Author Topic: Trade, Keep or Move On? What should the Tigers do? (SEN)  (Read 550 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Trade, Keep or Move On? What should the Tigers do? (SEN)
« on: July 13, 2024, 04:12:08 AM »
TRADE, KEEP OR MOVE ON? WHAT SHOULD THE TIGERS DO WITH BAKER, MARTIN, BOLTON, RIOLI AND CO.?

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
12 July 2024

The Richmond Football Club is in somewhat of a precarious position.

The Tigers are languishing at the bottom of the ladder with just two wins under first-year coach Adem Yze and are facing an uncertain future with a number of key players out of contract.

Among those are Liam Baker and Dustin Martin while the likes of Shai Bolton and Daniel Rioli continue to be linked with rival clubs.

SEN Breakfast’s David King and Kane Cornes want to know how the Tigers will go about regenerating and rebuilding for future success now that they have fallen following their recent three-premiership era.

There are a number of players who have question marks on their Richmond futures and King was keen to pick Cornes’ brain about who should stay and who should go.

“I’m going to throw some names at you to stay, go, sell or continue their contract,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“Shai Bolton - sell him or keep him?”

Cornes put forward his response, but was quick to preface it by insisting that he hasn’t yet delved into the 2024 draft class and potential compensation the club would receive if they were to trade Bolton who is contracted until 2028.

“I just want to preface this - we’re doing this flippantly,” said Cornes.

“I haven't seen the draftees coming through, I don't know how strong the draft hand is, so I just want to put that on the agenda. I also don't know what the compensation for someone like Shai Bolton would be.

“But if you can get inside the top 10 for Shai Bolton, plus something else, you'd have to think about it really seriously.”

King continued, wondering what the Tigers could receive from Fremantle if they were prepared to package Baker and Bolton together.

He added: “Baker and Bolton together to Fremantle - and this is this has been floated because Freo have got three first-round picks in this upcoming draft - would get you Picks 10, 13 and 16.

“You'd also get a future first-round pick in next year's draft, which will be late because you'd think Freo would be successful if they got those two.

“That would effectively be four picks. If you're Richmond, would you do that today?”

Cornes: “Yes, I would do that today because Baker's leaving anyway, he's out of contract, so you're a bit hamstrung with what you're going to get.

“There's the risk that he could go to West Coast for nothing. There is always that threat for him. So, yes, I would do that.”

King: “Why would Baker go to West Coast right now?

“It would be a staggering move to choose them over Fremantle. I don't understand that.”

The pair then discussed three-time Norm Smith Medallist Martin, who is also out of contract this year, and Rioli who has also reportedly been on the radar of the Gold Coast Suns.

King: “Daniel Rioli, would you sell him to the Gold Coast?”

Cornes: “Absolutely.”

King: “Would you pay some of his wage in your cap pre-trade?

“So send him up there and pay half of his wage to try and get those two first-rounders from the Gold Coast.”

Cornes: “Yes, I would, because the salary cap at Richmond is not really going to matter.

“Dustin Martin's money is going to come off that. I would also retire Dustin Martin. I would move on from that.

“You can't have this distraction of someone who appears not to be motivated and not desperate to play and lead this group.

“He may go, but I would be having that hard conversation. There's no way you would sign Dustin Martin if you're Richmond for a couple of years.”

In conclusion, King feels Richmond must move on these big-name players in order to “turbocharge” their rebuild by stockpiling young players via the draft.

King said further: “So I want to find out - are they the tame Tigers, or are they ruthless Richmond?

“I’m selling Bolton and Baker to Freo now and getting those four picks coming in.

“I’m selling Rioli, and if the Suns want Martin, we'll pay some of his wage, but we want that pick 20 that you got as a North Melbourne concession.

“So if they did all of that, Richmond at the moment have got Pick 1 and 21. They would end up with something like 1, 7,8, 10, 13, 16, 20 and their own 21 and a future first coming in.

“That is how you regenerate. That is how you start this rebuild. It's akin to a new franchise. It's like starting the GWS Giants again.

“I think Yze needs to do this, and the club needs to do this. Don't worry about the rebuild coach, he ain't going to survive anyway.

“So make the decision as a football club that this is an insta-rebuild, it's on turbocharge.

“I think it's a no-brainer for Richmond to get busy moving these players on.”

Decision will also need to be made on players over the age of 30 such as Dion Prestia, Dylan Grimes, Kamdyn McIntosh and Marlion Pickett.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/12/trade-keep-or-move-on-what-should-the-tigers-do-with-baker-martin-bolton/

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Trade, Keep or Move On? What should the Tigers do? (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2024, 08:51:06 AM »
TRADE, KEEP OR MOVE ON? WHAT SHOULD THE TIGERS DO WITH BAKER, MARTIN, BOLTON, RIOLI AND CO.?

