Author Topic: Memorable moments #6: 80's Trade Wars: Part 1 - Three champions walk  (Read 14362 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The early-mid 1980s was an environment of trying to buy your way to a flag. Esculating transfer fees and player salaries, writs against clubs and player poaching both from interstate and other VFL clubs were all part of the norm. Most VFL clubs were spending money they just didn't have. At the end of 1982 alone 7 players issued writs against their own club in order to force a clearance. Out of interest one was by Grant Thomas against St Kilda  ;).

At Richmond in 1982, a disquiet was brewing among certain senior Tigers who were non-plus over new coach Francis Bourke's strict style and the fact teammates brought (and bought) in from interstate were on more dollars than they were. 19 wins from 23 games kept things in check as another flag looked on the cards but 1982 grand final loss brought with it a implosion that rocked the Club and a lust for revenge that would almost put the RFC out of existence.

At the end of the 1982 season, the Tigers gained David Palm from WA in the then interstate draft, Brian Taylor upset about being left out of the Grand Final threatened to walk but eventually stayed on a lucrative 2-year contract and the late Terry Smith went to St Kilda in a swap. It was then that all hell broke loose!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Memorable moments #6: 80's Trade Wars: Part 1 - Three champions walk
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 06:18:54 AM »
Cloke - "Treated like a School kid"

TIGER CLOKE WALKS OUT

By Michael Horan
The Sun
Saturday, December 4, 1982

RICHMOND captain David Cloke yesterday resigned from the club.

Cloke, 27, telephoned Richmond yesterday afternoon to inform them of his decision.

"I had a meeting with them yesterday (Thursday) to discuss the situation,"  Cloke said last night.

"But after talks, and thinking about it over night, I've decided to resign.

CIoke said his decision was personal and not for financial reasons.

"l had a few differences of opinion with the coach on my playing arrangements. We couldn't agree on how I should play," he said.

"I've been at Richmond since 1973 and for eight years I really enjoyed pIaying.

"This year I didn't enjoy it at all, that's why I'm going.

Richmond officials were unavailable for comment last night.

Cloke said he toId Richmond he feIt he was treated "like a schooI kid instead of an adult."

"I wasn't aIIowed to play my natural game of football. I want to play with a team which will let me play naturally at centre half-forward."

It was well known last season that Cloke was unhappy with how Francis Bourke expected him to play the position.

CIoke was centre half-forward for Victoria in its two interstate clashes SA and WA last season.

The burly centre half-forward, who played 176 games with the Tigers, said he had not decided which club he wanted to join.

"I'll probably make a decision next week. When I've made up my mind I'll go down to VFL house and pick up some cIearance papers.

"That's, of course, if the club I want to go to wants me."

Clokes name has been linked with MeIbourne.

But with Footscray's Kelvin Templeton, aIso a centre haIf-forward, taking Supreme Court action in a bid to join the Demons, he is unlikely to be interested.

Collingwood captain Peter Moore also has issued a writ in a bid to join the Demons.

Cloke said he didn't know how Richmond would view his clearance application, but said he wouId go to court if necessary.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:30:49 AM »
Cats Lead Cloke race

By Michael Horan
The Sun
Wednesday, December 8, 1982

RICHMOND yesterday gave Geelong permission to interview its disgruntled captain David Cloke.

The Cats spoke to Cloke yesterday afternoon and more meetings will be held before he decides whether to play at Kardinia Park.

He has already indicated that he has a high regard for his old coach Tom Hafey, who will be in charge of the Cats next season.

Richmond has indicated that it is not interested in money for Cloke's clearance. The Tigers want either a player or players.

Richmond yesterday refused permission for at least four other VFL clubs to speak to Cloke.

Tigers general manager Kevin Dixon would not name the clubs last night, but it is believed they are Collingwood, Essendon, St. Kilda and Melbourne.

And other teams are expected to show interest in the services of the robust centre half-forward following his resignation from Punt Rd, last Friday.

Mr Dixon said a meeting between Cloke and the Richmond hierarchy was planned for tomorrow afternoon.

"We're still hopeful it may be resolved, but it doesn't look good," Dixon said.

The gulf  between Cloke and the Tigers widened when club president Ian Wilson yesterday criticised Cloke's attack on coach Francis Bourke.

