Author Topic: Richmond 2005: The contenders - Who is it going to be?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond 2005: The contenders - Who is it going to be?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 01:08:31 PM »
Harvs cagey about Tigers
30 June 2004   Herald Sun
Scott Gullan and Grantley Bernard

MARK Harvey won't publicly canvass or chase the Richmond coaching job.

The long-time Essendon assistant is a logical candidate to replace departing Danny Frawley as head coach at Punt Rd. But Harvey is content to focus on his role at Essendon for the remainder of the season and will leave it up to Richmond to approach him.

"I'll just let it take its course," Harvey said yesterday. "Whatever happens, happens.

"I can't say any more, otherwise you start heading down the track where the players you are coaching start to get disorientated because you are talking about coaching other clubs. It is a pretty compromising position, given it is happening so early in the season this time."

Harvey has previously hinted he would have to look elsewhere for a senior coaching job if Kevin Sheedy continued his reign at Windy Hill.

But yesterday, with Sheedy poised to sign a new three-year deal today, the Bombers premiership defender said he would be happy to stay with Sheedy if the circumstances weren't right elsewhere.

"In my mind (Sheedy) was always going to be re-signed," Harvey said.

"So if that means I am going to work with him or against him (in the future), well, it is out of my hands now."
While there is a strong perception the Tigers want an AFL-proven coach to take over from Frawley, football director Greg Miller has not discounted Harvey.

"On the criteria I presented to the board, we talked about the necessity for someone who has been in the system . . . and understood the nitty gritty for a long period of time, and I think a fellow like Mark Harvey does fit that mould," Miller said on radio station SEN.

"I'm not sure how long he's been an assistant, quite a while. He's been at the coalface, not totally in charge . . . but I wouldn't necessarily rule him out. He's had a hell of a grounding at Essendon."

President Clinton Casey was also not prepared to close the door on an assistant coach with the right qualifications.

"I wouldn't read too much into the experience," Casey said on SEN. "What we're looking for is someone with a particular skill set who is the right type of person to be able to get the very best out of our playing list. That will be the main criteria."

One factor in the coaching search could be money.

While Casey believes finding the right money for the right coach will not be a problem, Miller was more circumspect.

"It's true to say financially we're going to have to make some cuts, and how we'll go about that in the football department . . . is something I'd like to work through with the new coach," Miller said.

"We won't be in the market for a very highly paid person. But then again, if a person believes in himself and Richmond is able to get itself back on track, there's some great opportunities there."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9997512%255E19742,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 01:09:12 PM »
Eade, Wallace wary of return
By Chip Le Grand
June 30, 2004

FOR the best part of two years, Terry Wallace and Rodney Eade have been coaches in waiting. But at a time when vacancies at Richmond and Adelaide would suggest that wait is coming to an end, neither will crawl over broken glass to coach again.

As in most things, Wallace is more outspoken than Eade on this issue. In a candid interview with The Australian yesterday, the man who took the Western Bulldogs to within a kick of a grand final said he had earned the right to ask hard, direct questions of any club that came knocking on his door.

"I get the feeling that other people want me to put my hand up more than I want to put my hand up myself," Wallace said.

"I still have the passion to do it, but I am not going to be railroaded into taking something that I think is not the right option."

Eade, while more wary of public pronouncements, is similarly circumspect about any job on offer.

"I would love to coach again, but it has to be a good fit for both parties," the Swans' longest-serving coach said.

The essential prerequisite for both would-be coaches – and indeed for any experienced coach that Adelaide or Richmond target – is for the club to be brutally honest about its playing list and medium-term prospects.
For Wallace and Eade, the experience of Denis Pagan at Carlton looms large. Although Pagan's transformation of the Blues' playing list has been remarkable, he was sold a pup by John Elliott's outgoing board. Pagan admitted as much this week.

Wallace and Eade have well-paying roles as football commentators in print, radio and television and neither has a strong financial imperative to shift back into coaching.

Richmond, in particular, has lurched from one season to the next under successive administrations with little evidence of planning or a coherent, long-term view.

Both prospective coaches will want a realistic guarantee of stablility and direction before agreeing to be courted.

Wallace said the expectations of an untried coach might be different.

Essendon's long-serving assistant coach Mark Harvey and his Sydney counterpart Peter Jonas will be sounded out by Richmond and the Crows respectively.

Wallace believes there is a greater onus on coaches without senior experience to sell themselves into the job.

"If you are assistant coach and you are desperately wanting to get your first crack at it, under those circumstances you are trying to sell yourself to them," Wallace said.

"My position is probably a little different. Of course I still have to convince any prospective club that I am the right person to take them forward, but I reckon I am well within my rights to be asking questions of any prospective club about why I would want to come into their environment."

The flip side of having previous senior coaching experience is the inevitable baggage it brings.
Wallace and Eade are acutely aware of their perceived strengths and weaknesses.

Eade left the Swans mid-season and was portrayed by the Sydney administration as a good match-day coach who invested insufficient time and energy into player development. Eade admits his coaching was not perfect but believes his shortcomings were exaggerated.

Wallace was portrayed as a coaching mercenary after opting not to serve the final two years of his deal with the Bulldogs, reportedly in lieu of a more lucrative offer from Sydney.

Wallace and Sydney denied a job offer was made, but Greg Miller, the Richmond football director who will drive the club's search for a senior coach, this year expressed disappointment in the way Wallace left the Bulldogs.

While Wallace accepted Miller's explanation for his comments at the time, they form part of the reason why Eade is considered the coach most likely for Richmond.

Wallace has been linked more closely with the Crows. As of yesterday, neither had been approached by Richmond or Adelaide.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9994057%255E2722,00.html
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »
As far as comparisons go Eade and Wallace both have a dogged history in as far as the way they treated their clubs so we should all get over it.

It wont happen twice.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 11:26:21 AM »
While lm still probably more in favour of Wallace,l reckon Eade is firming in the market.
Miller was waxing lyrical about working with him at North on SEN on monday night.
Brittain would be the only bloke l would consider not re-newing my membership if hired.
Credidentials of a Carlton wooden spoon and midfield coach of a dysfunctional Richmond engine..no thanks.
I was sceptical of Eade because of his negative tactics,but he seems to have seen his past errors and is brave enough to admit them in his columb in The Age.I was also suprised that the Swans reached the finals 5 out of 7 years under him.
Wallace would l believe have the players respect fairly sharpish.He may also produce a side that competes with vigor and committment,something sadly lacking of recent years.He is tactically smart,and has been a master of nullifying the oppositions strengths.
Lastly,whoever lands the job must commit to a draft/trading policy that stops middle aged rejects earning easy dollars at RFC.They must build the list alongside Miller and wait for the list to blossom.With a hard nosed ruthless assessment of any player in the playing group after 3-4 years in the system we can go forwards again.
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went