Author Topic: Rate a Tiger's year - Tylar Young?  (Read 2227 times)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rate a Tiger's year - Tylar Young?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 09:15:48 AM »
I must admit the knocks on Young I find extraordinary.

He's a kid playing KP back. In a backline where Grimes has been poor, Broad missed a chunk through suspension, Balta isn't someone I'd rely upon for guidance. I think his first year was exceptional considering.

Has plenty of growth so I hold no concerns of his areas of improvement.
Hes hardly a kid. He is 25 a mature recruit and while there is some room for improvement because of inexperience i dont think there is a lot of improvement left which while not always the case is generally what happens.

Not knocking him im just saying what i think. He is a good size and height but i think he is slow and lacks a bit of agility.I was also concerned about how to say it without firing people up how he fumbled and panicked at times.

Like Astbury who i felt we could have done better than even though he did a decent job i think at the moment the same way about Young.
We have a bloke who is a solid enough defender and can be played to negate i just dont see too much else.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 10:45:15 AM »
Didn’t play AFL for 9 years and only came back to the game in 2021.
I think we can conclude that there is significant scope for incremental improvement despite his age
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 03:58:05 PM »
I must admit the knocks on Young I find extraordinary.

He's a kid playing KP back. In a backline where Grimes has been poor, Broad missed a chunk through suspension, Balta isn't someone I'd rely upon for guidance. I think his first year was exceptional considering.

Has plenty of growth so I hold no concerns of his areas of improvement.
Hes hardly a kid. He is 25 a mature recruit and while there is some room for improvement because of inexperience i dont think there is a lot of improvement left which while not always the case is generally what happens.

Not knocking him im just saying what i think. He is a good size and height but i think he is slow and lacks a bit of agility.I was also concerned about how to say it without firing people up how he fumbled and panicked at times.

Like Astbury who i felt we could have done better than even though he did a decent job i think at the moment the same way about Young.
We have a bloke who is a solid enough defender and can be played to negate i just dont see too much else.

Such a load of BS, sorry dude but come on.

Dusty was 26 when he hit his prime.

Young turned 25 like 2-3 weeks ago?

There are stacks of examples of players improving after their early 20's.

You make it sound like they have until 21-23 and then that's the ceiling.

All players are different.

FooffooValve

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 04:02:32 PM »
Great stat that he was AFL top 5 for not losing 1 v 1 contests. It takes all types to make up an effective defence, and a lockdown tall is a handy asset. Should improve with another AFL preseason under his belt and a season in the experience bank.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 04:26:50 PM »
If he can develop into a reliable B grader that would be a win.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 04:56:43 PM »
I agree with Claw about his similarities to Astbury and that is exactly why I like the kid.
Like Astbury he is a solid negating key back who can take the occasional contested mark but mostly relies on the spoil.

Where i differ from Claw is that I think that is exactly what we need.
As rebounding defenders we have the other SIX - Rioli, Short, Balta, Broad, Vlastuin and Grimes (Gibcus)

We do not need anyone else to rebound with run.
Young is a good kick, can compete in the air and is building his strength in the contest and in his decision making.
He may not be very agile which leads to his rare defeats in the contest but that is usual for a key defender.

I watched the North game with a mate and he was critical for the same reasons as most here.
I pointed out my reasoning as here and he said he would just like him to take more marks.
He then took a strong contested mark and I replied that it was one he had to take.
He then took a few more strong contested marks and I simply nodded to my mate eqch time and he agreed with me by the end of the game.
Note that he was against Larkey who I think is the best CHF in the comp by a mile.
He is very similar to Astbury and will probably take a similar trajectory.
Even Tarrant when he was good was a very similar type.   

I'd rate his year a 6 or 7 like most here but expect him to improve that rating over the coming years, especially if we can afford a settled back line.l