Mr Wilson said that "in view of his outburst" Richmond would look at offers from other clubs if it could gain a player, or players, of adequate replacement value.

Mr Wilson criticised Cloke for not fitting in with the team's style of play, his public criticism of Bourke and his demands for a 200 percent pay increase.

He said Cloke had sought $65,000 for the 1983 season as part of a new contract which would guarantee him more than $200,000 for three years.

He is believe to have been on $22-25,000 this year.

Cloke's criticism of Bourke is apparently based on the coach's instruction to him to avoid congestion near goal and not to drift down the ground to contest marks in the goal square.

Cloke is 27, and has played 176 games in nine seasons at Richmond.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:32:07 AM »
Tigers play it tough!

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Thursday, December 9, 1982.

RICHMOND has started its own investigation into the alleged poaching of some of its top players.

Tigers' general manager Kevin Dixon said yesterday that if Richmond found evidence that another club approached a player without permission it would lodge an official complaint with the VFL.

Mr Dixon said the club believed most of its senior list have been approached by clubs since last season's grand final.

But it is obvious that the Tigers are aiming their investigations primarily at captain David Cloke, Geoff Raines and Bryan Wood.

Geelong has been given permission to interview Cloke, who has admitted he had a strained relationship with coach Francis Bourke this season, while Raines wants a new contract.

And Wood's three-year agreement has expired and he is renegotiating with the Tigers. He has been at the club for the past 11 years and was captain in 1981.

Several Richmond senior players are not happy because they are not getting the same money as several interstate recruits.

And this is causing the Richmond administration problems.   

Raines, 26, has won we club's best and fairest award three times.

If an amicable arrangement is not reached, the talented centreman might be forced into switching clubs.

Mr Dixon said: "We've made an offer, which is realistic and it will take him to the end of 1985."

He said Raines was under contract to Richmond until the end of next year and Cloke was tied to the club until January.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:33:20 AM »
Tiger Bourke on the attack . . .

" ... I had the club at heart"

By Lou Richards and Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Wednesday, December 15, 1982

FRANCIS BOURKE knows that Richmond coaches are never there long enough to collect superannuation and long service leave ...

Unless there is instant success!

Despite the threat of the chopper hanging over his head, Bourke attacked his job in the first year the same way he played his 302 games - honestly.

Maybe St. Francis was too honest and upset a few players when he insisted they play the game he wanted.

The one least expected to buck Bourke was captain David Cloke, who is big and strong enough to go to the top of the class in just about anything in football.

Yet Cloke claimed that Bourke sometimes treated him like a schoolboy, and now he wants to go elsewhere like GeeIong, Essendon, Collingwood, North Melbourne, the Swans ... etc.

Fair dinkum, Bourke must have felt like giving his captain 2000 lines - "I must obey the coach."

But, typically, Bourke said: "David has said enough about it all, I wouldn't like to add to it.

People can make up their own minds.

"I don't want to see good pIayers like him go but l believe in Richmond and what the club is all about.

"I'm not saying I was always right, but whatever I said and did I had the club at heart.

"If we had won the premiership this may not have happened, but this is one of the prices you have to pay when you lose.

"The coach lays down the law for all players to adhere to. If that's treating someone like a schoolboy ... then I don't know."

There's no doubt Cloke is finished at Richmond. But has Bourke, like other coaches, ruffled any other Tigers?

"We're all human, sometimes people can take things too personally," he said.

"I thought my criticism was positive. People have to expect criticism the same way as compliments.

"I don't think I was personal. I was always talking about on-field incidents and moves."

That's fair enough. A coach has to be tough if the club wants to succeed.

Perhaps that's what is wrong with some players today - they want to travel first class all the time.

Nobody could ever accuse Bourke of travelling this way when he spilled blood for Richmond.

Maybe he was expecting too much from the boys in yellow and black.

"I don't think I did, all I ever expected was the right attitude, determination and dedication," he said.

"I don't see any reason why Richmond shouldn't be the most dedicated and determined team in the VFL."

But a Francis Bourke comes along once in a football lifetime.

He never joined the queue outside the pay office at Punt Rd, never gave his coaches headaches or was a problem for the administration.

"When I played I was satisfied with what the club could afford. It didn't matter to me if someone was getting more than I was."

