Author Topic: Generation Next - Wallace (FTB)  (Read 1595 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Generation Next - Wallace (FTB)
« on: July 08, 2006, 03:23:57 AM »
TIGERS EXCITED BY GENERATION NEXT
By Terry Wallace
The Fighting Tiger Bulletin
June 2006

From the moment I first spoke to Richmond's Board of Directors about the Club's coaching position in 2004, and then took on the job, as a group - Board, management and football division - we set ourselves a clearly defined pathway for the Tigers' future.

This pathway was based on competing at a level that's had us competitive immediately after the disasterous '04 campaign. But, at the same time, it painted a clear picture of where we needed to direct our club for the future. This was the start of "Generation Next" at Tigerland . . .

The basis of the plan was to develop our own future stars. Looking in from the outside, with no emotion, I saw a club who, for almost quarter of a century, had been caught up in trade wars with opposition clubs, plus quick fixes by bringing other clubs' senior players, (which at one stage included myself) into the mix at Punt Road.

Even in recent years, I watched the Club trade away early draft picks for established players, some of whom have become very good players for the Tigers.

With the exception of one generation, which I might add was started during Kevin Bartlett's coaching stint, Richmond has not put a collection of young boys together that could work, grow and mature as a group.

The last bit of success Richmond had was based around players such as Brendon Gale, Matthew Knights, Wayne Campbell, Tony Free and Matthew Richardson, who were all developed from a young age and played together until they developed into a solid unit with a real love for each other and the Tigers.   

So, the plan from the outset was set to develop our own future stars. This process was kick-started on my arrival when Brad Ottens' management team suggested he wanted to leave Punt Road.

The football division put a strategy in place at that time to hunt both Troy Simmonds and Trent Knobel as ruck replacements with the allocated funds for Brad, plus secure two first-round draft selections as payment for him leaving. The fact we already had priority picks that year meant we could launch our process immediately, and when you look back at some of our winning performances earlier this season, all five of our top 20 picks from the 2004 National Draft were in the team.

Our aim, from here on, is to play our very best senior players in the team, as evidenced by the recent contract re-signings of Matthew Richardson and Joel Bowden, and combine them with the very best of our youth. The more games we get into our younger players the quicker they will develop and become quality senior footballers.

Richmond supporters will now see these youngsters, such as Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, play his first game in the 'Dreamtime' clash and then go on to represent the Club for the next 10 years. Our whole aim is to work on the development of these boys, so that those who were stars at under-18 level become stars in senior league football.

Generation Next has well and truly arrived at Tigerland, and we will be placing even greater emphasis on selection of players to add to this group over the next few National Drafts. So, don't expect to see Richmond ever again trading away its early draft picks. From now on, we develop our own at this Club.

We now have 11 teenagers on our playing list; 19 players (who have debuted) with less than 50 games experience; 15 players with less than 25 games experience and 30 play­ers (including rookie-list boys Cam Howat and Angus Graham) out of a total of 42, who are 24 years of age or under.

These are exciting times at Tigerland . . .

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Generation Next - Wallace (FTB)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:24:58 AM »
There have already been 16 Generation Next players debut for Richmond since Terry Wallace took over the coaching reins, which is a huge infusion of young talent.

In this special insight, 'Plough' provides his thoughts on each of these players ...

PATRICK BOWDEN
Perhaps some may wonder why Patrick is included in this Generation Next list. This is because all our future trades will be players who can last long enough to be teammates of the Generation Next group. To recruit a player for a two-year period is only stifling the progress of these boys. Patrick cost the Club very little to secure and has already shown this year he will be a valuable asset at either end of the ground. His ability to play key posi­tion, yet mobility to play as a midfield.runner, makes him an exciting prospect for the future. He is gaining the confidence and maturity to play excellent regular senior league football.

DEAN POLO
After working his way through the reserve grade, then senior ranks at  Coburg, Dean made an amazing debut in the 'Dreamtime' game  against Essendon winning the award for best-on-ground, This may have lifted the expectations of many of our supporters, but since then he has done some outstanding tagging/run-with jobs on quality opposition players such as Sydney's Paul Williams in his 300th game and Adelaide's Brett Burton. Dean can win the ball in his own right, or nul­lify the opposition's stars. He is a tough, no­nonsense type of player.

DEAN LlMBACH
Dean came to us after missing most of his year at under-18s level. He was a long way behind in fitness and body strength and it has taken him an enormous amount of work to catch up. So far, Dean has played mostly at Coburg reserve-grade level, but he has shown glimpses of good form when opportu­nities have been given to him. At this stage, his best position is as a leading, deep forward. Once Dean gets the ball in his hands, he usu­ally gets the job done.

