Author Topic: AFLW: Richmond vs Melbourne @ Casey Fields --- Round 8, 2024  (Read 752 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: AFLW: Richmond vs Melbourne @ Casey Fields --- Round 8, 2024
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2024, 02:56:29 PM »
Absolutely diabolical umpiring.

I’m wondering if we complained after last week and the AFL HQ has put the word on the umpires to crucify us.

Can be the only explanation for such one sided umpiring

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2024, 04:42:24 PM »
So true about our backs. Graham was absolutely deplorable today. My fav Seymour was soundly beaten and Miller seemed unsighted after a pretty good first quarter. No one was able to stop Zanker that killed us in the air.

Bannan was unstoppable.

In the middle was we're just beaten by a side that wanted it far more. Their tackling and pressure was elite.

Our skills were poor but I think it was their pressure that was a major factor.

I think the dees had a really good game.

We didn't.

Agree re Melbourne's pressure it was elite and without question their attack on the footy and game showed they wanted it more

But I don't think we did ourselves any favours at times with the constant give it to Mon Conti, it'll be right, she'll get us out of trouble play

I read earlier in the thread Mr OE asked what was our game plan, I can honestly say being there I had no idea. Overall it was a crap day.

Maybe it's the jumper design.  :help

What the heck was that about? 

It looked terrible and not even like a Richmond jumper.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2024, 12:32:31 AM »
Dees topple Tigers

By Phoebe McWilliams
AFL Media
20 Oct 2024

MELBOURNE       3.1   4.1   5.3   8.3 (51)
RICHMOND         2.1   2.2   2.5   5.8 (38)

GOALS
Melbourne: Bannan 4, Gall 2, Zanker, Hanks
Richmond: Greiser 3, Sheerin, McKenzie

BEST
Melbourne: Bannan, Purcell, Hore, Zanker, Gall
Richmond: Sheerin, Conti, McKenzie, Greiser, Kelly

INJURIES
Melbourne: Nil
Richmond: Brennan (ankle)

Reports: Nil

Crowd: 2,026 at Casey Fields

-----------------------------

Three final-quarter goals from Caitlin Greiser in the final minutes wasn't enough for Richmond to catch Melbourne, as the Tigers went down by 13 points at Casey Fields on Saturday.

Star Demons forward Alyssa Bannan continued her outstanding form, kicking a game-high four goals to help her side to the 8.3 (51) to 5.8 (38) win.

Melbourne has now won its past four matches after a slow start to the season when its list was ravaged by injuries. But with their injured players slowly returning, the Demons look stronger each week as they edge towards a finals berth, currently sitting ninth on the ladder with two rounds remaining.

For the Tigers, the loss is just their third for the season with the team sitting comfortably inside the top eight. Richmond, however, be sweating on the health of captain Katie Brennan, who left the field in the second quarter with an ankle injury.

Both sides entered the game on winning streaks, with Richmond having won its past two matches and Melbourne on a three-game roll, with a fierce opening term setting the tone of the match.

The Tigers had the slight ascendency early, kicking the first goal of the game through star midfielder Eilish Sheerin.

But the Dees responded, kicking two goals in quick reply through Bannan, who has found form in the second half of the season, and up-and-coming forward Georgia Gall.

A spectacular run and carry goal from Ellie McKenzie, which will no doubt be a NAB AFLW Goal of the Year contender, brought the game back on level terms with the former No.1 draft pick bursting out of a pack of players, taking three bounces and slotting the goal with class, pace and composure.

But Richmond coach Ryan Ferguson would have been furious when the Demons scored their third goal for the quarter in red time, with less than a minute remaining on the clock.

The second quarter was tightly contested, with neither team able to score a major until 13 minutes into the term when Melbourne's Eden Zanker took a mark on the goal line and converted from close range.

Injuries struck the Tigers when two of their most experienced players, captain Katie Brennan and hard-nut Sarah Hosking, coming from the ground with ankle and knee injuries, respectively.

Hosking returned to the field in the second half, but Brennan was ruled out for the game.

Melbourne's mids lifted through Liv Purcell (24 disposals, 16 contested possessions), who is still wearing her protective face mask, and captain Kate Hore (22 disposals, six clearances).

The Dees continued their dominance into the final term, adding three further goals through vice-captain Tyla Hanks, Bannan and Gall.

Greiser's flurry of three goals in the final term got Tigers fans excited, but it was too little too late, with the Demons walking away convincing winners.

