Author Topic: A-League thread  (Read 245359 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: A-League thread
« Reply #315 on: October 12, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
SEN saying the name of the second Melbourne club will be Heart FC.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #316 on: October 18, 2009, 07:09:45 PM »
Victory came from behind to win away :clapping

Newcastle    1 ........ Haliti '22
Melbourne    3 ....... Archie '62, Pondeljak '80, Hernandez '84

What a weird and unpredictable season. Only 5 points separates the top 6 sides.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #317 on: October 24, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »
Victory back on top of the A-league ladder for tonight at least. 8 straight wins against Adelaide.

Melbourne    3 ....... Dugandzic '18, '56, Leijer '90
Adelaide      1 ....... Hughes '64

Ramps

« Reply #318 on: November 01, 2009, 01:52:58 PM »
The way its going the A League will soon be offering spectators binoculars so they can see other spectators in the ground  ;D

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #319 on: November 01, 2009, 03:58:10 PM »
The way its going the A League will soon be offering spectators binoculars so they can see other spectators in the ground  ;D

Yeah it certainly seems to have lost its "shine" this season

Crowd numbers down across the board. Melbourne's numbers are still the best though in the comp but are down none the less

Don't think the billionaire owner of the Gold Coast is helping things, wanting to cap the crowd numbers - bizzarre stuff indeed :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #320 on: November 01, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
3 straight wins for the Victory.

Perth         1 ............. '20 M. Sterjovski

Melbourne  2 ............. '5 C. Coyne (og), '68 C. Hernandez

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #321 on: November 01, 2009, 10:16:39 PM »

Yeah it certainly seems to have lost its "shine" this season

Crowd numbers down across the board. Melbourne's numbers are still the best though in the comp but are down none the less

Don't think the billionaire owner of the Gold Coast is helping things, wanting to cap the crowd numbers - bizzarre stuff indeed :P
Palmer is an deluded idiot. He's the guy that was on 60 Minutes a while back claiming his billions would turn soccer into the No.1 sport in the country. The reason he is capping crowds to 5000 is so he can avoid some Qld state tax or something like that. It backfired as people on the Gold Coast told him to go forth and multiply by not showing up at all.

The problem for soccer is while the AFL which can now fund expansion itself thanks to massive tv rights $$$, soccer has to resort to relying on soccer's equivalent of the Dr Eddleson's at the Swans in the 80s to find the money to fund it. As we know these guys are impossible to deal with and this usually ends up in tears thanks to their own self-interest taking precedence over the best interests of the sport. IMO the FFA is getting ahead of itself and falling into the trap that the old NSL did. Putting teams into areas that will struggle financially through lack of support when it doesn't have the money to prop them up until the support base rises and the team can become self-sufficient. Plus unlike the AFL and NRL, there's no Free to Air TV rights.

The FFA needs to realise that the domestic comp. is a niche summer sport and that the main popular support for the sport comes via the Socceroos in Australia. It was working well with 8 teams in soccer popular cities and regions. I'd doubt though they'd want to accept this given they want 14 teams eventually. The sport is still controlled by a Sydney-centric board who just as deludedly believe soccer will overtake Aussie Rules and NRL. You hear it on SBS on Sunday afternoons. That kind of talk has been coming out of these soccer-only idiots for decades yet Aussie Rules is still easily No.1 and bigger and richer than ever.

As for crowds the early season start competing with AFL and NRL, more teams and fixturing 5 matches per round (=weeknight games) and a longer season (= more costly membership) would be having an affect on crowd numbers. Apart from Adelaide, Perth, Sydney and Wellington which are up on crowds the other original teams' crowds are down by around 2000-4,000 each. With the big city clubs Melbourne and Sydney now getting a slight break at the top of the ladder on the others you'd expect their crowds to rise as we go deeper into the season. Next week is only the halfway mark of the season.

Anyway a good win by the Victory tonight over in Perth which has been their bogey side. Hernandez would be arguably the best player in the A-league right now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #322 on: November 07, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Melbourne must decide to play crap when I turn up :P lol. Sheesh talk about conceding 4 sucker-punch goals on the counter in the one game :scream. Not sure where the A-league site gets its stats from as Victory dominated general play up until the 2nd goal but just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net even an open one from 5m out  :help.

Sydney lost as well tonight so the ladder has bunched up again.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #323 on: November 09, 2009, 04:41:40 AM »
The second A-league Melbourne club is going to be known as "Sporting Melbourne"

"The A-League’s newest franchise currently operating as Melbourne Heart will be known as Sporting Melbourne.

The second Melbourne team was granted the11th A-League licence and have been working under the title of Heart but when they take the pitch in season 2010/11, fans will know them as Sporting Melbourne.

An inside source has revealed the club’s name and has also indicated that the club will go with a black and white colour combination or red and white hoops like Hamilton Academicals in the Scottish Premier League after conducting widespread research throughout Victoria."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/melbourne-heart-be-known-sporting-melbourne-426681

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »

Ramps

« Reply #325 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:53 PM »
It doesnt matter what they wear, the a league is rooted. The customers are leaving in droves. The Foxtel ratings are plummeting, the clubs are bleeding financially. I dont want to say I told you so ... 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2009, 11:25:49 PM »
Victory back on top of the ladder tonight

Brisbane    0
Melbourne  1 ....... Thompson '8

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2009, 09:16:08 AM »
Melbourne remain top of the ladder after flogging the Gold Coast last night.

Victory        4 ....... Kruse '28, Ward '45, Thomson '54, '68
GC United   0

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #328 on: November 29, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
As someone who only takes a passing interest in soccer, one thing i notice is Archie Thompson name crops up a lot as a goal scorer. He is obviously a finisher, perhaps one of the best in the A league? Why doesn't he get more games with the national side. Some of the socceroo games i have seen they created plenty of opportunities but just couldn't convert. I would have thought someone with his finishing ability is what they need?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2009, 06:33:39 PM »
As someone who only takes a passing interest in soccer, one thing i notice is Archie Thompson name crops up a lot as a goal scorer. He is obviously a finisher, perhaps one of the best in the A league? Why doesn't he get more games with the national side. Some of the socceroo games i have seen they created plenty of opportunities but just couldn't convert. I would have thought someone with his finishing ability is what they need?

Massive leap in standard between here and Europe where most of our internationals play. I guess it is like Andrew Gaze struggling in the NBA. Thompson in the A-League is (relatively speaking) very fast and very skillful. In any decent European league he is not very skillful and just quick. If we took him to the world cup he would be totally ineffective. One of our other strikers, Josh Kennedy is a hack, but he is a tall hack and physically strong so at least he offers something to challenge defenders.