Author Topic: Pick 1  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 1
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2024, 05:29:21 PM »
If we need to bottom out to secure high draft picks , then how do we explain the Swans and Geelong and to a lesser extent Port Adelaide who don’t bottom out but are always challenging
What do they do that we haven’t ?

Acquiring Cameron and Dangerfield is a huge reason.

That’s not really a reason though is it. You could say the same thing about us with acquiring Lynch and Prestia.

They do have the country Victoria factor that entices a lot of players from rural backgrounds as well as have gotten some gun father son picks.

I also wouldn’t consider them perennial contenders either. Between their 2011 & 2022 flags, they were mostly pretenders with a horrible finals record.

So… are you saying that acquiring lynch and Prestia weren’t big reasons for our dominance ?

We're saying you picked three of the worst examples of clubs you could have to make a point....one that 's been heavily advantaged by COLA and academies so nearly every draft is awesome for them regardless of where they finish, another kissed on the dick by father sons that also has a  geographical advantage & appeal that's unique in the competition and a third that's won nothing and has missed the finals 5 times under it's current coach who's been there since 2013... :shh

You must not have noticed I didn’t make the original post… instead I pointed out a main reason as for Geelong’s sustained success. No danger or Cameron and they wouldn’t have been the same. You can argue the reasons for why they attracted the 2 free agents but danger just wanted to go home, which can happen for any club. They got lucky.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2024, 05:32:56 PM »
My apolgies.... GigantOR, SimonatOR - easy mistake to make...... :moosegrin
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2024, 06:16:00 PM »
I wasn’t saying that Cameron or Danger acquisitions wernt reasons for their dominance. I may have just jumped into a thread mid convo and didn’t bother to read the full thing but I thought you were suggesting those acquisitions were a reason why they have managed not to bottom out so I compared it to our ones of a similar nature because that hasn’t stopped us having to do so.

I will also say this, I strongly believe the cats are on their way down. I know it may not look it on the ladder as it currently stands but they were 6-0 to start the season and have since gone 2-5. I just don’t see the elite young talent on their list that is going to propel them to their next flag. If I’m being honest though I have been saying this for a few years now and they have managed to stay in the top half of the ladder.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2024, 06:57:38 PM »
I wasn’t saying that Cameron or Danger acquisitions wernt reasons for their dominance. I may have just jumped into a thread mid convo and didn’t bother to read the full thing but I thought you were suggesting those acquisitions were a reason why they have managed not to bottom out so I compared it to our ones of a similar nature because that hasn’t stopped us having to do so.

I will also say this, I strongly believe the cats are on their way down. I know it may not look it on the ladder as it currently stands but they were 6-0 to start the season and have since gone 2-5. I just don’t see the elite young talent on their list that is going to propel them to their next flag. If I’m being honest though I have been saying this for a few years now and they have managed to stay in the top half of the ladder.

Until they somehow manage to entice Reid over...who'll be paid unders to play for his boyhood club while coincidentally buying some prime farmland with 1000 head of cattle worth almost as much if not more than his entire contract..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2024, 10:21:08 PM »
Don’t forget the free fords for him and every single person he’s ever spoken to.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2024, 12:30:30 AM »
History shows you don't need to do a North and be bottom 2 for half a decade to stockpile talent, but it does show high end drafted talent is part of every premiership team. In the last 20 years, WCE of 2018 are really the only exception to needing top 10 players drafted onto your list as part of the premiership reciepe. So you could argue without top 10 players you have a 1/20 chance to win a premiership, and that 1/20 has traded in top 10 drafted player. WCE being the exception of no top 10 player drafted into a premiership team had 2 x pick 11s, 1 x pick 13 and 2 top 10 players injured in Nic Nat and Gaff for the GF. So the exception to the rule of needing to draft in top 10 players to create a premiership side has a large asterix on it.

Examples:
Cats era had Bartel (8), Mackie (7), Selwood (7)
Hawks era had Buddy (5), Rough (2), Hodge (1)
Dogs Bont (4), Macrae (6)
Eagles Duggan (11), Sheed (11), Hurn (13) but traded in Kennedy (3) plus Darling (26) should have been pick 1-5 if he didn't have his off field issue pre draft.
Tigers had Martin (3), Cotchin (2), Vlastuin (9)
Dees Petrecca, Oliver, Salem
Cats Selwood (7), drafted in top 10 talent in Dangerfield (10), Rohan (6) and Cameron who would have been top 10 if he wasn't a pre selection by GWS.
Pies had Daicos (2), De Goey (5)

This is not to say we should finish last and tank all our games to get access to the best possible pick, as we will get a top 10 pick next year anyway, at worst pick 3. So you could argue it's negilible, however I like the idea of giving the most access to the pool of talent possible to increase the chances of nailing that top 10 player which is so important to our future success.
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2024, 02:14:29 PM »
If the Cats lose to the Blues they will go to a 1 win from their last 6 games with a game against the Bombers at the G to come.
Those bastards biggest leg up is the biggest home ground advantage of all clubs in the AFL. Always tough to beat with the crowd, the ground dimensions and the crappy weather layered over the weekly leg up they get from the umpires….
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2024, 10:54:28 PM »
Make that 2-6 for the club that never needs a rebuild

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2024, 11:28:32 PM »
Make that 2-6 for the club that never needs a rebuild

They’ve now lost 6 of their last 7 after an incredibly cushy first 7 weeks.
Have Bombers, Hawks and Pies so we are about to see where they really sit.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2024, 03:57:19 PM »
I hope we don't finish bottom as some have suggested I feel we don't need to. Look at the 2017 draft? Cam Raynor not a pick ones hole IMO. Id have Balta and TDK before him.

Knowing our luck we will finish bottom and pick 3 ends up being a superstar

Second or third last is fine. If it was 2023 the conversation would be different.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2024, 04:25:27 PM »
Yup. Don’t want the spoon. Plenty of drafts have been had where the best  player didn’t go no.1. I don’t follow the draft to any great length but I haven’t heard anything about there being a clear no.1 in this years anyway.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2024, 03:52:26 PM »
Norf leading the Suns at 3/4 time. The Roos will jump above us if they win.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2024, 04:23:00 PM »
Dimma still can't win at Marvel even with his new toys :whistle.

Anyway, we're now last holding pick 1.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2024, 04:25:48 PM »
With what seems a really strong draft, would anyone consider doing a North and trading pick 1 for 2 picks in the top 10?

E.g pick 2 and 6 (or whatever is equivalent)
Go Tigers!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2024, 04:26:29 PM »
The plan is working.