Up next
Richmond takes on Essendon in the AFLW Dreamtime match at TIO Stadium in Darwin on Saturday night.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1680798/dees-topple-tigers

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2024, 12:51:35 AM »
Team stats:

Disposals     234 - 234 .... ( contested: 126 - 113 ; uncontested: 117 - 115 )
Efficiency%    60 - 68
Kicks           123 - 140
Handballs     111 - 94
Turnovers      58 - 68
Marks            35 - 37 .... ( contested marks: 6 - 7 )
Tackles          66 - 87
Clearances     29 - 33 .... ( centre: 9 - 5 ; stoppages: 20 - 28 )
Inside 50s      36 - 35
In50 eff.%      39 - 40
In50 marks     12 - 3
In50 tackles    17 - 9
Hitouts           24 - 44
Bounces           4 - 2
One %ers       21 - 29
Frees               6 - 20 

Individual possies

Sheerin   30 ..... (19 contested), 10 cl (5cc), 7t, 9in50, 604m gained, 7int, 4 score inv, 1 assist, 1 goal.
Conti      27
Dempsey 16
Lavey      16
Kelly       15
Egan       13
Dallaway 12
Hicks      12
McKenzie 12
McClelland 11
Lynch       9
Seymour  9
Ford        8
Greiser    8
Miller      8
Shevlin   7
Bacon    6
Hosking 5
Graham 4
Brennan 3
Yassir    3

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/matches/6870#player-stats

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2024, 08:37:20 PM »

It is the Club's 2024 Pride Guernsey. The AFLW has pride round every season

Pride round was actually the previous week; our game against Geelong

But the Club asked to wear it again this week in support of one of our players who copped some of the most disgusting, abhorrent abuse on line on various social media platforms. I will not go into the details here as you don't have to look very far to find it.

Now before people start thinking about defending the Keyboard Cowards....

Understand it wasn't just homophobic vitriol towards the player but abuse directed at their family. Some of the cowards went as far to drag a small innocent child into their abuse. To do that is as low as you can go I would have thought..

So please don't try and defend the indefensible. If my stand on this makes people want to label me a leftist wokeist so be it. In this instance I will wear that badge with honour

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2024, 09:53:48 PM »
I missed the game but on the surface having almost double the scoring shots but not converting enough into goals was an issue
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 12:10:17 AM »
Monique Conti and Ellie McKenzie have been fined by the Match Review Officer following Saturday's match against Melbourne at Casey Fields.

Charges laid:

Monique Conti, Richmond, has been charged with making careless contact with an umpire (fixed financial sanction) during the first quarter of the Week 8 match between Richmond and Melbourne at Casey Fields on Saturday, October 19, 2024.

In summary, she can accept a $100 sanction with an early plea.

The incident was classified as a $200 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $100 sanction with an early plea.

Ellie McKenzie, Richmond, has been charged with engaging in a melee/wrestle (fixed financial sanction) during the fourth quarter of the Week 8 match between Richmond and Melbourne at Casey Fields on Saturday, October 19, 2024.

In summary, she can accept a $100 sanction with an early plea.

The incident was classified as a $200 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $100 sanction with an early plea.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1682432/

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 02:04:20 PM »

It is the Club's 2024 Pride Guernsey. The AFLW has pride round every season

Pride round was actually the previous week; our game against Geelong

But the Club asked to wear it again this week in support of one of our players who copped some of the most disgusting, abhorrent abuse on line on various social media platforms. I will not go into the details here as you don't have to look very far to find it.

Now before people start thinking about defending the Keyboard Cowards....

Understand it wasn't just homophobic vitriol towards the player but abuse directed at their family. Some of the cowards went as far to drag a small innocent child into their abuse. To do that is as low as you can go I would have thought..

So please don't try and defend the indefensible. If my stand on this makes people want to label me a leftist wokeist so be it. In this instance I will wear that badge with honour

You can wear whatever badge you like
Wear it with pride

Still don’t know why the AFLW feels the need to have a “Pride” round at all

And now Richmond AFLW are doing it again lol 😂

That’s a 5th of the season spent in a “pride” jumper

I get that 90% of the comp is Lesbian , but for goodness sakes

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 04:30:44 PM »
I did a google, really liked the jumper - perhaps make the yellow a bit longer but the idea was good. Bit like the indigenous ones, the creativity coupled with a subtle but effective message is both powerful and also great for merch sales
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 05:04:06 PM »
Can't wait to see what they do with Tassie pride jumper.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.