Author Topic: Jacob Blight [merged]  (Read 4802 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Jacob Blight to debut this week [merged]
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2024, 03:49:18 PM »
Balta to Charlie, Miller to McKay
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2024, 06:29:43 PM »
Maybe miller to swing fwd when blight is on?? Or is there a chance that blight will go fwd??

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2024, 08:26:10 PM »
3 talls is ok more so this week than others

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2024, 10:01:25 PM »
Maybe miller to swing fwd when blight is on?? Or is there a chance that blight will go fwd??

Are you on drugs. What ever happened to good old common sense and logic?

We have two at the level key forwards. One is a champ the other is a mile behind him but is also a mile in front of any other key forwards we have. That is Balta. By the length of the flemington straight Balta is our second best key forward.

We have Ben Miller who has struggled in every other role we have played him and is finally finding his feet as a kpd. You want to send him forward!! Unbelievable.

We draft a 22 yo KEY DEFENDER  who has banged the door down since we have had him, and played state footy and has  played mostly kpd all his career and who is inexperienced at AFL level. What we just throw him  forward. Freakin why where is the sense in that.
Iknow where it comes from its a belief we cannot lose such a good defender. If it was 2025 id agree but its not. 2026 will also be different.

This year is totally shot. Balta is the second best key forward we have behind a 31 yr old. We have a shed load of young tall defenders waiting for a game, there is no Lynch so what is the problem.

Balta is easily atm the best kpf option we have. Playing him forward allows us to play a young inexperienced KPD  in the best role he knows.
Where the stuff does this sort of logic come from. Forget about this freakin year it is absolutely shot. Get games into promising kids in their actual best roles. Think about the next say three years when there will be no Lynch what is more luable and harder to find a kpd or a kpf ?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2024, 10:08:03 PM »
Whatever happened just posting an opinion without the need to throw in an insult and belittling someone offering an opinion?  >:(

And you harp on you don't insult or belittle unless someone has a go at you first. The above post proves clearly the opposite
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2024, 10:21:33 PM »
You’re a good fella Clawski

:sarcasm2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2024, 03:05:42 AM »
INSIDE STORY: Richmond debutant Jacob Blight’s meteoric rise after wanting to quit football over WAFL snubs

Caitlin Bassett
The West Australian
29 June 2024

Jacob Blight was struggling to get a game at a powerhouse Claremont side and nearly turned away from football as a result.

A move to Peel Thunder for the big-bodied defender changed the trajectory of Blight’s career, leading to an incredible path that will result in a debut for Richmond when they meet Carlton at the MCG on Sunday.

Paywall: https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/inside-story-richmond-debutant-jacob-blights-meteoric-rise-after-wanting-to-quit-football-over-wafl-snubs-c-15176733

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2024, 10:58:39 AM »

Are you on drugs. What ever happened to good old common sense and logic?

We have two at the level key forwards. One is a champ the other is a mile behind him but is also a mile in front of any other key forwards we have. That is Balta. By the length of the flemington straight Balta is our second best key forward.

We have Ben Miller who has struggled in every other role we have played him and is finally finding his feet as a kpd. You want to send him forward!! Unbelievable.

We draft a 22 yo KEY DEFENDER  who has banged the door down since we have had him, and played state footy and has  played mostly kpd all his career and who is inexperienced at AFL level. What we just throw him  forward. Freakin why where is the sense in that.
Iknow where it comes from its a belief we cannot lose such a good defender. If it was 2025 id agree but its not. 2026 will also be different.

This year is totally shot. Balta is the second best key forward we have behind a 31 yr old. We have a shed load of young tall defenders waiting for a game, there is no Lynch so what is the problem.

Balta is easily atm the best kpf option we have. Playing him forward allows us to play a young inexperienced KPD  in the best role he knows.
Where the stuff does this sort of logic come from. Forget about this freakin year it is absolutely shot. Get games into promising kids in their actual best roles. Think about the next say three years when there will be no Lynch what is more luable and harder to find a kpd or a kpf ?

The question came due to have 3 tall defenders. 3 tall defenders aren't required on the field the same time. My question was never about moving blight fwd permanent. I actually don't want any of them fwd. It is purely a comment based on playing 3 tall defenders. It was clearly stating that when miller and Balta are on, where should blight be played. And if he is permanently back should miller move fwd for a short stint or even into ruck?!

End of the day claw, why would you move Balta out of the backline when you are playing against the best fwd combo in the league. Balta is no way near a better fwd than defender and his strength and speed is required down back.

You carry on about moving a 22yo playing out of position and the next 3 years, but then it's ok to move Balta fwd out of position. He is just as lost as a young player when not in defense. He hardly gets into the game when fwd. I know the season is shot, but every player needs to be in their best position so they continue to grow and play along side their fellow defenders or midfield or fwd etc.

I guess the tigers are just going to have to learn to hit a target in the fwd line instead of bombing the ball in hope that Lynch, or Balta, or Kosi or Blight or whoever is tall and fwd can mark over every other player.

Whatever decision is made, let's just hope the team can gel together and make a game of it as we look fwd to the future.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2024, 12:15:43 PM »
Well said WP, I don’t understand why we can’t accept that someone else can have a different opinion to ourselves ,we  should  respect that others are entitled to have their own opinions without personal attacks!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2024, 05:47:20 PM »
Very positive first game. May have found a key defender here. Fingers crossed.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2024, 06:52:09 PM »
Blight's stats in his first game.

11 disposals (6k, 5h, 3c, 8u, 45.5% eff.)
3 marks
2 tackles
4 intercepts
105m gained
1 score involvement
84% time on ground.

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2024, 06:53:46 PM »
Looks promising, let's hope he doesn't get the tiger cancer

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2024, 07:41:08 PM »
Just a touch slow I thought but hopefully with some games he can pick that up. 
Solid first game

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2024, 07:43:26 PM »
Just a touch slow I thought but hopefully with some games he can pick that up. 
Solid first game
Closing speed was great, not slow at all. Just needs to adjust to the pace of the game , which he will

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2024, 07:48:05 PM »
Thought he was fantastic today. Playing on the best tall forward in the comp first up and doing what he did tells me we have a player.