That's more than I can say for Geoff Raines.

"Geoff had another year of a three-year contract and I hope he sticks by his word and honors it," Bourke said.

That's one thing St. Francis always does.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:34:37 AM »
NOW RAINES QUITS TIGERS

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Tuesday, December 21, 1982

RICHMOND centreman and triple best and fairest winner Geoff Raines has resigned from the club.

Raines said yesterday he had told Richmond general manager Kevin Dixon that he did not want to play with the Tigers.

Raines, 26, is the second key and experienced player to leave Richmond within three weeks.

Captain David Cloke has also resigned because of a dispute with coach Francis Bourke.

Raines said yesterday: “I am fair dinkum. I’m leaving. I am not going to go back to Richmond.”

The Tigers have already taken action to try and keep Raines at Punt Rd.

Mr Dixon said Richmond had written to all clubs threatening court action if an approach was made to Raines.

“We have advised all clubs that he is under contract for 1983 and not to make any approaches,” Mr Dixon said.

“If they do then they face legal action.”

A copy of the letter has also been sent to VFL general manager Mr Jack Hamilton.

Asked why he wanted to leave the Tigers, Raines said: “I want a change of environment.

“I need a new lease of life and I can’t see it happening at Richmond.

“But I can see it happen at another club. I just need a change from the whole atmosphere at Richmond.”

Raines said he would decide in the next few days where he would like to continue his football.

The talented centreman has talked with Richmond about his contract since the end of this season before he decided to quit.

Raines played in Richmond’s 1980 premiership team, which scored a record winning margin over Collingwood.

He won the club’s best and fairest award in 1978, 1980 and 1981 and has played 135 matches with the Tigers.

Mr Dixon said: “Naturally, we are disappointed that Geoff resigned. He is a very good player and has given us good service.

“We would like him to continue and we are disappointed he has taken this stance.”

Mr Dixon warned that if another club tried to “induce” any other Richmond players court action would be taken.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 06:36:37 AM »
Tearing Stripes Off The Players

Graeme Richmond – “I can’t see any sense in coming to an agreement with greedy players”

By Lou Richards with Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Wednesday, December 22, 1982

What’s happening to the Mighty Tigers, are they falling apart?

Firstly, captain David Cloke packed his bag, then champion centreman Geoff Raines walked out and, from what I hear, veteran winger Bryan Wood has itchy feet.

I know a leopard never changes its spots, but why are so many Tigers keen to trade their stripes.

Everyone at Punt Rd has had their say.

But yesterday I spoke to the man that counts at Richmond – the godfather himself, Graeme Richmond.

I asked him straight out. Is Richmond in trouble before the first ball is bounced?

“Far from it,” he said over a Chinese meal, and he nearly poked out my eye with a chopstick making the point.

“Richmond will come out with a strong side anxious to redeem itself.”

So will Footscray and St. Kilda, but what about the missing superstars?

“Cloke and Wood have got to the stage where they want maximum security in the twilight years of their careers,” he said.

“In the old days players went coaching in the country and set themselves up for life, but today they want more money.

“Cloke has been upset by strong onfield discipline, there has been a gradual drawling of the reins on him.

“When you have Cloke, Brian Taylor and Michael Roach there has to be greater organization of the forward line.

“But the money side is David’s problem as much as anything.”

In the past, the Tigers never had trouble finding money, whether it was for their own or to buy players from elsewhere.

“The whole economic climate has caused us to take a deep breath, no responsible person should pay the funny money which is going around these days,” he said.

“This season we turned over $1.8 million and had a surplus of $7,000. Beyond losing the game that counts, we had a fairly successful season, but we still came close to the bone.

“I can’t see any sense in coming to an agreement with greedy players.”

But aren’t the Tigers making a rod for their own back by allegedly paying imports such as Brian Taylor and Maurice Rioli big money while their home grown players are missing out on the cream?

“Brian Taylor is a full-time employee of the club, you don’t go round getting a king’s ransom for just playing football. He has to work his 40 hours a week, the same as ay other employee,” said Richmond.

Well, what about Raines, will he be playing with Richmond next year?

“There is no way we will let him go,” Richmond said emphatically.

“I’m a little old fashioned because I believe a contract is a contract.

“Geoff signed a three-year contract for more than $100,000 two years ago, but he found himself in difficulty to finance some property.