CLEVE HUGHES
Cleve was selected at centre half-forward in the All-Australian side following last year's under-18 national championships and he has shown some exciting signs since arriving at Richmond. He has not looked out of place, even in his first year at senior level, although his body development and fitness still need a great deal of work. Cleve is one of those nat­ural players, who knows how to drill the ball. With the ball in his hands, you are sure he is going to convert. At this stage, Cleve looks more at home at full forward, but with a stronger work ethic, could play out across the half-forward line in the future.

TRAVIS CASSERLY
Travis came via WAFL club Swan Districts in last year's Draft. He was frustrated by a groin injury in the early part of the season, but what little we have seen of Travis we have been super-impressed with. He is a natural, modern-day footballer, prepared to run and carry and is a beautiful kick of the ball. Travis is eager to learn and has talent to burn. Currently, his body shape is nowhere near ready for AFL football and he needs to work on building up his strength, so that he can compete at the elite level. But, from a pure ability point of  view, he has bundles of it.

DANNY MEYER
Danny was another draftee who came to us with a very young, immature body. It has taken time for him to develop physically, but I am extremely pleased with his body shape now, which allows him to compete against the strongest players. You know you're in safe hands when the ball is with Danny Meyer, as his decision-making and disposal is as good as any on our playing list. Danny just needs to keep his graph heading in the right direction and maturing along the way, as I have no doubt that he has the ability to become a regular key player for the team.

WILL THURSFIELD
What a tradegy to see Will suffer a season-ending knee injury in the Round 2 game against  St Kilda after playing so well on Nick Riewoldt all night. From the first time I set eyes on Will, I thought he would make a senior backman, and how lucky we were to pick him up through the Rookie Draft! Will has a great competitive nature and a calmness­ about him when he wins possession. On the day that Rob Harvey broke the St Kilda's games record early this season, I told Will that he also severely injured his knee early in his career. This is only a hiccup for Will, as he is too determined to let anything  prevent him from being a regular Tiger backman.

LUKE MCGUANE
He was thrown in the deep end early this season when we lost four players on the eve of the match against reigning premier team Sydney. Luke had an injury-riddled 2005 season, but has progressed welt through the ranks and played some top football at VFL level on players such as veteran Kangaroos full-forward Sav Rocca. Although Luke is probably more naturally suited to the forward line, we have worked on his backline play, as he has the athleticism and closing speed to compete with key for­wards. He needs to work with Will Thursfield, so they can become the Gaspar and Kellaway of the future in our defence ...

JARRAD OAKLEY-NICHOLLS
Given his slight build right now, 'Jonny' could be riding in the last at Flemington! Development and maturity is something that will only happen over time, but when it comes to ability, attitude and speed, Jonny matches up with the best. He is exciting to watch and can burn off anyone with his pace and exqui­site ground-ball skills. His general fitness for repeat efforts needs to be developed over time, but there's no doubt in my mind that you are going to enjoy watching him play in the Yellow and Black for a long while.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:27:18 AM »
ADAM PATTISON
'Patto' is a coach's dream, as he will do what­ever he is told and work his backside off on every occasion. He is the epitome of someone who puts team before the individual. At times in a game he can look one-paced, but the reality is he has good leg speed. What he needs to learn is how to use it on game day. Patto's strength is his 'motor' ... he can work hard for long peri­ods of time. With maturity, he will develop into a strong, contested-marking player. Shoulder trouble last summer did not allow him to have the body development that I would have liked, but he will live in the gym over the next pre-sea­son. Get used to Patto in the side as he is a def­inite long-term proposition.

RICHARD TAMBLlNG
We are now starting to see some of the abil­ity that Richard showed at under-18 level and this will only develop and prosper with time. 'Blingers' is an exciting player, who plays both inside and out, meaning that he can win his own ball, yet run and carry it with the best in the competition. Whether on-ball or up for­ward, he is a dangerous opponent for rival teams. I just hope that I am still coaching the Tigers when Richard is 24-25 years of age.

MATT WHITE
The bargain-basement selection of last year's pre-season draft. How this bloke didn't get picked up and given an opportunity by any club is beyond me! Super fit and quick, he is brave enough to take on any opposition with run and carry. A true Tiger from the day he was born, Whitey' has an exciting future, any­where from half-back through to half-for­ward. Poise and ball use are the areas that Whitey will continue to develop to become a top player for the Tigers.

BRETT DELEDIO
Brett continues to deal with any aspect of this ruthless AFL competition. Playing every game in his debut season, he set himself a standard, which others in the competition watched carefully. Now, week in, week out, he is getting physical attention and stoppers working alongside him each game. Despite this, he still continues to develop and add more to the package. This year, he has start­ed playing midfield and who will forget him bursting out of the centre to kick the match­ sealing goal against the Adelaide Crows! Brett has future leadership written all over him, as he is the total professional in his approach.

