sitting precariously outside the top eight.

“+24 clearance, +26 contest, 30 more (inside 50) entries, 21 marks inside 50,” said Edmund of the Lions’ dominance.

“Richmond were off though, as good as Brisbane were, and that’s now 0-9 for teams coming off the bye.

“We were probably trying to find Richmond’s watermark. Is it bottom half of the eight? Is it eighth or seventh? Or is this actually a true reflection of where they’re at and their ability?

“For as much as they were un-Richmond-like, this might just be about where they’re at.”

King knows caretaker coach Andrew McQualter and the playing group will be downcast by the defeat after simply not giving the effort desired to compete with a premiership contender away from home.

“They’ll be disappointed with their efforts,” he said further.

“They didn’t give themselves a chance, they didn’t compete to the level. If you’re going to beat a top four team on the road, you have to be absolutely full bore.

“They weren’t there.”

Despite the subpar showing, the Tigers did have some excuses with Dustin Martin a late out, joining Dion Prestia (calf) on the sidelines.

Those injuries were further compounded by doing Jayden Short (hamstring) in the first half, but overall they were devoid of effort.

“Not to give them outs because every team is suffering injuries, but when you lose Prestia and Martin, they’re two key pillars to take on the road,” King added.

“It’s very difficult to go to the Gabba and get the chocolates but I thought they’d be better than that.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/29/lack-of-intent-and-commitment-the-downfall-of-poor-and-timid-tigers/

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2023, 01:15:39 PM »
"Tthey were pretty poor"

:banghead what the?

They were pathetic, insipid and looked disinterested
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2023, 02:25:18 PM »
I’m not that disappointed by the result last night . It highlighted how far off the contenders we truly are .

I’m also glad that the club will not be seduced by short term success and may actually find the best coach for 2024 . The next “ Damien Hardwick is certainly more preferable than a Kmart version of DH .
Unleash the tornado

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »
Get games in the kids we're missing the opportunity this year we a never going to make finals what we won 3 in a row against middle of the road sides . Let's see who sinks or swims.Mini hasn't even debut one new kid yet mindset has to change.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2023, 04:08:02 PM »
Settled in to watch this game hoping for a cracker lucky for me kayo went down and i missed it.Needless to say i won't be watching it.

Just hope they wake up and finally prioritise kids.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2023, 04:24:59 PM »
Bauer should be played as a marking forward with the bonus of being able to shift him back if required. He provides a contest in the air and is a noted goal kicker. Banks is overdue and I am very happy with the way Brown is progressing as early days I was not so sure. He added size looks to have provided him the confidence required to hit contests which he wasn't doing before the injury. Big Soldo might also be worth playing as we are being smashed in the middle.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2023, 04:36:50 PM »
I watched our VFL boys today, don't bet on too many changes.  Bauer deserves a run in defence, Tresize & Coulthard did some nice things too ... but that is all folks! 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2023, 06:49:07 PM »
‘Everything goes wrong’ as Tigers ‘exposed’ in 7yr worst

“Where’s the physicality? Where’s the toughness, particularly through clearance?” David King asked on Fox Footy.

“Brisbane are going straight lines at the ball, Richmond are questioning whether they want to. That’s a harsh thing to say … they haven’t put their bodies on the line tonight for the cause.”

Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna added: “They’re half a step off. They’re slow to react and they’re getting absolutely exposed.”

Montagna said the Tigers “didn’t pay him (Neale) enough respect early”, adding: “It looked like Trent Cotchin tried to get to him once he started to get on top, but the damage was done midway through the second quarter.”

Montagna pointed out that since last year, the Lions are 14-2 when Neale has had nine clearances or more. When he has eight or less, the Lions are 14-10.

“How much of that is coincidence or how much is it influence? We don’t really know. But the stats are starting to stack up,” Neale said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/live-afl-2023-brisbane-lions-vs-richmond-tigers-round-16-live-scores-updates-stats-video-stream-result-news-blog/news-story/039be78da48c84154afcedbc06b47122

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2023, 06:50:24 PM »
Bribane forward Lincoln McCarthy has been banned for one game for striking Richmond's Kamdyn McIntosh during the Lions' big win over the Tigers on Thursday night.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/958892/match-review-lion-learns-fate-for-jumper-punch

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2023, 08:02:14 PM »
Bribane forward Lincoln McCarthy has been banned for one game for striking Richmond's Kamdyn McIntosh during the Lions' big win over the Tigers on Thursday night.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/958892/match-review-lion-learns-fate-for-jumper-punch

Right in front of the umpire but no free kick

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2023, 08:39:53 PM »

Right in front of the umpire but no free kick

Exactly  :banghead

I am not suggesting for a second that it would have made any difference to the result

But....

At that stage of the game we were still in it. It allowed Berry I think it was the easiest goal
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)