Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 306698 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #1140 on: May 08, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
funny that someone that failed in the industry would bring what someone else was doing 12 years ago.

Good point Al

the claw

« Reply #1141 on: May 08, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
Everyone starts at the bottom.

I'm a fan of Hartley and think he is a valuable asset to the club.
im a fan of the process im not so keen on hartley.   we can do much better than what we have done. hartley has taken a plethora of deficient players. a lot of the  players he has bought to the club probably has been an upgrade in some sort of way or other. i call it value adding and just my opinion the vast majority odf mature recruits he has bought to the club have themselves needed to be value added. the club seems to fail in almost all cases to recognise  that this is the case.   we take an ordinary or average player  and improve an area and that seems to be good enough  when the need is there to upograde that player.

sean grigg at the time was a good get but ffs we  were always going to have to upgrade on him down the track. the simple reason for this is he has too many weaknesses in his game. houli is another. been a good get served a purpose and improved marginally an area we were poor in. its time to look for the upgrade.

imo harley has just two really good gets and they are maric and morris. 

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1142 on: May 08, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »
Out: Hartley

In: the claw :bow :bow
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1143 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:55 PM »

im a fan of the process im not so keen on hartley.   we can do much better than what we have done. hartley has taken a plethora of deficient players. a lot of the  players he has bought to the club probably has been an upgrade in some sort of way or other. i call it value adding and just my opinion the vast majority odf mature recruits he has bought to the club have themselves needed to be value added. the club seems to fail in almost all cases to recognise  that this is the case.   we take an ordinary or average player  and improve an area and that seems to be good enough  when the need is there to upograde that player.

sean grigg at the time was a good get but ffs we  were always going to have to upgrade on him down the track. the simple reason for this is he has too many weaknesses in his game. houli is another. been a good get served a purpose and improved marginally an area we were poor in. its time to look for the upgrade.

On one hand you say was Grigg was a good get at the time, then you say Maric and Morris are his only good gets. Like I keep saying, if Dimma wants to keep playing him, then it's on him. We would all be ok if Grigg and Houli were depth players only getting a game when we had a few injuries or young guys are out of form.
You cannot blame BH for this. He has more than done his job during a horrible time of trying to get our list competitive with compromised drafts.
It's funny how a bad start to the season can all of a sudden mean we have a bad list. We won 15 games last year with generally the same list.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1144 on: May 08, 2014, 10:47:06 PM »

On one hand you say was Grigg was a good get at the time, then you say Maric and Morris are his only good gets. Like I keep saying, if Dimma wants to keep playing him, then it's on him. We would all be ok if Grigg and Houli were depth players only getting a game when we had a few injuries or young guys are out of form.
You cannot blame BH for this. He has more than done his job during a horrible time of trying to get our list competitive with compromised drafts.
It's funny how a bad start to the season can all of a sudden mean we have a bad list. We won 15 games last year with generally the same list.

I lean towards this thinking.
besides I reckon Hardwick is already on his way to upgrading on a few of these mature bandaid players now that the younger players are ready to come through. It's happening right now even if some don't see it..

the claw

« Reply #1145 on: May 09, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »

besides I reckon Hardwick is already on his way to upgrading on a few of these mature bandaid players now that the younger players are ready to come through. It's happening right now even if some don't see it..
reckon your pretty well aware i was very critical of the list last yr despite winning 15 games.

let me rephrase it for you. grigg was a good get in the sense he cost nothing and he was an upgrade on players we had.  he is not a long term keeper or should not be.  in that sense he was not a good get.  a short term fix if you like. mate you or i could target decent short term upgrades it really isnt a hard thing to do.

grigg and houli were both good gets at the time because they were actually improvements on players we had. my argument has always been we at some point would need to upgrade the upgrades because of the obvious defociencies in their game. blair keeps on taking players who clearly are not long term keepers and have glaring weaknesses .imo both can be replaced fairly easily if your half decent at your job  and should have been by now.