JEREMY HUMM
Brought across from the West Coast Eagles as another young player who, if he makes the grade, could be around the Club for a decade. 'Hummy' is one of the stand­outs at VFL level each week, but has lacked opportunities so far at senior level. He physically enjoys the contest and has the kicking skills that enable him to be a cre­ative player. Hummy just needs a break, but also needs to rip the heart out of games at the next level down, as Nathan Foley did last year to get his chance to play senior football. I have no doubt that he is good enough, it is just whether he has suf­ficient self-belief.

Rookies
ANGUS GRAHAM
Added to our Rookie list late last year as a developing ruckman, Angus has worked extremely hard on building up his body and he's already a physical equal to most at Punt Road. Understanding the work ethic required game day, along with learning how to read and react to play as a ruckman, is part of Gus' overall development package. We selected him as a long-term project and, at this stage, he is developing in the ranks at VFL reserve ­grade level. He is big enough, strong enough, and has the motor to play AFL football ...The desire and willingness to learn will be the keys to his playing future.

CAM HOWAT
Another Rookie-list player, recruited from Box Hill, Cam has been given an opportunity to see whether he can make the step up to AFL level. For the past couple of years, he has been a solid VFL player and with his long, rak­ing left foot, he can be extremely damaging as a goalkicking midfielder. Once again, I believe he needs to develop greater body strength and use his competitive nature on match day. The chance is certainly there for Cam ... it's a matter of him grabbing it.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »
why wasnt there a write up about raines!!! :banghead :banghead

he is also a key figure in generation next

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 09:59:29 AM »
Humm. McGuane and Limbach get write ups pmsl...Rainesy doesnt...lol....lets just call it an oversite for now lol.

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 11:12:09 AM »
He is only refering to players the club has recruited in his time as coach.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 11:21:43 AM »
He is only refering to players the club has recruited in his time as coach.

true but u could add rainse and tuck to that list because if it wasnt for terry , they most likely would not have been here, thus in a way, terry re- recruited, re- invented them  just like paddy 

Moi

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:43:44 PM »
Humm. McGuane and Limbach get write ups pmsl...Rainesy doesnt...lol....lets just call it an oversite for now lol.
Maybe Rainsey isn't part of Terry's future plans - maybe why he hasn't been signed  :o
And maybe I talk rubbish lol  :rollin

Moi

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
Generation Next has well and truly arrived at Tigerland, and we will be placing even greater emphasis on selection of players to add to this group over the next few National Drafts. So, don't expect to see Richmond ever again trading away its early draft picks. From now on, we develop our own at this Club.
Just music to my ears  :bow
There are good coaches and good coaches.
I compare him to Pagan, who is a good coach IMO, except for one thing.  They both had the chance to rebuild a club (Carlton and Richmond).  One chose to recruit players from other clubs and the other went for youth.  I can't imagine how psychologically damaged I would be by now if we had have recruited Micky Martyn and some of the duds they did.
Luv ya Tezza  :-*

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 03:45:17 PM »
Great to see this published. For the first time in many years I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like every single one of these guys will be on the list next year (main or rookie) which would be a change from some of the drafting we have done in the past.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 07:21:18 PM »
Raines debuted in Spud's last game so that's why he isn't on Terry's list.

Wallace just luvs Tambling doesn't he lol. It made his day when he was still around at pick 4. JON will be a favourite of Tezza's too.

We still IMO need more KPPs. Relying on just Thursfield, McGuane, Pattison, Hughes and Limbach to become our future spine is too narrow. We also have Sarge and Simmo has plenty of years left in him but it's a fact of life that not all these kids will make it for whatever reason and you need backup in each position in case of injury. Potential is a dirty word as Andy Collins mentioned in his FTB article on Coburg.

Just music to my ears  :bow
There are good coaches and good coaches.
I compare him to Pagan, who is a good coach IMO, except for one thing.  They both had the chance to rebuild a club (Carlton and Richmond).  One chose to recruit players from other clubs and the other went for youth.  I can't imagine how psychologically damaged I would be by now if we had have recruited Micky Martyn and some of the duds they did.
Luv ya Tezza  :-*

I couldn't care less about the Blues lol but John Elliott deserves the bagging for Carlton having to go with recycled duds. He along with his board cost the Blues their draft picks by cheating with the salary cap and thinking he was bigger than the AFL by building that Legends stand despite the AFL moving games away from Princes Park which sent the Blues broke. Pagan had no other option when he arrived. If Pagan wants to turn Carlton around they should trade Whitnall while he has value for early draft picks. After getting Marc Murphy and Josh Kennedy last year they need to do what Terry did and get 4-5 early picks in this draft.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 01:16:01 AM »
The young cubs are growing in confidence at this level and were crucial in our win last night. Polo, Lids, Blingers, White and Paddy from Generation Next along  with other Wallace credits in Foley, Rainesy, Tuck, Petts, Hyde and Simmo. The senior players are paying their part too but the newbies are starting to take control of Richmond's fortunes. Wallace is turning them into one disciplined unit. An exciting time to be a Tiger  :gotigers.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd