Author Topic: Rainsey considered for IR series while Lids will be rested  (Read 7794 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Rainsey considered for IR series while Lids will be rested
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2006, 09:58:37 PM »
Actually I reckon Sheeds made a very valid point when he said that when Australia wins it's because your thugs but when the Irish have won it's because they are just too good

Yep I'm sure the reaction would be different if the result went the other way  :whistle.

After last year's series, why did a record 82,000 Irish still turn up this year if they really don't want IR to continue because of the physicality. If Ireland had won, today would've been a national holiday over there :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2006, 12:08:20 AM »
I am back from the emerald isle, and had a great day out in Croke park watching the game.

The first 10 minutes was always going to happen.  Before the bounce players were running into each other, pushing each other, and a few wrestles began.

But when the footy was played, it was clear the Aussies would be running all over them.  I could not believe I got 6/4 for them to hold up the cup.

I was lucky enough to have access to a tv where I was, which showed back the incidents as they happened (not on the scoreboard TV).  There was nothing malicious in Pearce's tackle, but technically it was outside the rules of the game.

The media in ireland did go crazy the next day.  And every taxi driver and barman I met in the next 24 hours, branded the aussies as thugs, but did acknowledge the football played by the irish was hopeless.

Raines did well not to lose his cool, and had a good game.  I thought Pearce and Campbell Brown were excellent, and the skills with the round ball are much better than they were 2 years ago.  (Although Nathan Brown was excellent back then)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »
I am back from the emerald isle, and had a great day out in Croke park watching the game.

Are they Feral over there LT lol?

And every taxi driver and barman I met in the next 24 hours, branded the aussies as thugs, but did acknowledge the football played by the irish was hopeless.

Did you need to put them in a headlock to get that acknowledgement LT ;D

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2006, 07:13:44 PM »
They are feral.  Definitely crazy supporters.  I was in a superbox, and the irish guy sitting directly behind me was threatening to give me a cauliflower ear if I got on his nerves.

It was all in fun though.  No problems at the few pubs we went to afterwards. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2006, 02:21:35 AM »
Rainsey with some silverware  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2006, 12:13:25 AM »
Campbell Brown fractured his hip due to Irish guy going into him with his knees. But we're the thugs  :whistle.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=307020

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »
It looks like tackling will get the chop from IR to appease the Irish  ::)

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/11/22/1163871482561.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
IR series scrapped for 2007
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »
IR series scrapped for 2007
Scott Spits
The Age
December 10, 2006

Ireland's Gaelic Athletic Association has decided to scrap the International Rules series for 2007.

Amidst speculation about the future of the hybrid series after violence marred the second Test at Croke Park last month, the GAA has opted to suspend the series next year.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said today he was advised of the move by GAA president Nickey Brennan.

"The International Rules Series will be suspended for 12 months at both junior and senior level for 2007 and we will meet with the GAA in the new year to talk through future plans between our two organisations," Demetriou said in a statement.

"The GAA intends to have further internal discussions about the structure and the rules of the series and we look forward to talking to them once they have completed that process on how we may proceed in the future."

The AFL indicated it would conduct its review of the International Rules series at senior level prior to the end of the year.

However, at junior level, an AFL AIS Academy side will tour South Africa next year as part of its development program.

It is believed the AFL and and GAA will work on clarifying rules and disciplinary procedures so that the internationals can resume in 2008.

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/news/afl/international-rules-scrapped-for-2007/2006/12/10/1165685543142.html

Offline Stephanie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I am from Tigerland!
    • My Myspace
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2006, 09:21:52 PM »
And if they had won? ::)
On victory we strive. Eat 'em alive!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2006, 10:24:55 PM »
I thought the Irish were toughies - apparently not.

Sour Grapes sooky la la

We allready agree to the rules heavily favouring them and they still aint happy.

Then again who gives a flying rats anyway - Not I 

:santa

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »
I agree, where did the saying 'the Fighting Irish' come from.

I have always heard beware of the irish because they are as mad as a cut snake.

Oh well, who cares anyway, was pretty boring IMO.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2006, 12:57:37 PM »
Fair dinkum - they won Australian Idol, what more do they want!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2006, 01:39:04 PM »
No great loss  :whistle

As everyone knows I am not a fan  :sleep :sleep
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
The Irish players wanted it to continue but the administrators over-ruled them and said no. Seems they don't like losing  :shh.

