Author Topic: How many wins would be a pass mark for us in 2024?  (Read 5558 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: How many wins would be a pass mark for us in 2024?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2023, 12:39:57 PM »
I want competitive finals or bottom 4

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2023, 12:53:55 PM »
I don't really disagree, but when you say bottom 4 you mean you will be happy with 4-5 wins?  Again, I don't disagree with that as it could be a good thing for us, but I'll remind you of your wish if we do bottom out & you turn on them.
Competitive finals finish would be awesome, but I think its unlikely ...     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2023, 01:24:26 PM »
I don't really disagree, but when you say bottom 4 you mean you will be happy with 4-5 wins?  Again, I don't disagree with that as it could be a good thing for us, but I'll remind you of your wish if we do bottom out & you turn on them.

In order of preference:

Flag
Play kids & finals
Play kids & bottom 4
Play same olds & finals
Same olds & bottom 4
Kids & mid table (9th-14th)
Same olds & mid table
 :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2023, 03:30:53 PM »

I want a flag, so if they aren't playing finals a half a chance then we may as well secure a good draft pick

I love wins too but I don't see the point getting 8-11 wins and finishing 9-12th or so.

If we keep a healthy list I can see us having a go from 5-8th

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2023, 10:43:26 AM »
I’m just looking forward to the beginning of a new journey. It’s a new era , wins are irrelevant although I think we’ll be competitive.

Agree with this

Yze to implement his plan and find out who on the list we need to keep longer term.

With a big draft pick hand wins are irrelevant for 2024. Win a heap of games then the list is going places. If we finish mid table or lower then we have answers on some of the list and we can adjust the list through the draft and trade period.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2023, 12:04:33 AM »
Out with the old: How much experience has your club lost?

North Melbourne   1463 games
West Coast   1042
Richmond   1039 ........ Jack Riewoldt (347) and Trent Cotchin (306) make up 653 games of it.
Port Adelaide   765
Brisbane   730
Melbourne   729
Sydney   715
W.Bulldogs   678
Carlton   631
Geelong   607
Fremantle   525
St Kilda   462
Essendon   425
Adelaide   358
Gold Coast   347
GWS Giants   328
Collingwood   302
Hawthorn   161

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1057265/out-with-the-old-how-much-experience-has-your-club-lost

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2023, 07:03:19 PM »
Most of those in the footy media are predicting us to finish in the bottom 4.

https://twitter.com/watotiger/status/1734321622495166501/photo/1

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2023, 11:12:06 PM »
Finals or bottom 4  - no useless mid table finish. :shh
I agree winning 10 games is useless for us. We win 12 to 13 and make finals or bottom out. We need a pick 3 again.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2024, 12:50:04 AM »
2024 over/under markets via Sportsbet

Adelaide – 12.5
Brisbane – 15.5
Carlton – 13.5
Collingwood – 16.5
Essendon – 11.5
Fremantle – 9.5
Geelong – 11.5
Gold Coast – 10.5
GWS Giants – 14.5
Hawthorn – 8.5
Melbourne – 14.5
North Melbourne – 4.5
Port Adelaide – 13.5
Richmond – 10.5
St Kilda – 11.5
Sydney – 12.5
West Coast – 4.5
Western Bulldogs – 11.5

Richmond is the team that immediately stood out to Cornes, sitting at 10.5.

The Tigers won 10 games in 2023, dealing with the chaos that was Damien Hardwick’s departure from the club and Tom Lynch only playing four games.

Cornes doesn’t see Richmond improving in 2024 under new coach Adem Yze.

“Some of them really stand out to me and some of them are wrong,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“The market has got Richmond winning 10.5 games this year. Give me the under on that every day of the week.

“The prospect of Lynch playing 20 games is slim, Josh Gibcus is probably the same, Dylan Grimes is injured, Dion Prestia is always injured.

“I agree that if they can get their veteran players playing 20 games, but it rarely happens, unfortunately.

“10.5 wins for the Tigers, I think it’s going to be hard for them to get above 10.5.

“They won 10 last year. There was a lot of instability at the footy club, so new coach bounce perhaps, but if I’m just looking at it, that one was staring at me in the face that Richmond aren’t going to win 11 games this year.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/01/30/some-of-them-are-wrong-the-afl-over-under-win-totals-that-caught-kane-cornes/

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2024, 09:44:53 AM »
Excellent a statement from Cornes usually is wrong so 11+ wins here we come

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2024, 10:23:04 AM »
All depends on expectation and ones perception of where we are at.