“I’m selling Bolton and Baker to Freo now a“So if they did all of that, Richmond at the moment have got Pick 1 and 21. They would end up with something like 1, 7,8, 10, 13, 16, 20 and their own 21 and a future first coming in.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/12/trade-keep-or-move-on-what-should-the-tigers-do-with-baker-martin-bolton/

This sounds like an unfortunate but good idea.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2024, 06:50:24 AM »
Don’t put your eggs in one basket. Bad idea to invest that heavily in one draft. Need to spread it out over a few

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2024, 10:07:08 AM »
Draft picks don’t guarantee good selections, Blair and the boys are likely to recruit a whole lot of back flankers again and we have then lost 2 guaranteed very good players and got a whole lot of list cloggers in exchange .
An orderly transition will get the best results imho

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 10:13:01 AM »
Don’t put your eggs in one basket. Bad idea to invest that heavily in one draft. Need to spread it out over a few

Happy to spend our over two years but we need to move before the Tas compromised drafts.

Drafts are never as good or bad as the articles say.

There is always quality.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 03:26:56 PM »
Of our older players say 28 and older at the start of next year you would not be too wrong if you said only Vlaustin is performing.

Vlastuin - 31. Only 28 plus yr old who is performing. Two yr contract max.
Short  29. has been horrid for two years and you dont build lists with his type. Wont get a lot but trade. May help in bundling picks up.
Lynch - 32 love the big fella but at 32 if we could get a decent pick id take it. probably only got two years left in him anyway. Trade
Naismith - 32 feel for the bloke but one injury too many. If he plays on keep him in the vfl team. Retire/Delist
McIntosh - 31 simply has never been high quality he is taking games away from kids imo. Delist.
Pickett - 33 Similar to McIntosh neither are the future Delist.
Broad - 31. Had a very poor year but think he still has something left in the tank. One yr Contract
Grimes - 33. Has already checked out. Retire.
Prestia - 32. Because of midfield depth i would keep him next year. Hopefully we can get him fit. One yr contract.
Martin - 33. If he wants to go let him go. Imo i think he should retire. If neither and he wants to go around again keep. Trade/retire.

Theres six of the oldies either delisted retired or traded gone. They are all possibly gone within two seasons anyway.

The key age group 24 thru 28 im hanging onto as many as possible if warranted. We need this group around to guide what kids we draft over the next three or four years.

Baker it seems is going to WA. lets get the best deal possible for us. Trade.
Taranto 27 new captain.
Rioli - 27 excellent running player who has lots of experince now. can we afford to lose too many of the better ones in this bracket. keep
Kossie - 24 Probably not high standard must keep for now.
Balta - 25 clubs will come for him while we bottom out must reward and get on a long term contract.
Hopper - 28. Again we need that midfield depth and help for kids coming thru.
Bolton - 26 We don't have many A graders we need to keep him.
Mansell - 24. Just not good enough would delist if possble.
Ryan - 24 As they say the big blokes take longer he needs to hurry up. keep and review in yrs time.
Cumberland - 24 time is up Delist.
Colina - 25 what a farce this has been. Delist
Lefau - 26 Showed some great signs has a long way to go though. Would be tempted to play him as a big mid keep.
Young - 26 Servicable player. Miller gone past him Blight looks a better prospect and Gibcus to return.  superfluous to needs depth only 1 year.
Miller - 24 still needs to be better one v one but has done enough. Keep.
OH-B - 24 Showing a little bit one more year keep.

Three delistings and one forced trade thats 4 gone. So far as many as ten gone.
Our problem not a lot of high quality to lead the kids who are coming. Bolton Balta Taranto maybe baker yet people want to trade two of them out.
Normally would keep  juniors seperate but 19 thru 23 will do.

MRJ - 22. People hate me saying it but so far he has been average. A lack of smalls coming on has me keeping him for one year. Keep.
HRS - 23. Not sold despite some improvement. If a club came sniffing id trade him. Atm one year keep.
Gibcus -22 Looks like a top prospect we need him to stay fit. long term contract.
Clarke - 21 Injury has probably saved him from the blow torch. Only one year with longer option if he meets criteria keep.
Coulthard - 23 For his type i think age 23 and not done enough despite some injuries. Delist
Dow - 23 just not up to standard delist.
McAuliffe - 20 still a baby keep.
Brown - 21 showing good signs keep.
Trezise - 22 unlike others here i like the look of him. Has not played a lot of footy still a baby in many ways. keep.
Fawcett - 19 still a baby keep
Sonsie - 22 Imo has a make or break season coming keep.
Banks  - 22 have grave concerns he is so outside. will leave it at that. Has a year to improve keep.
Bauer - 22 has shown plenty of good signs keeps copping injuries  keep.
Green - 21 still a baby but i don't see it. one more year  only because we obviously are not going to delist so many. keep
Smith - 20 still a baby Keep
Blight - 23 Shown more than enough to keep.
Gray - 21 still a baby keep.

All up 12 to go  could do more and could do others but 10 or 12 for a rebuilding team is about right.

Cutting/trading those who definately won't be there and some who simply are not up to it.

The dilemma do we trade out what quality we do have in the 24 thru 28 age group.
Imo we need to be looking at three drafts so for me future 1st rounders are the go. Target some young players who were high draft picks and are not getting games for some reason. Plenty of these types going for peanuts. Can always value add with state league types. There will be free agents we can take who will at least be upgrades on types we have.

If we sell the farm people need to remember it takes a long time to get  a group of kids to 80 100 gamesbe prepared to be well nm or the eagles for years.