-------------------------------------------------

Lack of competitiveness weakens Australian connection
Irish Independent
Sunday December 10th 2006

CENTRAL COUNCIL'S decision yesterday - for a temporary suspension of the International Rules series - always looked inevitable. While there was much soul searching in Ireland on the link between the two countries, a similar discussion has been taking place by the Southern cross.

There are just as many sceptics down south, so a belief that all the important decisions are being made on this side of the world is slightly misplaced. The Australians are beginning to wonder if they would be better off just minding their own game. A bit like here really except they are also factoring in the lack of competitiveness.

There is no future for any game in terms of crowd appeal, no matter what the marketing, if one side keeps beating the crap out of the other. That very significant matter has received almost no debate in Ireland since the shoot-out at the Croke Park corral.

It is very clear that a major problem has arisen on the level of performance by both sets of players. While the Australians have stepped up to the mark, the Irish displays have been in free fall.

This places an onus on our players. The views articulated by those involved, through the GPA and surveys in different papers, indicate strong support among our leading players for a continuation of the series. If it is just for a trip then there is absolutely no point in continuing, if it is to demonstrate the quality, skill, pride and determination of Gaelic football then that is an entirely different matter.

For a variety of reasons, the type of player available for the last couple of years is not up to the standard of previous campaigns. The sort of physical presence needed is not available.

Gaelic football at the moment is dominated by smaller men than for a while but that is only a phase too. The real responsibility for making this work lies with the players themselves, by providing entertainment free of rancour which the public won't have to be coaxed into attending.

This is not a dream. We have had brilliant games in the past where the entertainment surpassed many of the best games in either Australian Rules or Gaelic football. Obviously what is on offer at the moment does little to enhance the idea of a new game fostering International competition and co-operation between two distinct codes which have no other International outlet.

At present the vast majority of people in this country could not care less if they did not see another one of these games. Feelings have mellowed somewhat since the last match, but there is a clear split on the issue. At a recent debate in DCU which I attended, the vote at the end of the night was roughly 55% against continuing the link, with 45% in favour.

It was a most interesting debate. The three who spoke in favour of immediately ending the link were Séamus McEnaney, John Maughan and Mickey Harte. In the other corner were Niall Moyna, Brian McEniff and myself. We all had experience of managing the Irish team at either Senior or under-17 level and were very aware of the pride and passion that Irish players feel in these situations.

Mickey Harte is absolutely opposed to this game in every shape and form and made many valid arguments against it, the most pertinent being that no matter what the International code is called, it is still not Gaelic football. The most obvious outcome from the debate is that this is a question which is dividing GAA opinion.

It is a long way from the vision of the first people who tried to make this International experiment work - Peter McDermott of Meath and Australia's Harry Beitzel.

The first games were played in Croke Park almost 40 years ago; October 1967 to be exact. This was an unofficial Australian tour which resulted in games in Croke Park against Mayo and Meath, who had won the All-Ireland. Incidentally the Meath Junior, Intermediate and Senior championship finals were postponed to help the county team take up this challenge match. And we think that clubs are only getting a raw deal recently! Each of those games attracted over 20,000, and an invitation was given to Meath to tour Australia the following March. This they did, and in style too.

The total cost was £20,000, an enormous amount at the time

At a time when few players had ever been on a plane, and wages were about €20 a week, the team travelled out going east, stopping off in Signapore. Then after spending three weeks in Australia the panel and officials came home the other way, with some time spent in Hawaii, San Francisco and New York.

The total audited cost of the trip was £20,000, which was an enormous amount at the time. A rough guide taking a multiple of 30 would give some idea of the present cost. It was raised by donations, ticket sales, door to door collections, proceeds from dances and even contributions from GAA clubs outside the county. All this information is gleaned from Peter McDermott's book, Gaels in the Sun, which was published after the trip.

The sun now appears to be setting on this experiment, hopefully the era will see a new dawn.

All pioneering movements have had their share of setbacks. This now demands a new level of co-operation, mutual respect, real friendliness and a greater willingness to compromise on both sides than has been evident recently. Nothing though compared to the difficulties faced by the men of real vision, McDermott and Beitzel, when they attempted compromise and co-operation 40 years ago.

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=13&si=1739407

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2006, 03:33:34 PM »
Yawn,  next.