Author Topic: 2024 AFL draft  (Read 31008 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2024 AFL draft
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2024, 07:48:53 PM »
Lalor or Smillie for me.

I want a tall, powerful midfielder. As close to Cripps or Bont as we can get.

Not keen on the 180cm guys tbh.

An RCD type you say?....

Do you think RCD got as much opportunity as Dow?

If rather be playing RCD this year.

11 games in 4 years.

Dow in his 5th year and has played more games in '24 than RCDs entire career and I don't think it's been worth playing him other than to decide he's due to be delisted.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2024, 07:52:48 PM »
They’re both poor players and wasted picks IMO.

My point was that we shouldn’t overate Smilie just because he’s a  ‘big body mid’ .

I think it can be a bit of a trap.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2024, 08:54:11 PM »
He'd be a good pick in the 20's.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2024, 11:26:52 PM »
FUTURE TRADING WATCH

CLUBS are expected to try to trade next year's first-round picks into this year's draft as recruiters grow more enamoured with the class of 2024.

Although there is no consensus on pick No.1 in this year's draft pool like Harley Reid last year, the depth of quality in the top 30 picks has clubs considering attempting moves to try to trade into this year's group using their picks in next year's pool.

The ability to trade two years in advance with draft selections, which is expected to be formally added to this year's exchange period in coming weeks, will also give clubs another chip to try and break into the top-end of the 2024 group.

The largely strong run of games in the Marsh Under-18 Championships and even group of prospects has scouts happy with the best 30 players available and depth compared to some recent seasons.

Josh Smillie and Finn O'Sullivan are still considered the most likely candidates for the No.1 pick, but the likes of Luke Trainor, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Bo Allan and Taj Hotton are also viewed as the top-10 contenders as well as Brisbane father-son Levi Ashcroft and Gold Coast Academy's Leo Lombard.

Tall prospects Jack and Matt Whitlock, Jobe Shanahan, Alixzander Tauru, Noah Mraz and Harry Armstrong are all also seen as potential later first-round selections.

– Callum Twomey

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1168815/inside-trading-new-deal-on-cards-for-star-dog-dee-in-talks-levi-test-case-looms

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2024, 11:31:19 PM »
RICHMOND​

The club’s draft rivals believe the Tigers are zeroing in on 194cm Eastern Ranges midfielder Josh Smillie.

The Tigers just inherited the No.1 pick – on current ladder position – from North Melbourne and will surely keep it, given they are injury-ravaged and the Kangaroos are rising with a bullet.

The Tigers would love the No.1 pick to be clear-cut and a Harley Reid type, but some recruiters still believe Smillie and Victorian mid Finn O’Sullivan are the best two kids, then a gap to the rest including Vic Metro mid Jagga Smith, Lions’ father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft and Victorian interceptor Luke Trainor.

The problem is that Smillie hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in his three under-18 games so far, with a clash to come against Vic Country on Sunday.

Smillie showed glimpses in a nine-clearance contest against Western Australia, but has 17, 22 and 20 touches in those U18 games and wouldn’t be a lock for All Australian honours.

So ideally he torches Vic Country, has an even stronger back-end to his season and makes it easy for the Tigers, who need more elite mids to help Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

What is the absolute best draft haul Richmond could secure if they wanted to maximise their draft hand? Right now they have pick 1, 21, 36 (Fremantle’s second-rounder), 39 and 41 plus a heap of back-end picks.

They could secure pick 10 to 13 for Baker and two first-rounders for Rioli, albeit the Roos one, which ends up at pick 28 to 30. So they could have pick 1, 8 (the Dogs’ first-rounder for Rioli), pick 12 (for Baker), 21, 28 (the Roos-end-of-first-rounder), 36, 39, and 41.

Those picks will shuffle around with father-son and Next Generation Academy picks, but it would give them three top-15 picks, five top-30 picks and eight selections within 41.

It’s a spectacular starting point for the rejig, restump and rewire under Adem Yze, even before unrestricted free agent Jack Graham considers his future.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/wreck-it-ralph-the-eight-teams-ripe-to-do-an-essendon-and-trade-up-or-split-first-round-picks-to-make-a-draft-raid-this-year/news-story/705726144ff72e9e8787861e7bd6f308

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2024, 03:24:50 PM »
Harry Armstrong looks like an exciting key forward. 195, agile, big booming kick, good below the knees and jumps at packs. Could be our man

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2024, 11:15:10 PM »
Jagga Smith highlights (25 disposals, eight clearances) from the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game on the weekend.

https://x.com/rfcswallace/status/1812757350169891022

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #112 on: July 15, 2024, 11:29:42 PM »
Our current picks:

1, 21, 34 (Freo), 39, 41 (WCE), 52 (Freo), 57, 63 (Coll), 66 (Port).

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl/afl-draft-order-2024/

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2024, 11:28:46 PM »
Jagga Smith highlights (25 disposals, eight clearances) from the Vic Metro vs Vic Country game on the weekend.

https://x.com/rfcswallace/status/1812757350169891022

Reminds me a lot of Connor Rozee. Couldn't go far wrong with Smith.

Personally always thought Smillie is perfect for the phase of the rebuild we are in. Big bodied midfielder, who looks likely to play 200-300 games for us. Get him in the first year of the build is perfect list management. Smillie and the best KP forward in the draft with our 2nd pick.
Go Tigers!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2024, 12:05:08 AM »
Smith's a stat padder like Lachie Neil..want premiership winners not Brownlow collectors... :shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2024, 03:08:02 PM »
Smillie not named in the AA squad....#slider :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2024, 05:47:55 PM »
I saw in Twitter or X as it's now known that one of Smillie or Smith will playing in our VFL side in the coming weeks

Unfortunately I can't find the post. It was mentioned on the Talking Tigers podcast this week

I'll try and dig it up
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2024, 06:14:59 PM »
I saw in Twitter or X as it's now known that one of Smillie or Smith will playing in our VFL side in the coming weeks

Unfortunately I can't find the post. It was mentioned on the Talking Tigers podcast this week

I'll try and dig it up

Smith:

SMITH TO GET VFL TASTE

TOP DRAFT prospect Jagga Smith will play for Richmond's VFL side over the next month after a stellar under-18 campaign for Vic Metro.

Smith was named skipper of the All-Australian team after captaining Vic Metro to its title win and has averaged 35 disposals for the Oakleigh Chargers this season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1174005/inside-trading-vic-clubs-trade-watch-on-port-star-big-race-for-giant-roo-hits-trigger

:shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2024, 06:47:35 PM »
No Smillie in All Aus squad. Have we ever had a Pick 1 not make the All Aus squad?

The more I see highlights the more I think we may take Jagga.
Go Tigers!

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2024, 07:02:33 PM »
Read somewhere that he is a local Richmond lad. Can anyone confirm this? If so no go home factor is a plus.
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....