Author Topic: VFL R17: Richmond vs Williamstown @ Point Gellibrand Oval, Sat. July 20  (Read 1924 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
What was the final free kick count? 44 total up to 3 quarter time is an absurd number. Seems like the umps couldn’t wait to blow the whistle and get some tv time for themselves.
51 frees in total.
Us 23
Willy 28

Ridiculous. Atleast double what would be a reasonable amount for a game.

Ever been to a game at Willy on a windy day?

Blows a gale like no other .. resulting in a lot of play in one quarter of the ground .. makes it extremely congested with a ton of stoppages etc

Teams will very rarely touch the dead side of the ground

This situation results in far more free kicks than normal

Correct Damo

I didn't go but just watching the feed you could see the howling gale right to left on the screen.

And have to add, the ground lighting was poor. I know it was VFL not AFL but it was sub standard
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
If anything that's probably a below average free kick count for a match at Willy on a wet & windy day.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VFL Report: Round 17

Richmond VFL coach Steve Morris provides a summary of how the Tigers’ players performed in last Saturday’s loss to Williamstown at DSV Stadium.

Jagga Smith (31 disposals, 18 contested possessions, five marks, six rebound-50s, three inside-50s, three tackles, eight clearances)

“It was his first game at the level, and he certainly did not look out of place. He amassed 18 contested possessions from his 31 disposals on the night and had eight clearances. It was a tough game to mark him on, but a great start in Richmond colours.”

Lachlan Wilson (30 disposals, 20 contested possessions, three marks, three rebound-50s five inside-50s, 17 tackles, 13 clearances)

“Lachy had 30 disposals, 13 clearances, and 17 tackles. He gave absolutely everything inside the contest and that's what we've come to expect from Lachy. So far, he's having an outstanding season.”

Joel Garner (26 disposals, 18 contested possessions, six inside-50s, seven tackles, five clearances, seven hit-outs)

“Joel gave his all in both the ruck and in the midfield. He battled away hard in horrible conditions, and I felt as though his leadership was really important.”

Cam Olden (19 disposals, three marks, 11 tackles, five clearances, one goal)

“Cam was able to get a couple of scoring opportunities and battled away in the midfield all night on what was a tough night.”

Tom McCarthy (17 disposals, four marks, five inside-50s)

“I thought he had some really important moments down back. He's really building in this area and will continue to do so over the coming weeks.”

Mutaz El Nour (16 disposals, eight contested possessions, three marks, six rebound-50s, five tackles)

“Once again, I thought Mutaz had a really solid contribution on the night. He's such an important part of our team and he's thriving as a leader down back.”

Nick Guiney (16 disposals, 10 contested possessions, three marks, three rebound-50s, five inside-50s, three tackles)

“Nick played a little bit more on the wing on the weekend. We know he can play both down back and on the wing, and he's just such a solid contributor for us.”

Jacob Blight (15 disposals, three marks, eight rebound-50s, four rebound-50s)

“Jacob had some really important moments in the second half in particular. I thought he started a little bit slowly, but built into the match nicely and showed great leadership.”

Matthew Clarkson (15 disposals, three marks, six tackles)

“Matthew played our system really well in defence. He's having a really good month and it's good to see him getting some reward for the effort that he puts into his game.”

Jacob Bauer (14 disposals, five rebound-50s, three inside-50s)

“I thought Jacob was a real focal point for us up forward and finished beautifully on two occasions in front of goals. He was also really important for us down back when we kicked into the strong wind.”

Austin Johnson (12 disposals, five inside-50s, four tackles)

“It was a difficult night for Austin, and he probably didn't have the impact that he has been having over the past couple of weeks. But looking forward to seeing his best footy this week.”

Matthew Coulthard (12 disposals, four marks, four inside-50s)

“It was a tough night for small forwards, but I couldn't question Matty's endeavour and his commitment to the team on the night.”

Thomas Brindley (12 disposals, six contested possessions, four rebound-50s, four hit-outs)

“He started down back and had to go into the ruck in the second half at different stages when Ollie Hayes-Brown went down, which is probably something that we might need to look at in the coming weeks.”

Harry Broderick (nine disposals, six contested possessions, three tackles)

“Harry battled manfully up forward in what was a tough night for small forwards. He's one player that we know can also go down back and help us there as well.”

Ry Cantwell (eight disposals, four contested possessions, two marks)

“I thought we saw Ry’s Speed on show a number of times, and I'm looking forward to seeing that in the coming weeks in better conditions.”

Harrison White (seven disposals, two rebound-50s, three tackles)

“I thought Harry played his role pretty well on the night. It was just not one of those nights that favoured those small forwards much at all.”

Sam Davidson (seven disposals, three inside-50s, six tackles, four hit-outs)

“He's been up for a long time and he probably didn't have his best game on the weekend, but he absolutely tried his backside off and I thought he really offered something in the ruck late in the game when we tried something different.”

Josh Pollocks (six disposals, four contested possessions, two marks, one goal)

“I thought Josh tried hard but he always seemed to be outnumbered in big packs on the night, but he was able to kick a goal and hit the scoreboard.”

Liam George (six disposals, three contested possessions, one mark)

“Liam struggled to get into the match and have any real impact. He was playing in a position that we really struggled to get the ball to, and that hurt his chances to impact the game.”

Mohammad Yassine (six disposals, two inside-50s, one goal)

“Similar to (Liam) George, he was a part of that small forward group that just really struggled to have any meaningful impact on the game. What he did kick is one of the most amazing goals you'd see at this level from about 70 metres out, kicking with the breeze.”

Nicholas Collier (five disposals, three contested possessions, five tackles)

“Nick did all that was asked of him in his running patterns but didn't get the reward that we would have hoped he would get on the night. He still battled away hard with five tackles to try and keep it in our forward half.”

Oliver Hayes-Brown (four disposals, four contested possessions, 18 hit-outs)

“He had a quiet first half for his standards, and I thought Tom Downie got on top. It's a great lesson for him up against an experienced ruckman. Unfortunately, he went down with a head knock just before halftime and played no further part, and has entered concussion protocols, but we're looking forward to having him back after the bye.”

Liam Thomas (one tackle)

“Liam is another one that really struggled to impact the game, both up forward and in the ruck. He’s a developing tall that we know will be better with time.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1609391/vfl-report-round-17

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
What’s happened to Scott? We now hiding him for the draft.