Author Topic: Nuclear power  (Read 7314 times)

Moi

Re: Nuclear power
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 10:47:55 PM »
God forbid we ever try to store it in the middle of nowhere one mile undergound.
You're more au fait with this stuff than I ever will be, MJS, but I don't understand you here?
You wanna add to this?
I thought this got rejected of putting it underground - some company I think wanted to store the world's nuclear waste.

If you think it's unsafe one mile underground in the middle of nowhere, why would anyone want it close to cities, water catchments etc?

Jackstar

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 10:55:16 PM »
Build one at AAMI stadium I say ;)

Offline LondonTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 10:59:45 PM »
What about wind farms?  Plenty popping up all over Europe.

Moi

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »
What about wind farms?  Plenty popping up all over Europe.
They're big and ugly and the same as any of this stuff - most people say not in my backyard. 
But worth a look at before building big greenhouse emitting desalination plants, wasting money on building dams
More R & D into solar, wind and tidal, I reckon. 
Nuclear energy works, but it's terribly expensive and while they're more progressed from Chernobyl that that kind of thing more than likely wouldn't happen, there is still an element of risk of the castastrophic.

Jackstar

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 11:11:22 PM »
Wind farms hey, lets all down a few Souvalkis and things should be right ;D

Moi

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 11:47:36 PM »
We should leave this world better than when we came into it.
Clean, renewable energy is the future.

http://www.acfonline.org.au/uploads/res_Renewable.pdf

Moi

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:59:14 PM »
We should leave this world better than when we came into it.
Clean, renewable energy is the future.

http://www.acfonline.org.au/uploads/res_Renewable.pdf
Yes, I know, the world will be a better place when I leave it lol
Suffer in the meantime hahaha!

Nite
 :lol

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »
God forbid we ever try to store it in the middle of nowhere one mile undergound.
You're more au fait with this stuff than I ever will be, MJS, but I don't understand you here?
You wanna add to this?
I thought this got rejected of putting it underground - some company I think wanted to store the world's nuclear waste.

If you think it's unsafe one mile underground in the middle of nowhere, why would anyone want it close to cities, water catchments etc?

Sorry Moi - my sarcasm got in the way.
What I was saying is that we currently store nuclear waste in places like Peter Mcallum and Lucas Heights but when anyone suggests we encase the stuff in glass or concrete and put it a mile underground it's not safe! I believe it is.

As far as green house emissions from a desalination plant - what are they? I've just come back from Shanghai - took some pictures but unfortunately can't see anything because of the toxic fog. They churn out more crap in a week than we would in a year - it was unbelievable. My throat was sore first couple of days but then I got used to it - turned green though.

Moi

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
LMAO@my clean air, clean water, clean everything as I sit here polluting the air with my own smoke  :rollin
Yep, bury the waste a mile deep in the middle of nowhere and throw in some pollies as well  :thumbsup

Ox

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2006, 06:28:30 PM »
blast the waste into space and hope it just keeps going.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2006, 06:55:25 PM »
blast the waste into space and hope it just keeps going.

That's fine as long as nothing goes wrong with the rocket. If there's a malfunction at launch or on the way up in the atmosphere and the rocket explodes then oh oh  :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »
As far as green house emissions from a desalination plant - what are they? I've just come back from Shanghai - took some pictures but unfortunately can't see anything because of the toxic fog. They churn out more crap in a week than we would in a year - it was unbelievable. My throat was sore first couple of days but then I got used to it - turned green though.

Desalination plants require alot of energy to run them so if you use fossil fuel to supply the energy then that contributes greenhouse emissions. They also produce waste (hypersaline brine) which much be disposed of.

Another dam will only work (in the future of course as no rain now will do bugger all) if the run-offs are independent of exisitng run-offs to other dams. It's simplistic to say "just build a dam" unless you state where you are going to build one (same thing goes for the nuclear argument). The problem we have now is our rain patterns have changed (moved south to coastal regions) and so we are getting reduced run-offs.

You'll find newly built homes in new estates in Berwick, Pakenham etc ... come with solar panels on roofs and water tanks included. I wonder how much water and greenhouse emissions could be saved and how much more efficient we could become with our existing resources if we all went down this path; not just with new homes?!   

Offline mjs

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »
Here is an article about proposals for desalination plants in California that you might find interesting.

http://www.mofo.com/news/updates/files/update02222.html

regards

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2006, 05:18:53 PM »
Here is an article about proposals for desalination plants in California that you might find interesting.

http://www.mofo.com/news/updates/files/update02222.html

regards

A fairly balanced view mjs. The Californian economy is larger than even most countries so you would have to see if the costs/savings there would also apply here in Oz to the same degree.

Moi

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 01:23:01 PM »
They also produce waste (hypersaline brine) which much be disposed of.
Hasn't this normally gone back into the ocean and stuffed up the marine life in the area as a consequence?