Author Topic: Sheeds  (Read 5446 times)

froars

Sheeds
« on: June 25, 2004, 08:15:04 PM »
If i was a journalist and was interviewing Sheeds, I would ask one question:  Have you been approached by Richmond to coach them?  ;)

Has the media asked him this?  We have no feedback from the club, and nothing really to know one way or the other if our club is making every effort they can to secure him.

Stuff Danny having a contract and that would be bad form to ask Sheeds while Danny is still there.  The club would not be doing right by the supporters if they weren't pursuing every angle to get the best available coach. 

Be interesting to hear Sheeds' story after he decides what he wants to do.  If RFC hasn't even bothered to appoach him, i would not like to be Casey - I'd be getting out of town quick.

Bulluss

Re: Sheeds
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 08:44:07 PM »
I am sick of hearing about bloody Sheedy, i hope he resigns so that we can get on with what we want to do and get our own Coach.

If he really wanted to come, he wouldnt have even discussed his coaching contract with the bombers until after the season had finished.

froars

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 08:49:43 PM »
That's not what i'm getting at Bully.
I want to know if the club are doing everything in their power to get the best available coach. 
A bit hard to type this when i'm laughing me head off at Richard Champion singing national anthem lol  ;D

Bulluss

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 09:18:17 PM »
Champion was a classic,

I doubt that the club has really seeked Sheedy's services, and when you really look at it i dont think he would be the best coach for us. Wallace is in my opinion, he can come in and make us competitive from day 1 while Miller is behind the scenes rebuilding our list to be the force of the AFL.

If Terry Wallace was our coach this year, we would currently be in the 8.

froars

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 09:19:53 PM »
And what if Wallace decides to go to Adelaide, then we're left again with what's left.  Got to speak to all available options, and Sheeds is available up until he signs his new contract.

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 10:12:15 PM »
I heard Scotty Palmer being asked that very question you posed froars, this evening and to his knowledge (not thats its worth alot) said that the RFC had made no formal approach or offer to kevin during his current negotations with the bombers.

Palmer made some reference to the fact that there were some informal approaches by individuals but couldn't or wouldn't elaberate any further.

If the former "is true" then this would be negligent in the extreme.  Surely the last gasps of a dying administration should have laid down a formal offer in the hope of luring him. If it failed ...  well fair enough. The club could at least say it made every geniune effort to lure him even if it failed.

But if Palmer is correct then this administration should lined up and shot.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 10:23:31 PM »
Essendon have got in early to secure Sheeds. Even if Danny said he was quitting it'd be hard for Sheedy to now say he's off to Punt Road with 9 weeks plus finals to go. 

No matter who our new coach is next year we as a club have to decide if we want to scrape into the eight and remain in the land of mediocrity or (re)build our list into a premiership threat. Even if we had Sheeds or Wallace and we had a good chance of finishing in the eight, our list is still poor. If we are serious about rebuilding and drafting top quality kids then we shouldn't expect much of a difference next year in terms of on-field results as those kids along with the Schulz's, Hartigan's, Roach's and Raines' will still need to gain the experience, strength, etc to compete and beat the best in the AFL. The positive is that we will be watching kids learning and getting better over time instead of watching the same old senior pretenders making the same old mistakes every single week. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Richmond ready to talk to Sheedy
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 01:05:11 AM »
Richmond ready to talk to Sheedy
26 June 2004   
Herald Sun
Scott Gullan

RICHMOND'S open-door policy to Kevin Sheedy remains, despite the veteran coach being set to re-sign with Essendon next week.

While the Tigers have not, and will not, approach Sheedy, it is believed he has been made aware that they are ready to talk if he is genuinely interested in a return to Punt Rd.

This appears increasingly unlikely, given the Essendon board met on Thursday night and is understood to have agreed to Sheedy's demand that another year be added to the original two-year renewal the club offered him two months ago.

Bombers chairman Neil McKissock refused to elaborate on the Sheedy contract situation yesterday and instead issued a brief statement.

"The Essendon Football Club board held their scheduled June board meeting last night. One item on the agenda was Kevin Sheedy's contract," McKissock said.

"The board had a very productive discussion and we hope the matter will be resolved by the middle of next week. No further comment on this matter will be made at this time."

The Tigers are conducting a review of their coaching structure, with coach Danny Frawley certain to go at the end of the year. There has been speculation Frawley might see the writing on the wall and decide to walk, possibly as early as next week.

Richmond's hierarchy has been determined to once again not be Sheedy's bargaining chip in his re-negotiations at Windy Hill.

"From very early on, the ball has been in his court," a source said. "He knows if he wants to chat at any time to Richmond, they'd be more than happy to, but they don't want to be used in any games with him re-signing at Essendon.

"Look, if there was genuine interest from Sheedy, then they (Richmond) would come at him like a raging bull. But it appears he's staying put."

Sheedy, 56, who is reportedly on an annual salary of $600,000 to $800,000, is in his 24th season at Windy Hill.

He has coached the Bombers in 558 games and could end his career second to legendary Collingwood coach Jock McHale.

Sheedy is third on the list of the competition's most experienced coaches, behind McHale (714 games) and Allan Jeans (575 games with St Kilda, Hawthorn and Richmond).

Sheedy, who also played 251 games for the Tigers, has admitted in the past that there was a certain romance about him finishing his career back at Punt Rd.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9955509%255E19771,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 04:51:18 PM »
Caro today mentioned she had checked around if we had approached Sheedy about coming across to coach us but she believes we honestly haven't.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hard to find security when you hit the top
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 01:45:08 AM »
By Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 27, 2004

Kevin Sheedy sat in the pub of an old friend late yesterday and told those who asked that he was happy to be patient for a couple of days. After all, Essendon had been patient with him.

