Author Topic: Big challenge for Jay Schulz (Yorke Peninsula Country Times)  (Read 1911 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Big challenge for Jay Schulz (Yorke Peninsula Country Times)
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:13:21 PM »
Big challenge for Jay Schulz
Yorke Peninsula Country Times
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Report: Peter Argent 

A former Central Yorke Cougars junior, Jay Schulz is about to embark on his fifth season of AFL football in 2007.

Having confirmed he has a two-year contract with the Richmond Tigers, the 193 centimetre, 93 kilogram key position prospect believes the next seasons are "make or break".

"At the start, my initial goal is to ready for round one," Schulz said. "Then to cement my place in the league side.

"My main focus at the moment is to work flat out on fitness, as I'm not a natural runner - there is plenty of aerobic and weight work during the early part of pre-season.

"An injury-free season would also help."

In his 34-game tenure, since making his debut in 2003, the 21-year-old (22 in April, next year) said Western Bulldogs 300-game veteran Chris Grant was one of his toughest opponents, along with the Brisbane duo of Daniel Bradshaw and recently retired Justin Leppitsch. Competing against the Tigers' star forward Matthew Richardson at training is a tough exercise, he added.

He confirmed senior coach Terry Wallace is very black-and-white in his outlook on the game; as expected, very professional but a pleasure to work with.

"There hasn't been a lot of expectations around the club because of the rebuilding faze at the Tigers, but it is time we placed them on ourselves," Schulz suggested.

"Now in our third season under 'Plough' (Terry Wallace), we want to be nipping at the heels of the top four teams."

During the break before pre-season, Schulz got back to the family farm on Yorke Peninsula and spent some time in the shearing shed alongside father, Paul, and brother, Adam.

"I do miss the open space and the fresh air on the peninsula," Schulz said. "But I'm learning to love Melbourne - it is a true football town.

"In February, I'm starting a TAFE course on massage therapy."

Tigers assistant coach and dual premiership player with the Kangaroos, David King also believes it is a huge year for Jay Schulz.

"He needs to string a few games together and play a type of game along the lines Chad Cornes does for the Power, being able to pinch hit both up forward and down back," King said.

"Continuity of time on the field is important, so he can pick up the intensity of the game.

"Jay looks like he is ready to totally compete at this level."

Jay Schulz could be one of the emerging players of AFL football in 2007.

"We (the Richmond Football Club) will be looking to challenge for the top eight next year, setting ourselves to win a flag in following couple of seasons," King said about the Tigers' chances during the coming season.

http://kadina.yp-connect.net/~ypct/sport/06/11/14/3.html

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Big challenge for Jay Schulz (Yorke Peninsula Country Times)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:02:55 PM »
BIG 2007 is required Jay.  Good luck with the pre season

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:47:27 AM »
He definitely has the skillz to pay the billz, lets hope he can stay injury free, take some screamers and then use his deadly accuracy to slot through 50-60 goals in 2007.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:44:36 PM »
Go get em Sarge!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 01:51:04 PM »
"My main focus at the moment is to work flat out on fitness, as I'm not a natural runner - there is plenty of aerobic and weight work during the early part of pre-season.

Good to hear he is working hard on his fitness. Most of the time so far Sarge has kicked a goal or two in the first quarter of games then you rarely see him for the rest of the match. He's got the talent but he needs to do the hard yards to last the whole four quarters. Crunch year for Sarge.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:47:14 AM »
Good to hear he is working hard on his fitness. Most of the time so far Sarge has kicked a goal or two in the first quarter of games then you rarely see him for the rest of the match. He's got the talent but he needs to do the hard yards to last the whole four quarters. Crunch year for Sarge.

That's right, the game in Sydney this year, he kicked a couple of first quarter goals, and was that far out in front of his opponent both times it wasn't funny. Can read the play well.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 04:14:05 PM »
"There hasn't been a lot of expectations around the club because of the rebuilding faze at the Tigers, but it is time we placed them on ourselves," Schulz suggested.

Players taking responsibility.  That’s ultimately what we need to see from more of them, if the team is going to improve.

"Continuity of time on the field is important, so he can pick up the intensity of the game.

Always been a Jay Schulz fan and still think he can be an influential player.  Would be good to see him play a few games in a row, spending the majority of the time out on the ground; for his own confidence and motivation levels.

It seems like he needs to develop the enthusiasm for the hard work ahead of him, in order to get somewhere near his potential.  Otherwise he could turn out to be another unfulfilled talent.

Fingers crossed that, at some stage, we will get to see how good he can be.

Love his ‘crash and bash’ style, which has the potential to create lots of opportunities for his teammates, as well as himself.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

blx

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »
yup another one of our gun youngsters on the ropes. really needs to show something this year or he's out the door  :shh