Author Topic: Nuclear power  (Read 7316 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Nuclear power
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:20:24 PM »
Looks like Australia is going to have 25 Nuclear power stations built to supply 1/3 of our electricity. Most will be built along the east coast. The waste will be stored a km underground.

It'll be interesting where they are proposed to be built given the NIMBY factor.

Thoughts?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Nuclear power
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 07:51:14 PM »
Can't see it happening in the short term MT. They are saying it will cost $3 billion per station - I don't think any government would have the guts to actually do it.

Even Bracks was saying today that Victoria woould have to a referendum for one to be built in Victoria

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:31:11 PM »
Yep nuclear costs far more than coal. Their solution: tax the hell out of energy generated by burning fossil fuels so nuclear then becomes competitive. And guess who'll pay the higher bills - the consumer ::)

And just generating 1/3 of our electricity needs doesn't justify the cost either IMO. I was expecting if we went down this path that it would need to become our main energy source. Those in favour of nuclear power seem more interested in the possible $$$ generated from uranium enrichment rather any enviromental concerns but that's no surprise given most of them believe climate change is a myth. 

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:41:59 AM »
 maybe not in this generation but nuclear generated power will be a sure thing and it will be safe and enviro friendly (hard to believe but true)  and part of the push will be because of the following from your post MT but that's no surprise given most of them believe climate change is a myth.  the amount of greenhouse gas from np is extremely small compared to fossil fuels,  we have a coal fired kiln at work burning 380+ tpd, generating copious amounts of nasties into the air i dont think i will see it go np in my working life time but 40 -50 yrs from now for sure 
its true that cost is a factor but advances to technology will lessen the cost to that of coal and gas
other renewable sources like tide, solar, wind, geothermal, will contribute but alone they will not be sufficient to meet the demands of our electrical needs, its been estimated that the average household in 2020 will use 30% more power than we do know as we use 30% more than we did in 1970 look at how many more electic gadgets we have compared to 30 years ago

this is a very emotive topic which will polarise the whole country, be prepared for some very drastic actions from "normal" australia ,but the future generations will carry this through to its fruition
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 04:41:56 PM »
It can be argued that the current Nuclear power stations in the Western world  are operationally fairly safe already taking into account the checks and regulations to maintain modern reactors. The waste is a separate issue but recycling the long-term radioactive components can reduce the total amount of waste produced as well as the time it needs to be sealed off from the environment.

However the costs are still exorbitant especially for Australia where unlike say France we have alternative energy resources at our disposal. If advances in technology over time could make Nuclear power more cost effective and cheaper to run then good. That seems a more logical way of thinking to me. But the report is saying that existing fossil fuel industries will be made artifically more expensive so nuclear can compete. That to me just says higher bills at the consumer end on top of the taxpayer cost and subsidies required to get these things off the ground. And like existing renewable energies, Nuclear power is being planned to provide, in 50 years time, only a minority of our energy needs unlike in France where it currently provides 80% of their electricity. Whose to say that advances in other existing and renewable technologies over the next 40-50 years won't undercut it all. I think there needs to be a broader debate and strategy on energy than just this report.   

Ox

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:25:16 PM »
What of SOLAR energy ???????????

Oh that's right,they cant charge SUN TAX !!

As a society we need to make the move ourselves.

stuff those dog,.paedophiles politicians.

How many little boys do u rekkon Downer and Howard have assaulted in recent trips to Asia ?

Moi

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 07:38:01 PM »
How many little boys do u rekkon Downer and Howard have assaulted in recent trips to Asia ?
He's only at the holding hands stage, Ox

What of SOLAR energy ???????????
In a nation with probably more sun than anywhere else, couldn't agree more

Ox

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 07:40:27 PM »
thats a beauty Moister. :thumbsup :scream

Moi

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 07:49:49 PM »
They store low-level nuclear stuff in hospital and building car parks at the moment.
Do you reckon they're going to be able to convince any electorate to have the heavy stuff in their area?
Not a chance.
Have your reports into having nuclear waste dumps and power stations, but please have the guts to say where they're actually going to go.
Won't happen in these pollies' lifetimes
To have nuclear dump sites, they've got to build them where they're not far enough away to incur massive freight costs.

No Nowingis in my backyard, thanks

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
Someone should tell the French that they can't work - they've got about 45 I think.

It's the only way to go long term but it's such an emotional issue based on half truths by the anti-nuclear lobby that they probably won't be built here. Of course the Labor party know when they are on to a good thing and ask Howard to tell everyone where they are going to be - when all he's done is open up the debate with a report from experts.

Modern sites are extremely safe - the anti lobby still only has minor examples of  safety issues, most spectacularly Chernobyl which was a model that would never be built today.

Solar energy is simply not able to provide base load power - it's been around for 50 years and hasn't progressed very far in that time - cost and effectiveness are still issues.

Nuclear waste is currently stored in inner city basements, as Moi implied, but God forbid we ever try to store it in the middle of nowhere one mile undergound.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 10:00:54 PM »
My guess for Victoria based on newspaper reports is Hastings on Western Port Bay, Latrobe Valley and Point Cook. All have existing freight infrastructure (railways) for delivery of the uranium and near water for cooling the reactors.

Moi

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 10:08:05 PM »
Water

Ted Baillieu - we're gonna build another dam.

Moi - if it ain't raining, Ted, doesn't matter how many effing dams you build, there's still no water.

Vote 1 - Moi  :thumbsup

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 10:30:59 PM »
We've got plenty of water in the Thompson dam - and Ted's going to build a desalination plant as well.

Vote One Ted
Out Moi

Moi

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »
How big are the greenhouse emissions with the operation of a desalinatin plant.

Vote 1 - Moi

Give Mr Speedo  :chuck the flick lol

Moi

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 10:39:06 PM »
We've got plenty of water in the Thompson dam
Then why build another dam?
You build another one and there is no water to fill it, leaves me scratching my head.
We have enough dams - we just don't have rain.

I'd be looking at ways to stop stormwater from escaping back into the ocean.  peees me off when it buckets down but it's washed away into the ocean.