“We helped him out by loading his payments from his third year to his first.

“That’s how he wanted it.”

“He asked us to review his contract and we were prepared to extend it without prejudice and we put certain propositions.

“But he requested $200,000 for the next three years.

“We have had four separate legal opinions on his contract and we are quite safe.

“The new contract we offered him was heavily weighted his way.

“We are dreadfully disappointed in Geoff. We can look him in the eye because everything we said we would do we have done.

“Hopefully when things settle down, at a family conference things will be sorted out and we can go.

“Geoff is a great player. We would hate to lose him, and the door is always open for him to come back and talk to us.

“About Bryan Wood, our conscience is clear because we offered him 25 per cent more than he was getting and this was unacceptable to him.”

Finally, what is all this talk about Francis Bourke treating players like schoolboys?

“Utter bulldust,” Richmond fired back straight from the lip.

“He’s done a superb job and we were dead stiff to get a wet day in the grand final.”

Maybe so, but I don’t think Ian Rice and Co. will agree with that.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006, 06:38:39 AM »
Wood to stay – say Tigers

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
January 3, 1983

RICHMOND is confident of signing its former captain Bryan Wood for a new contract at a meeting later this week.

Tigers general manager Kevin Dixon said yesterday the club probably would “stitch up” Wood without any problems.

But last night Wood, 27, who had minor surgery three weeks ago to repair a back complaint [which caused him several hamstring and leg injuries during the previous two seasons], would not comment on his future.

Wood completed a three-year agreement with the Tigers at the end of last season.

Richmond is anxious to sign Wood and avoid any further disputes within the club after the walk-outs of David Cloke and Geoff Raines.

Several clubs have shown interest in Wood, who has played in three premiership sides with the Tigers.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 06:40:22 AM »
The Saints (coached by Tony Jewell) and Swans made big plays for Cloke but he would finally sign a 3-year deal with Collingwood.

-----------------------------------

Cloke Chooses Magpies

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Tuesday, January 18, 1983

RICHMOND self exiled captain David Cloke will try to become a Collingwood player today.

Only last minute hurdles put up by the Tigers will prevent him from signing a contract at Victoria Park for at least the next three years.

If there is a hitch, Cloke almost certainly will try to win a clearance through the newly formed VFL Appeals Board. It is likely he will be cleared for a transfer fee of about $170,000.

When asked why he wanted to leave Richmond, he said: “Richmond last made contact with me the day I resigned.

“Obviously the club didn’t and doesn’t want me because it showed no further interest in me after I resigned.

“I heard stories that I was on the market a few days after the grand final. Someone told me that I was placed on the market the day after the grand final.”

Yesterday, the Magpies were given permission by Richmond to speak to Cloke.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 06:33:29 AM »
TIGER WOOD TELLS - WHY I WANT OUT

"They're little things, but it all adds up at the end of the year"

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Thursday, February 17, 1983

Former Richmond captain and winger Bryan Wood yesterday broke his silence and gave the real reasons why he wants to leave Punt Rd.

Wood said: "(coach) Francis Bourke and I have a definite communication problem.

"In the 12 months he has been coach we have had only two voluntary discusslons, by that I mean they have not been organised by anyone or the club.

"Two discussions like that do not seem to me to be a good relationship."

Wood, who has been with Richmond for 13 years and was a member of the 1973-4 and 1980 premiership sides, said: "I did not want it to come this stage. I wanted to leave Richmor!d on nice terms and I've said that the reason why I want a clearance is because I need a change of environment.

"But after (vice-president) Graeme Richmond has twice said publicly that I want to leave because I may not get a regular senior game I have decided to give the real reasons."

Wood has asked for a release to North Melboume, but so far the Tigers have refused to clear him and have placed a $100,000 transfer fee for his clearance.

It now seems certain the newly appointed Appeals Board will decide the stalemate.

Wood said: "The first discussion Francis and I had was when I approached him half-way through the season and tried to sort out why we weren't getting along.   

"The second was in December when Frands came to my home to find out whether I was going to play with Richmond this year.

"There are other minor irritations, which I don't want to go into.

"Things like Francis saying things, which did not happen. They're little things, but it all adds up at the end of the year."