If we go down the path of playing mostly older players then top 8 and 12 plus games has to be the aim.

If we prioritise games into kids which is what we should be doing then the bar has to be lower.

Biggest trouble is the lack of depth in key areas and the only way you build depth is by getting games into kids.
 Cornes ir right in a way it would not take many injuries to totally derail our season. If injuries do occur to the wrong players then bottom 4 is very much on the cards. That has to tell supporterswhere we are at.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2024, 10:42:37 AM »
Yeah Claw (WB!), right enough.  But I don't want to scrape into the 8 on a last gasp from a bunch of cooked spuds.  I'd prefer to back our youth (even if they aren't perfect) & have a crack at a new style this year. 
The worst we can do is to fail & bottom out, then we get a top draft pick or two & bring in some kids who can play the way we want them to.  Our senior players are good for guiding & supporting our new list but they shouldn't be relied on to push us up the ladder on their last legs.  That would be truly sad. 
I have no fear of a bottom 4 finish, it could be the best thing for us ... 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2024, 10:05:09 AM »
TIGERS FATE RELIES ON MARTIN AND LYNCH

By Michael Manley
The Sporting Base
February 9, 2024

There’s no more confusing team in trying to assess where they will finish than the Tigers.

If everything clicked under their new coach Adem Yze they could be premiership contenders. If the great era can’t be regenerated, then it’s likely to be a slow burn as they exit out premiership champions and try and find their replacements.

Dustin Martin finished last season in great form and he looks even fitter. If he can combine with Shai Bolton and Tom Lynch is fit that will provide a lot of headaches to opposition teams.

Last season in terms of accuracy Richmond was the worst kicking team in the competition with Martin and Bolton the leading offenders.

They also intend to play Noah Balta down forward and he is also an unreliable conveyance kicking for goal.

Tim Taranto won the best and fairest last year, and he leads their on ball contingent. His GWS teammate Jacob Hopper has finally had a pre-season which he should benefit from.

Their backline wasn’t the problem last year. They have picked up a great one on one defender in Tylar Young who complements Nick Vlaustin, Dylan Grimes, Daniel Rioli and Jayden Short.

Josh Gibcus will also return and Tom Brown, Sam Banks and James Trezise look promising young players.

If the likes of Grimes, Dion Presia and Jack Graham can have better seasons that will also be a big help.

FOR:
Any team which has Tim Taranto, Martin, Lynch and Bolton with a support crew of Dan Rioli, Jacob Hopper, Nick Vlaustin and Liam Baker has a lot going for it

AGAINST:
It’s still a mix of premiership players with unproven youngsters which doesn’t necessarily work.
Odds: $51

IS IT VALUE:
Yes. They showed their ability winning six out of seven games when Andrew McQualter replaced Hardwick mid-year. Tom Lynch back is huge.

https://thesportingbase.com/afl-tigers-fate-relies-on-martin-and-lynch/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2024, 10:06:37 AM »
Kane Cornes and David King have tried to predict whether each AFL club will win more or less games than their betting over/under line across the 2024 home and away season.

2023 record: 10-1-12

2024 line: 10.5 wins

Cornes’ verdict: UNDER

King’s verdict: UNDER

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/09/over-unders-cornes-and-king-go-head-to-head-on-2024-win-lines-for-all-18/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2024, 05:45:41 PM »
Richmond is going the other way; they’re probably not going to do a West Coast and stick with a premiership core for too long, and it’s worth noting they had a winning record as late as Round 19 in 2023 before losing four of their last five games.

But after being forced to rely on the now-retired Jack Riewoldt last season, they’re still sitting there with their fingers crossed Tom Lynch can get back fit, and Damien Hardwick’s exit said plenty about where he thinks this list is headed.

Perhaps Adem Yze can fix things quickly - changing the game style to get more out of Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper makes plenty of sense to us - and given who’s left here it’s hard to imagine the Tigers being properly bad. But being properly good also seems unrealistic.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-preview-team-most-likely-to-rise-from-nonfinalist-to-top-four-analysis-predictions-predicted-ladder-bottom-10-teams-latest-news/news-story/a92819790b058c0776e068d845e1f2e7