Author Topic: Sheedy stays at the Dons  (Read 2909 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Sheedy stays at the Dons
« on: June 24, 2004, 09:37:17 PM »
Sounds like it after what Eddie just said on TFS.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

Re: Sheedy stays at the Dons
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 09:38:08 PM »
Yep, put us out of our misery early.

Bulluss

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 10:33:24 PM »
I am happy that we no longer will have to anticipate his return as our coach. I am sick of the crap that we go through everytime he is out of contract.

Bring on Wallace

froars

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:30:30 PM »
My greatest disappointment in footy is Sheeds not coming home - not because he chose Essendon, but the fact he didn't "want" to come back.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 11:47:19 PM »
Essendon is Sheeds' home froars. He barracked for them as a kid plus he has the bombers around his little finger. The best chance of getting him should've been at the end of 1997. Essendon had a crap year and some bomber people wanted him out while we had just sacked Walls. Instead we went for Geischen based on 4 wins from 5 meaningless games without bothering to look elsewhere.

If Sheedy ever came back to Richmond which he may one day after his coaching days at Essendon IMO it'll more as a mentor or off-field role. Never as a coach.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 12:00:23 AM »
I don't think he screwed us this time like he did the last contract negotiations teasing us that he might come back - i think he's been pretty quiet about the whole thing so we didn't get our hopes up or trying to get a better deal from the Bombers.  I'll give him that.

I just had the hope he might have seen our plight this time and seen what a great challenge it would be for him.  I can't see many challenges at the Bombers other than beating Jock McHale's record which i doubt he'll break.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Ox

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 12:22:43 AM »
Now..........................where is that box of tissues and tube of ky ?

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 07:50:02 AM »
Sheedy waits
25 June 2004   Herald Sun

THE waiting game continues. The Essendon board met last night and no formal decision was made about the future of coach Kevin Sheedy.

As reported in the Herald Sun on Tuesday, the Bombers are expected to agree to Sheedy's demand for a three-year contract as early as today.

The Bombers offered Sheedy, 56, a two-year deal two months ago, but that was shelved by the coach for several reasons.

In his 24th season at Windy Hill, Sheedy has coached the Bombers in 558 games.

froars

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 01:02:29 PM »
THE waiting game continues. The Essendon board met last night and no formal decision was made about the future of coach Kevin Sheedy.

No need for the tissues just yet, Ox - still hanging in there and hoping we get him.  He is a proven coach - if he can't get us going again i really don't think anyone will.

Here's a question for you all.  Say Casey managed to get Sheedy back to the club, do you think that would change ppl's opinion of Casey.  Would be a major coup for this club - something other administrations have not been able to do for 20+ years.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 01:28:19 PM »
Here's a question for you all.  Say Casey managed to get Sheedy back to the club, do you think that would change ppl's opinion of Casey.  Would be a major coup for this club - something other administrations have not been able to do for 20+ years.

Would no doubt change some opinions froars.  But others would need the Club to get back on a sound financial footing before they would change their minds about him.

Going off on a bit of a tangent here :P but, if nothing else, can’t say he hasn’t taken a few risks.  Some have worked, others probably not so.  In a way, I prefer that to the conservative approach that couldn’t take us anywhere.

I know things are in a hole at the moment, but at least this way, things get shaken up and stirred and you get to find out whether people are doing the job they were employed to do or just making up the numbers.

In the past, everyone was in a comfort zone because no one rocked the boat, which meant we didn’t go either backwards or forwards.  But things weren't uncomfortable enough to force things to change on any great scale.  What’s happening now is cause for serious change to occur, because everyone realises we can no longer avoid making the hard decisions.  This wasn’t the case before.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 01:33:05 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

froars

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 01:56:49 PM »
Is good to rock the boat, but not if there's nothing better to take the place of the incumbents.  Wish people would start putting their hands up - i'm getting mighty nervous that no-one of good calibre is wanting to have a go.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 02:47:15 PM »
It is pretty disappointing froars, but if that turns out to be the case then keeping things as they are and shaking things up will amount to the same thing.  At least this way we know there wasn’t anything better out there and people will be more likely to be supportive, knowing that.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.