Author Topic: Everything new is old again  (Read 725 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Everything new is old again
« on: April 15, 2024, 02:48:52 PM »
Starting to feel like the late 80’s.
Leadership at club has not kept up with the competition.
*List management
*Strength and conditioning
*Player development
*Cap management
All look inferior to clubs like Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane and GWS.
Carlton aren’t far behind and honestly Dogs would be there but for their insatiable desire to persist with a coach who’s only real achievement was that he nailed a finals series 8 years ago.

Reckon there’s a few that have just been there too long and need to go. Like Richmond did the last time we sought and found the promised land through the 60’s - early 80’s.

I’m a fan of a broom through the club, rejuvenating the list, the conditioning, the player development (tackling, kicking and game sense have gone backwards) but most importantly all the senior off field roles from CEO to List Manager and Football manager. That’s the issue.

There’s too much made to excuse the symptoms without focusing on root cause.
Let’s jump on it now, and, unlike the late 80’s where it took 20 years to get our act together - we can hopefully get going again by the end of this decade.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline PremiershipClock

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Everything new is old again
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 03:00:44 PM »
people said this in round 22 2016.. wheel can turn quickly

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 03:05:49 PM »
But it won’t . Have a look at what Cats and Pies have done recently.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 05:21:16 PM »
Need another board challenge like 2016 to snap them out their complacency....#focusonfooty :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 08:17:46 PM »
2 weeks is a long time in footy .

One week we’re celebrating a gutsy win over Sydney- the next week we are back in 1987
Unleash the tornado

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 09:46:20 PM »
Unfortunately and I hope I am wrong but it looks like it is going to be a long season like 1989 where there was little joy

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 09:47:59 PM »
Unfortunately and I hope I am wrong but it looks like it is going to be a long season like 1989 where there was little joy

At least we won the u'19's that year..... :gotigers
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 10:39:19 PM »
2 weeks is a long time in footy .

One week we’re celebrating a gutsy win over Sydney- the next week we are back in 1987

Let’s look at the last 3 and a bit years, for good measure let’s compare it to the previous 4 seasons
We have gone from a win/loss of 73% to 44% - we all know that it will deteriorate by seasons end.

If you want a peek into our future, look at the Hawks who intervened way too late.
Clubs that I mentioned above have been far more proactive off field than us.

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2024, 06:16:53 PM »
How pathetic some people are...Very happy to celebrate the success, but drop off very quickly when that period finishes and we drop off the cliff. Yes, its very hard to watch, but, take small snippets of success from 2024. Tom Brown, Kane McA, etc....

This time was always going to come and here we are. Hardwick wanted to prop us up with Taranto/Hopper for another tilt, but is hasn't worked.

Strap on a hard one cos its going to get worse, before it gets better.

It's actually an exciting time to be part of the RFC. Seeing a rebirth happening, but it's a very slow process in the AFL.

Go Tigers....

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2024, 08:16:30 PM »

What have the pies done that is so great?

Both won flags recently well we’ve won 3. Pies elite young talent are who exactly? The daicos brothers who they got by having the brilliant idea of lucking out and having 1 of their champs have sons. After that who exactly are you envious of….. Crisp, Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Howe, Mihocek all the wrong side of 30. Even De Goey, Moore and Maynard are all 28+ this season.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2024, 05:17:39 AM »

Both won flags recently well we’ve won 3. Pies elite young talent are who exactly? The daicos brothers who they got by having the brilliant idea of lucking out and having 1 of their champs have sons. After that who exactly are you envious of….. Crisp, Pendles, Sidebottom, Mitchell, Howe, Mihocek all the wrong side of 30. Even De Goey, Moore and Maynard are all 28+ this season.

Pies snipped 5 established players to free up cap space ……

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2024, 06:05:43 AM »
How pathetic some people are...Very happy to celebrate the success, but drop off very quickly when that period finishes and we drop off the cliff. Yes, its very hard to watch, but, take small snippets of success from 2024. Tom Brown, Kane McA, etc....

This time was always going to come and here we are. Hardwick wanted to prop us up with Taranto/Hopper for another tilt, but is hasn't worked.

It's actually an exciting time to be part of the RFC. Seeing a rebirth happening, but it's a very slow process in the AFL.

Go Tigers....
You are 100% spot on, looking back we would have probably taken 1 flag and been happy, we had an amazing 3 flag run.
2016 I thought I would never see a flag!!

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2024, 07:47:54 PM »

So fixing mistakes that they had made themselves? They didn’t really free up cap space with that either, from what I understand they would have been over the cap had they not acted, that’s why they were giving players away for a packet of chips.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2024, 07:54:35 PM »

Go Tigers....
You are 100% spot on, looking back we would have probably taken 1 flag and been happy, we had an amazing 3 flag run.
2016 I thought I would never see a flag!!

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2024, 11:09:07 PM »

So fixing mistakes that they had made themselves? They didn’t really free up cap space with that either, from what I understand they would have been over the cap had they not acted, that’s why they were giving players away for a packet of chips.

They got rid of players who had a standing at the club that we would never have moved on. They now have cap space to go after big name players a year after winning a flag.
The Cats seemingly have a never ending amount of cap space for big name players every year or two and they are able to trade for players that are no good and come into their system and become effective role players. Their record on player development is a bench mark in the comp. Their strength and conditioning team are world class.  GWS are another who just get it right year in, year out. List management outstanding.

We won our 3 flags over 4 years, since then (after this year), 3 of those years outside the 8 and likely fall from 8th to 13th to bottom 4 this year. The trend is your friend.

Our results indicate an off field malaise beyond the new coach whom I feel sorry for.
Time to snatch the rent on a few of the more seasoned club staff and regenerate before we turn into lolnorf.

I am amazed people do not see that.

Being defensive about our current situation will only get sand in your hair.