Danny Frawley was spending the weekend at a Victorian coastal resort with his manager and trying to place the finishing touches of his exit from the ranks of AFL coaches.

Strangely, Sheedy has not been officially told that the Bombers have agreed to his three-year contract request. Some find it equally strange that Frawley has not yet quit. He knows the Richmond dream is over for him but a man has his pride. Now the ball is in his court.

Greg Miller and Clinton Casey put it there when they promised not to tap him on the shoulder until the end of the year. The entire industry is doing so now.

Not everyone on the Essendon board voted to offer Sheedy a three-year contract, but most did. And the vote to retain him after 24 years as senior coach at Essendon was unanimous.

The few who pushed for two years did so because they subscribed to the long-held philosophy that the veteran coach works better under pressure.

But they were clearly out-voted. Strangely, Sheedy has not been told yet of the board's decision, but it is understood that he will be offered a new deal in the next day or two with an announcement to follow quickly.

If Richmond were to act - and Sheedy emphasised again yesterday that no one at Tigerland had spoken to him regarding the coaching position - it would seem unlikely now that he would even consider an offer.

Sheedy, 56, has been sitting on a highly lucrative new two-year offer from Essendon since the start of the season. In April it was reported that he was questioning whether he was the right man to take the club into its next era and might not accept a new deal.

Now, having publicly negotiated with the Bombers for an extra year, he is on the verge of receiving that commitment and therefore could not in all conscience look elsewhere.

Sheedy was approached by a Tiger director before the start of the 2004 season, but the approach was not followed up and it seems that the dreamers who clung to the belief that he might return one day must finally wake up.

Sad, because it looked good on paper and with the football club having disintegrated on-field this season and showing signs of doing the same off it, Sheedy's personality, fame and strength could have provided the glue to a club without heart.

Working to remedy the situation is Miller, the unofficial Richmond chief executive officer, and president Casey, who will soon be the subject of a challenge. Casey and Miller have employed David Parkin to help them find the club's new coach.

While Frawley continues to plan the most dignified way to announce his imminent departure - he met manager Ricky Nixon nine days ago to plot the logistics and is reportedly out of town with Nixon this weekend doing the same - it appears increasingly likely that most of Frawley's football department will survive the clean-out.

The blame game at Richmond is being played with far more fervour than the game involving the Sherrin.

Another Nixon client, Rodney Eade, is the favorite to replace Frawley next season and if you had to place Terry Wallace at a football club today, that club would be Adelaide.

Port Adelaide coach Mark Williams has a clause in his contract that states he can field offers from rival clubs after June 30, which is clearly why that club is on ther verge of making him a new offer.

And so it should. Williams's team has performed remarkably well under adversity this season and suddenly looks again like a top-four contender.

The September bogy will continue to hover over his reputation but his winning ratio of close to 63 per cent must see him in contention for job offers from elsewhere, although it is difficult to believe that a man of Williams's pedigree would ever consider coaching the Crows. He is there to deliver Port's first flag and he knows it.

At St Kilda, Grant Thomas has transformed his club and deserves to be offered a new endorsement of three years when his board meets this week.

He reportedly told chief executive Brian Waldron on Friday that deals mean nothing and he would stand by his performance, but the truth is that Thomas's vision is now starting to make sense and his often-strange decisions are forming a pattern. A winning pattern.

With Frawley on the way out and Thomas, Williams and Sheedy on the verge of re-signing and Denis Pagan consolidating his position at Carlton, the coaching puzzle is falling into place. Perhaps the most difficult part of the jigsaw sits over at Glenferrie Oval.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/06/26/1088145021413.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Hard to find security when you hit the top
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 01:58:08 AM »
Danny Frawley was spending the weekend at a Victorian coastal resort with his manager and trying to place the finishing touches of his exit from the ranks of AFL coaches.

Some find it equally strange that Frawley has not yet quit. He knows the Richmond dream is over for him but a man has his pride. Now the ball is in his court.

Greg Miller and Clinton Casey put it there when they promised not to tap him on the shoulder until the end of the year. The entire industry is doing so now.

While Frawley continues to plan the most dignified way to announce his imminent departure - he met manager Ricky Nixon nine days ago to plot the logistics and is reportedly out of town with Nixon this weekend doing the same - it appears increasingly likely that most of Frawley's football department will survive the clean-out.

Another Nixon client, Rodney Eade, is the favorite to replace Frawley next season

Maybe we'll get a midweek press conference from Danny early in the week. Come on Danny do what's best for the Club are say you're quitting at the end of the season.

What does most of the football department mean? If Frawley is the only casualty then the review is a sad joke. Brittain, Crocker, Spargo and Beck surely can't survive either.

God knows why Caro keeps pushing for Eade to be our next coach  ???. I haven't heard or read one Richmond supporter in favour of him.

froars

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2004, 11:17:47 AM »
I just don't understand why they haven't approached Sheeds.  What is the harm in sounding him out?
We'll end up with a dud for sure.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2004, 11:42:37 AM »

Coastal resort ????

Hmmm...maybe I need new glasses ;)

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2004, 05:32:28 PM »
By Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
June 27, 2004

it appears increasingly likely that most of Frawley's football department will survive the clean-out.

I hope this is wrong very strongly. Get rid of the lot for gods sake.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Ox

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2004, 06:18:09 PM »
u beat me to the quote rodger.

I'll drink/smoke to that!!