Author Topic: 2024 AFL draft  (Read 31322 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2024 AFL draft
« Reply #360 on: September 16, 2024, 04:26:43 PM »
Some people are seduced by Jagga's stats and they seem impressive but there is very little hurt factor with the disposals.

How soon have we forgotten Dusty who with 20 disposals could single handedly turn games with his hurt factor.

Scully was producing similar numbers to Jagga but he went on to become a decent midfielder but I believe we can do better than Jagga with our 1st pick.

What were Dustys numbers at TAC level though?

Understand what you’re saying, and it defs has merit at AFL level, but I would be concerned in taking a mid who can’t seem to find it regularly at junior level.

Maybe dusty was the same, I’d have no idea, but even so we’re talking about one of the greatest to ever do it, so it’s a very unfair comparison.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #361 on: September 16, 2024, 04:32:59 PM »
Some people are seduced by Jagga's stats and they seem impressive but there is very little hurt factor with the disposals.

How soon have we forgotten Dusty who with 20 disposals could single handedly turn games with his hurt factor.

Scully was producing similar numbers to Jagga but he went on to become a decent midfielder but I believe we can do better than Jagga with our 1st pick.

What were Dustys numbers at TAC level though?

Understand what you’re saying, and it defs has merit at AFL level, but I would be concerned in taking a mid who can’t seem to find it regularly at junior level.

Maybe dusty was the same, I’d have no idea, but even so we’re talking about one of the greatest to ever do it, so it’s a very unfair comparison.

24.7d per game at TAC Cup level and 21.4dpg at U18 Championship level

https://afldraftinfo.blogspot.com/2009/10/dustin-martin-bendigo-pioneersvic.html

Honestly his profile sounds so devastating and ended up being the truth of his career - makes you wonder why Melbourne passed on him :D

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #362 on: September 16, 2024, 04:54:44 PM »
Wasn’t the typical clean cut private school kid.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #363 on: September 16, 2024, 05:35:58 PM »
Wasn’t the typical clean cut private school kid.

Probs didn't sit down with his dad to have a cheese board nomsayin'

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #364 on: September 16, 2024, 06:30:44 PM »
Still our primary KPP target last I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1bOY3csHPo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigfooty.com%2F

While we wait for the vids to drop for the weekend's games, let's go back a week to the quarter final where Jonty Faull played Robin to Hannaford's Batman as they booted 10 goals between them, Faull bagging 4.  He was a little more fumbly than he typically is, and most of his goals came from a touch fortune or being in the right place at the right time, but he was busy all game and presented as a critical target and outlet around the ground.

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #365 on: September 16, 2024, 08:21:45 PM »
Putting this here  as it means the kid has more of a chance of getting drafted (maybe  ;D)

From @RichmondVFL Twitter
Congratulations to Sam Davidson for taking home the 2024 @VFL Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal for the most promising young player in the VFL competition 🌟

https://x.com/RichmondVFL/status/1835619666645209250?t=h6pUAgZRFCRWbWZWR2z8Rw&s=19
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 07:21:57 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #366 on: September 16, 2024, 09:40:11 PM »
Hopefully not by us...VFL flat tracker....edit: didn't even make the VFL team of the year..... :shh
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 11:28:33 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: September 17, 2024, 04:47:09 PM »
Strongly rumoured to be our preferred choice at #1 pending combine results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x3FHW7428Q

This was a definite step up for Finn compared to his disappointing outing last week, much more influential and involved with the play, but unfortunately his Chargers went down to the Rebels, ending his season.  The Chargers only have themselves to blame for this loss, squandering countless opportunities, both from relatively easy goal scoring opportunities and some awful final balls into F50 with Finn himself responsible for a couple.  With the game on the line he took a brilliant mark deep in the forward pocket, but hit the wrong side of the footy on his attempted banana which proved to be the Chargers final chance to retake the lead.

Jack Ough -Yes that's his real name (pronounced "Oh" apparently - yeah I'd be at pains to say that too if I was him before suing the arse off my parents):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeYe38F25Js

The emergence of Jack Ough from a solid winger into one of the Talent League's most influential midfielders over the second half of the season has been impressive to say the least.  In any other draft he would be pushing his case to be a first round pick, but his size, footy IQ, clean hands at ground level, slick and quick handball in tight and a deft touch on his kicks make him a potential target anywhere outside of the first round.

Bo Allen looks the goods -  the WA sides would be all over him you'd imagine but jeez you'd be sorely tempted if he still on the board at  our pick between 9-15 that we should be getting for Rioli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfdh6gKx7zY

In this game Bo Allan was given a chance to play as one of Peel's primary onballers on the big stage of a prelim final.  It wasn't a prolific game for Bo, but he acquitted himself well and put together a few exiting passages of play to tease watchers with his immense potential.  The defensive side of the game is where Allan is most accomplished and impactful at this stage, and where he's likely to immediately contribute most strongly at AFL level.  His athleticism and physicality allow him to close space rapidly and lay powerful tackles, and he's diligent when playing the sweeping role on the defensive side of the contest.  The moments when he tucks the ball under his arm and bursts free of congestion before roosting a deep and penetrating left foot ball into the forward 50 are what get's everyone excited for what he might be capable of in the future.

:shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #368 on: September 18, 2024, 01:14:20 AM »
Jagga Smith will slowly become the likely number one pick for Richmond.

Richmond will find any solution to make sure they pair up Jagga Smith and Finn O’Sullivan together.

I’ve always believed, and still believe FOS is the better player, but I’d love the combination

-----

Richmond just believe that Jagga won’t be there at 3 or 6, what ever our second pick is, but believe FOS will be.

They just wanna prioritise security, rather then drafting the fancier player at one, which could affect their plans.

https://x.com/CameronHicks__/status/1835949306068750832

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #369 on: September 18, 2024, 07:20:06 AM »
Cameron Hicks, that's the dude that keep showing up in my twitter feed even though I don't follow him.

He certainly likes to hedge hid bets with his "predictions". Perfect example is Cumberland, said (and I'm paraphrasing) Richmond may offer him a 1year contract but I'm not saying they will but they might"  ::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Gigantor

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #370 on: September 18, 2024, 03:46:33 PM »
We talk a lot about the ability of players here as that’s all we can see
However I wonder how much clubs take into account about the right fit or character for their footy club

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #371 on: September 18, 2024, 05:00:15 PM »
FOS has the most class for mine.

Rumours we’re into Langford, has some nice attributes but seems a bit plodder like to me

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: September 18, 2024, 07:14:23 PM »
Word is FOS paired with Smith followed by Lalor & one of Arrmstrong & Faull is our goal...we're trying trying to get pick 3 and from there it all depends on who Norf take or who we think they'll take...or if thy decide to split pick 2...and we could be getting involved in that as well...pending trade week outcomes of course... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #373 on: September 18, 2024, 08:22:05 PM »
Word is FOS paired with Smith followed by Lalor & one of Arrmstrong & Faull is our goal...we're trying trying to get pick 3 and from there it all depends on who Norf take or who we think they'll take...or if thy decide to split pick 2...and we could be getting involved in that as well...pending trade week outcomes of course... :shh

Remind me Dio - Armstrong and Faull are the KPFs yeah?

Keen

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: September 18, 2024, 08:30:55 PM »

Remind me Dio - Armstrong and Faull are the KPFs yeah?

Keen

Correctomundo....

- Thomas Sowell