maric quite simply put is irreplaceable and apert from carrying injury has given very good service. hes given heaps more than any ruckman on our list even when injured and is always competetive. .morris performs his primary  role very well and will be kept as he should be. in taking him we filled a huge hole he stops players well enough that he wont be replaced.

i did a list of mature picks taken in hartleys time late last yr, and the list is large yet the quality and long term  success rate is deplorable. the only thing defenders of him wanted to debate was how long hes been at the club and blame jackson for the failures. its always someone elses fault with our supporters.
 if we cant do better than what has been recruited you can look forward to many more yrs in the wilderness, we simply have to do better. and that is the bottom line and is all im saying.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1146 on: May 09, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »

reckon your pretty well aware i was very critical of the list last yr despite winning 15 games.

let me rephrase it for you. grigg was a good get in the sense he cost nothing and he was an upgrade on players we had.  he is not a long term keeper or should not be.  in that sense he was not a good get.  a short term fix if you like. mate you or i could target decent short term upgrades it really isnt a hard thing to do.

grigg and houli were both good gets at the time because they were actually improvements on players we had. my argument has always been we at some point would need to upgrade the upgrades because of the obvious defociencies in their game. blair keeps on taking players who clearly are not long term keepers and have glaring weaknesses .imo both can be replaced fairly easily if your half decent at your job  and should have been by now.

maric quite simply put is irreplaceable and apert from carrying injury has given very good service. hes given heaps more than any ruckman on our list even when injured and is always competetive. .morris performs his primary  role very well and will be kept as he should be. in taking him we filled a huge hole he stops players well enough that he wont be replaced.

i did a list of mature picks taken in hartleys time late last yr, and the list is large yet the quality and long term  success rate is deplorable. the only thing defenders of him wanted to debate was how long hes been at the club and blame jackson for the failures. its always someone elses fault with our supporters.
 if we cant do better than what has been recruited you can look forward to many more yrs in the wilderness, we simply have to do better. and that is the bottom line and is all im saying.
IMO there is only one reason we have had to take experienced players from other clubs over the last 4 years and that because our recruiting has been SH/7 house for so long and our list had suffered. Maybe not all FJ fault but a recruiting issue all the same.

the claw

« Reply #1147 on: May 09, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »

IMO there is only one reason we have had to take experienced players from other clubs over the last 4 years and that because our recruiting has been SH/7 house for so long and our list had suffered. Maybe not all FJ fault but a recruiting issue all the same.
mate i agree wholeheartedly. the thing is its not just one thing its a combination of things. we have failed with so many draft picks under jackson even a lot of  the first rounders are questionable.
i did a post recently stating we had 26 nd picks in the second and third rounds from 05 to last yr and only one shane freakin edwards can be considered a success seeing as hes played over 100 games. even with him i think it a failed pick as i thought he should have been delisted at the end of 2010.

i firmly advocated we take mature players even just to value add because 4 yrs ago we had a dearth of experienced and mature players. that situation is no longer, and for me the process had to change at the end of 2012.

it really is not hard to fathom, as  posters like yourself and a few others here grasp very quickly the fact that as the list changes the priorities do as well.

yeah im critical because i know we should have done much better than what we have done.  recruiting is ordinary right across the board and list management remains imo a basket case.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1148 on: May 10, 2014, 08:00:18 AM »
Get rid of him, list clogger, a hang over from our poor recruitment days.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1149 on: May 10, 2014, 10:50:07 AM »
2006 draft

riewoldt
shane edwards
collins
king

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1150 on: May 10, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »
^ Pretty good draft.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1151 on: May 10, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
^ two time Coleman medallist (even if they don't really count)

the claw

« Reply #1152 on: May 10, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1153 on: May 10, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
Have a look at it. Not much talent there. We did ok considering what was available.

Try not to cherry pick with hindsight..

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #1154 on: May 10, 2014, 11:07:45 PM »
Fair rookie draft that year.....any two of Wellingham, Harbrow, Suckling or Macaffer ahead of Tasman Clingan & Jake King would've been handy.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.