Wood said statements that he wou!d not get a regular senior game with Richmond were nonsense.

"I started the season on a wing, but then I missed games because of injury problems," Wood said.

. "In the matches leading up to the finals I was again playing on a wing.

"And in the two most important matches of the season (the second semi-final and grand final) I played on a wing.

"When the chips were down I was in the side.

"After what Mr Richmond has said I had to clear the air because of my personal pride.

"Mr Richmond has publicly said that the club had offered me an increase of 25 per cent in money, which is true.

"But if the club was concerned that I was not going to get a regular game why would they offer that much more money.

"The stupid thing about it is I would have stayed at Richmond but for the headaches I went through last year."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:35:31 AM »
PIE CLOKE - FOR $150,000

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Tuesday, March 8, 1983

The VFL Appeals Board last night granted former Richmond captain David Cloke clearance to Collingwood, for a figure believed to be about $150,000.

Board chairman Mr John Winneke said the transfer fee would not be made public.
Cloke becomes the second VFL player to win a clearance through the newly appointed Appeals Board, Kelvin Templeton won his way from Footscray to Melbourne two weeks ago.

The argument inside the board room last night centred mainly on the transfer fee, rather than why Richmond should keep Cloke.

It became obvious Richmond were prepared to clear its captain once the Tigers gave Collingwood permission to speak to him.

Mr Winneke said after a 125-minute hearing: "By consent, the appeal of Cloke will be allowed.

"This board directs that he can now play with Collingwood.

"The board determines that a reasonable transfer fee will be paid and it does not propose to announce it publicly. 

"We have determined it to be a reasonable fee for the competing clubs."

Before the hearing, Richmond refused to clear Cloke for less than $200,000, while the Magpies were adamant that they would not pay that figure.

An indication of the outcome was when the Collingwood camp walked out of the room in a happy mood and stayed on for several celebratory drinks in the VFL function room while Richmond representatives left VFL House immediately.

Collingwood board member Mr Bill Weston said both sides were happy with the board's decision.

Richmond president Ian Wilson said: "I have nothing to say."

Richmond had only its president, general manager Kevin Dixon and VFL director Bill Carroll.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 06:39:05 AM »
TIGERS TO APPEAL OVER CLOKE

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Wednesday, March 9, 1983

RICHMOND yesterday afternoon lodged an appeal against the VFL Appeals Board decision over the transfer fee Collingwood was directed to pay for Richmond's David Cloke.

The Richmond executive decided late yesterday to take action because it believes Collingwood should have paid more.

Richmond's VFL director Mr Bill Carroll, who represented the club at the Appeals Board, said last night: "We believe the commercial fee for David Cloke is worth more than the fee decided last night.

"We hope it is all resolved by the two clubs if not then by the complaints committee.

"We were prepared to accept the umpire's decision, but the machinery is there to appeal and to take steps to justify our belief."

The Tigers lodged $2000 with their appeal.

Cloke was cleared by the Appeals Board on Monday night for about $150,000. Richmond had hoped to get around $200,000.

VFL general manager, Mr Jack Hamilton, explained Cloke was still a Collingwood player despite Richmond's appeal over the transfer fee.

The chronological events now are for the VFL to fix a preliminary hearing with the complaints board and the two clubs.

If an agreement is not reached there will be an adjournment for seven days for the two clubs to negotiate an amicable transfer fee.

If they can't come to terms, each club will submit a submission and the complaints committee will decide the transfer fee.

----------------------------------------------

The complaints committee on March 31, 1983, eventually supported Richmond's appeal against the VFL Appeals Board and Cloke went to Collingwood for a transfer fee of $185,000 to the bemusement of the Magpies.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 06:40:58 AM »
PLAYING DAYS ARE OVER FOR WOOD

By Peter Simunovich
The Sun
Wednesday, March 16, 1983

FORMER Richmond captain Bryan Wood last night retired from football.

Wood, 27, has decided not to play again because of a persistent back injury which will not allow him to play football at top level.

He was scheduled to appear before the VFL Appeals Board last night to try to win a clearance from Richmond to North Melbourne.

But last Friday he told North that he probably would retire and has since decided to withdraw his case from the board.

Wood said: "It is not a decision that I made overnight.

"I did a lot of  thinking when I was in hospital after I had surgery to repair a sciatic nerve in my back.

"My retirement had to come sooner or later. Since the operation the injury has improved a lot.

"I have had five different opinions from medical people and doctors have told me that I will be able to play again because the injury will improve.

"But who knows?

"I just know that I wiil not be able to train for a while.

"My retirement has got to happen sooner or later."   

But Wood indicated that if his injury improved sufficiently to resume training in the next two months he wouid look at his future again.

Wood, one of Richmond's most deco­rated players, captained the Tigers in 1981.
 ­
He played in three premiership sides in 1973-74 and 1980. He was also a member of last year's losing grand final team.

Wood - who played 209 games with Richmond - walked out on the club earlier this year after he and coach Francis Bourke were in conflict.

The Tigers refused to clear Wood to North for less than $100,000, while North offered about $60,000.

Late last week, the two clubs met again when North offered about $65,000. A decision was to be made last Friday morning.

When Wood heard about the meeting to decide his clearance, he spoke to North officials and told them about his intention to retIre.

He said: "I have no regrets in football since I started with Richmond with the Under 19s in 1970.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 06:42:22 AM »
THE CLAWS ARE OUT IN TIGERLAND

Ian Wilson - "Richmond has never been happier or more united ... We don't spend money we haven't got. We try to be prudent and responsible. Our players are paid in cash, not IOUs."

By Lou Richards with Tom Prior
The Sun
Tuesday, March 22, 1983

THE Tiger has lifted its ugly head and roars are being heard again in the jungles of Punt Rd.

Fancy savaging a saint like Francis Bourke this early in the season!

"I  have never heard so much rubbish in my life," Richmond President Ian Wilson said, baring his teeth in a snarl.

"You know who started the rumors, don't you? A few dissidents who couldn't stand the pressure.

"But they're gone now - and good luck to them.

"In their absence, Richmond has never been happier or more united."

Maybe so, but the rumblings last week were that there was a volcano about to erupt under the Tiger coach.

(What's new about that at Richmond?)

"The latest rumours could have been caused by Bourke's fury when Tony Jewell called off the St. Kilda practice match at three-quarter time, " Wilson said.

"Francis was very upset and didn't attempt to disguise it.

"As usual, there were bystanders only too happy to spread the word around.

"There are plenty of people who'd just love to see the Tigers knocked on their backsides . . ."

Seems to me I've  heard that story before.

Whenever Richmond is in trouble, top Tiger Wilson and his mate, old "Sabre Tooth" Graeme Richmond, start screaming about how the whole world is against them.

It's not bad psychology either, work­ing like a charm in the past.

The Tigers get their backs up, close ranks and take out any grudges they may have on the opposition.

It's won them at least a couple of premierships in the past 10 years.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going," Wilson snapped, not very originally.

"When we appointed Francis Bourke to replace Jewell we told him we wanted a tough, aggressive and physical side.

"He did the job we wanted and we have complete faith in him, even if a couple of players couldn't hack the pace.

"Francis took the Tigers from seventh in 1981 to the grand final last year.

That's not a bad effort for any coach and one I'm sure a couple other coaches with a lot of high-priced imports would love to equal"

Who was the hard punching Punt Rd president having a go at this time? John Cahill or Ron Barassi? SureIy it wasn't "Bluey" Hampshire!   

"I'm not interested in tipping buckets on Collingwood or Melbourne," Wilson said scowling.
"But it is fair to say we are looking forward to playing them. And St. Kilda too, for that matter."

The Richmond president would not be drawn into a discussion of exploding player payments in his own and opposing clubs.

"Just let's say we don't spend money we haven't got," he said.

"We try to be prudent and responsible.

"But our players are paid in cash, not IOUs."

Wilson, 48,  joined the Richmond com­mittee in 1965 and became president late In 1973.

"When I started in football a handshake wa binding," he said sadly.

"These days even written contracts don't seem to mean much to some players.

"If you want some of them to have an extra practise run you have to ask their guru (lawyer)."

And the big game against Carlton at Princes Park on Saturday?

"We can't wait," Ian Wilson said tigerishly. "We are looking forward to rega­ining our pride."

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 04:48:56 PM »
"We don't spend money we haven't got. We try to be prudent and responsible. Our players are paid in cash, not IOUs."

:-\ :whistle

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd